Guest Front Page

Custos

I am creating an invite only forum and I am aiming to have the front page for someone not logged in to be a short message w/ the standard login option.

I have been an accomplished Drupal and IPB developer, but I always struggle getting involved w/ new interfaces. I usually disect a few free mods to see how they work, and change them to do what I want, and then build off of that -- after doing that a few times I tend to understand the platform.

Any advice where to start w/ the above goal in mind?

Obviously my initial thoughts are to create a new theme and assign it to the Guest user, I just want to make sure this is the appropriate approach. Or should I use my master template and use a conditional?

I would just use a conditional rather than create a new theme.

Coupled with user group permissions it should be fairly simple to do.

When 1.1 is released there will be notices, which you can use for this, unless of course you want to completely change the forum home page.

Yes, the forum is going to be white hat information security related, so the front page is strictly going to be a landing page with a short statement. I just need to figure out where/how I can assign template based on user groups. I think that will be the best approach for now.

I am thinking about a conditional redirect to a new page or something like that. I know it seems like a very simple issue -- just a good way for me to gauge how people develop in XF.

I am thinking a conditional redirect to a page that forces a small theme. Unless there is a way to have the page not use the standard wrappers.

After thinking about this, my ultimate question -- is there an ACP based mechanism to say "User Group A Must use Template A"

Sorry for the roundabout way of asking this.

Just set the forum permissions to hide them from all members except for the groups you want to allow.

Then add a notice for the groups you want to target.

Top Bottom