Hand/finger pain from computing

Jainic

Any good ideas on a good ergonomic mouse for small hands?

You know... after years of mouse clicking, I think my right hand is giving up on me! The right index finger feels stiff and it hurts when I clench into a fist. And I've tremendously reduced my time on the computer because of this problem :(

Does anyone else have this issue and have good ideas on relieving and improving hand pain?

Jake I have used that mouse for 3 years and it was great! Just recently I changed to the small portable mouse and I started having this issue more. Maybe I should keep using that instead ... hmm.. I started using the smaller mouse instead of the trackball because I felt like I was stretching my index to press the optimal region of the left click. Now if they made that trackball mouse a bit smaller I'd buy it again

Mouse-hand ergonomics are very important.

Take a read though the pages here, and the different types of grip, http://www.razerzone.com/mouseguide/ergonomic

Smaller mice will force your hand into a claw or fingertip grip, which, *many* people are not used to using and when coupled with a poorly designed mouse can cause issues.

You'll also want to see what position your arm is at and how your chair is.

Mouse ergonomics aren't just your hand and wrist, but also apply to the position and placement of your elbow and to the tension in your shoulder and neck.

Logitech make some kick ass ergonomic packages. You don't want a small mouse. You want something big but light and also comfortable to use. The more neutral the position of your hand, the easier it'll be.

I like the standard Microsoft mouse the best. Also make sure your arm lays flat on the table like this:

pic001.webp

Nice. I thought I was the only one that still uses an old wired mouse.

I use the Logitech LX3 Optical Mouse. It's long and flat which doesn't leave your fingers bunched up.

Smaller mice will force your hand into a claw or fingertip grip, which, *many* people are not used to using and when coupled with a poorly designed mouse can cause issues.

Logitech make some kick ass ergonomic packages. You don't want a small mouse. You want something big but light and also comfortable to use. The more neutral the position of your hand, the easier it'll be.

Yes this is true. My hand is really really small though so I purchased a small wired Logitech mouse but I think it is way too small. I wish those trackball M570 were made just a bit smaller! Or maybe someone can make custom fitted trackball mouse?? :eek:

You know... after years of mouse clicking, I think my right hand is giving up on me! The right index finger feels stiff and it hurts when I clench into a fist. And I've tremendously reduced my time on the computer because of this problem :(

Have you seen a doctor about this. It might not have anything to do with ergonomics but related to genetics.

@AndyB - Really? That's a shocker.. I do have small wrists so maybe that affects it as well. Anyway, I think I'll do more research on this for sure.

@AndyB - Really? That's a shocker.. I do have small wrists so maybe that affects it as well. Anyway, I think I'll do more research on this for sure.

I talked with a physical therapists that specializes in hands the other day and she indicated that genetics is very likely the cause and not ergonomics. Seeing a doctor about your pain is your best bet IMHO.

That Looks like my MS mouse! :)

And if YOU'RE tired from computing, take a few minutes away from the computer... Relax, breathe, stretch your arms, go to sleep, move your hand around a lot, or whatever makes you feel at ease.

Even normal people are tired from wrists/hands - it's not exclusive to "short" or "small" folks.

Hope you dont mind if I put a similar but not identical problem on this thread. I'm not a traoined touch typist and don't use my outer fingers. The ring finger on my left hand is always swollen on the middle section and below and sometimes sore. Right hand same but only slightly.
No big deal except I'm afraid I'm logging problems for later like rheumatism or something.
I used to bind the left one, splint it to the middle fnger to rest it. It tends to float in a hooked position while I type.
Also my knuckles have little swellings between them which on the left hand get a bit sore when I'm typing a lot. Rubbing eases it slightly but not much.
I'm a writer and when the raw urge grips me I do type for many hours - like 6 at a time.

I talked with a physical therapists that specializes in hands the other day and she indicated that genetics is very likely the cause and not ergonomics. Seeing a doctor about your pain is your best bet IMHO.

This sounds like more self-serving BS from the for-profit medical industry. The implication is basically that you can't do anything about your condition so you are advised to see a doctor. And what can the doctor do? They can cut open your wrists or get you dependent on pain meds, or prescribe physical therapy which you can just as easily do yourself with some simple carpal release self-massage, ice packs, stretching routines, and a $100 cold laser and $100 ultrasound wand if you want to use those modalities. There is no need to spend thousands of dollars to have some one do this for you.

As for the genetics thing, I suppose it's possible that people can have genetically narrow carpal tunnels which makes them more susceptible to abuse. That doesn't mean genetics is the cause. You need to address the root cause which is that you are physically abusing your wrists with repetitive action using incorrect ergonomics. Genetically narrow or not, the carpal tunnel will not inflame if you don't abuse it.

The root cause of repetitive strain conditions like this is the repetition. Reduce repetition by exercising the opposing action of your wrist and forearm. That means exercising the supinating action of the forearm in opposition to pronating which is what you do with a mouse. While using a supine forearm posture you can do hand crunches and other finger exercises and stretches. Working the opposing action will reduce the repetition and balance out your hands, wrists, and forearms.

There are also often dietary links to visceral conditions like inflammation, but that is a huge subject. Generally speaking, I suggest eliminating sugars and carb-heavy foods. You don't have to go vegan or anything. For example, when I eat at In-N-Out I get two burgers instead of a burger and fries because fries are pure carbs. And I drink water instead of soda. Mineral supplementation can also have a huge effect, including the trace minerals like boron and manganese which are important for connective tissues like the carpal band. I also personally minimize my dairy intake. I add a little bit of milk to my protein shakes, but I ask for no cheese on my burgers. These are just some simple tips with respect to diet.

But definitely get a thumb trackball like I posted previously. Trust me on this. I got really bad carpal tunnel when I was only 20 years old. I tried massage, ice, meds, everything. The trackball is what cured it. What it does physically is that it slightly eases the pronation of the forearm which opens up the wrist. It also transfers the job of moving the cursor from the entire arm to just the thumb which allows the wrist to relax.

Top Bottom