XF 1.3 Handling images with XF

Neil E.

Does XF have any built-in image processing ability? What I'm wondering about is image resizing on upload. On most forums the admin decides what he/she wants for a maximum image size and then sets that limit board-wide. I suppose this is to control how much server space is taken by attached images. The downside is that it forces uses to do their own image resizing.

When I upload images to this support forum, there doesn't seem to be any size limit; however perhaps I am just making reasonably sized images when I create them. I have installed Chris D's Responsive Width / Height Media Embeds code and really like the way it works. I want to achieve image styling similar to these embedded videos. Having images adjust to the size of their containing element would be slick. Could similar code be done for images?

I'm not looking to set up a photo gallery. I would rather handle images in a way that would work well for both mobile and desktop users. I ran across this site http://adaptive-images.com/ and it looks interesting. I'd like mobile users to be able to upload photos directly to my forum. My users can upload directly to Facebook and say that they want the same functionality with XF. Any suggestions?

From the FAQ:
1) Server-side file size (KB) resizing is not supported
2) Uploaded files are first resized based on the maximum physical dimensions.......if the resized image is below the (KB) limit, then it will be allowed.

I take this to mean that the image volume and the file dimensions must both meet the set limit. So the XF processing only checks that the image is within the set limits. Can anyone recommend a method that would resize any image upload to the maximum limit? That way the user does not need to do any work to his/her upload image. Once an image is on the server at a realistic size, I can style it using media queries.

Top Bottom