Guess what? Nobody uses email anymore

I like receiving email subscriptions from sites I don't regularly visit or participate in. If I post there and don't visit often, the email is a good way to inform me that someone replied to a thread of mine. Sites that I visit daily, however, I hate receiving a ton of emails from them. So I disable the subscriptions and check my Subscribed/Watched threads list.

I use it all the time, never use Twitter or Facebook for communication. I'm willing to bet people waste more time and money with those sites than with email too.

I think email marketing is a dead end nowadays. That's what was done here, when you changed all members options and forced receipt of admin email. That is vastly different from opt-in email marketing, which has great success.

Have people stopped using email? No, it's widely used.

Have people stopped opening things in their email that they otherwise don't expect? Absolutely, due to the global trend of electronic fraud, most people globally are becoming highly cautious with email they do not normally expect... and your experiment did exactly that, being you overrode member settings to not receive email, then they received it, and an announcement on your forum isn't going to do a thing due to the majority of your members don't use your forum now, as people move on, and those that do, who actually took any notice of the announcement and remembered it as important when receiving the email that they are not normally receiving from your site!

I would say your experiment methods were wrong from the start.

If you're going to perform an experiment with email marketing as you have, then you need to do it with an opt in list of people who actually say they want to receive your email, thus they expect it in their inbox and not delete it as spam or such. You're better off to send out 30 emails to users who want them, then measure that click through rate, than 20k plus to every member of your site, most of which aren't even active any longer, and will delete it or as you said, no longer use that email address / it went to spam directly.

If I did that on my site, even with an announcement, I would expect little positive results, as the majority are overtly cautious of emails already from discussions on such topics due to online fraud / already being defrauded at some point / identity theft at some point.

I think a better experiment would be to advertise across your site a new monthly newsletter, giving people time to change their settings or using an external opt-in / opt-out email program that can track as accurately, then knowing how many are being sent, use that figure to measure success.

You increase opt-in members to such monthly newsletters by advertising special promotions only available to subscribed readers / free upgrades, etc etc... that way active members subscribe because they want something for nothing, even if it is only one free upgrade to the first person who does x.

It's the other way around on my site... People are specifically asking for e-mail notifications and it has a huge impact on my forum traffic. Sadly because of the amount of returning e-mails and obvious traffic limitations I'm unable to send as much I used to.

It's the other way around on my site... People are specifically asking for e-mail notifications and it has a huge impact on my forum traffic.
Yes, but they are opting into wanting notifications by email, which is effective versus, what was done in this experiment by forcing all users options to a default "accept" status, so suddenly every past and current member has an "out of the blue" email in their inbox from a site they once registered, or have forgotten about.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone sends it off to the server company for spamming out of the 20k members receiving it.

Yes, but they are opting into wanting notifications by email, which is effective versus, what was done in this experiment by forcing all users options to a default "accept" status, so suddenly every past and current member has an "out of the blue" email in their inbox from a site they once registered, or have forgotten about.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone sends it off to the server company for spamming out of the 20k members receiving it.

I'm with you about the ethics Anthony. I'm not sending any of my members who disabled to receive e-mail notifications and point out in every e-mail where and how they can turn of that feature. Around 3000 of my members choose not to receive any and they get none. I try my best to detect users whose e-mails bounced reason of inactivity, inbox capacity or other reasons. I barely get complaints but when I do, I apologise and deactivate it myself (since the user was unable to do it by himself or missed it)

Here's the scoop, at least IMHO. I had to deal with whitelisting issues and worked damn hard to get our email to go to the inbox. In many systems, if your IP address/domain are reported for spam, your emails will go directly to the "junk mail" folder. We haven't talked about the users' tendency to power delete given there is so much spam as well. So it is very possible that many of your users either never saw the email at all or saw it and deleted it.

Every once in a while I'll have some idiot who won't click "unsubscribe" from a thread. I have it set as "on" by default since posters post a question and want to know there is an answer. (Otherwise they post their email in public asking for people to email them privately.) Instead of just clicking unsubscribe, these ultra-super-mind-bogglingly lazy posters will click "spam" in their AOL account and nail your site to the blacklisted wall.

Just some thoughts on this topic.

We should probably keep up with the times. 10 years ago, sending an email subscription was the thing to do, maybe today I should send them a tweet with the link to the updated thread, or a Facebook message, whatever. I really hope "subscribe with twitter" is the next killer option in XenForo.
Noooooooooooooooooo!

Again, I have a simpler solution for this.

Simply put up a "board closed" message with links to Facebook and Twitter, suggesting members go there instead. Saves writing masses of complicated code to achieve the same end result.

Instead of just clicking unsubscribe, these ultra-super-mind-bogglingly lazy posters will click "spam" in their AOL account and nail your site to the blacklisted wall.
I suppose it would help if the unsubscribe link was more visible. In vBulletin, you really have to search for it way at the bottom of the email.

When I receive an email from here, I delete it and go straight to the site. So while they may not be "directly" clicking the links in the email, they are getting it and being reminded to check the site out.

And I don't think email marketing is dead. I just think it has to be utilized different. I think Newsletters are pretty useless now days. The only use I can see with email campaigns is to run a query to see who's been a paying supporter of the site within the last year and who has gone inactive. Then emailing those users essentially reminding them of the site and sending them a 20% off discount code.

This will get you some inactive members back and put some money in your pocket with little effort.

Half the time that I get emails from XenForo I glance, read what I need, but I'm usually reading it on my phone. I am usually busy enough and want the notification to stay so when I get home i know to check and the site still reminds me.

I use them as glances so I know what I'm going into when I get to a site. I hardly ever click on the links.

I use e-mail and I still see people using e-mail still..

I agree with Brandon that your conversion rate is poor. You have 5 seconds to grip your userbase via e-mails. Only 5 seconds, that's why your conversion rate is low.

To get better you need a better topic title, and better description of your topic. Grab them at the beginning, not at the end.

I'm a big feed reader (RSS, Atom); I really like how FluxBB forum software has topic specific feeds, that will be the day.

Noooooooooooooooooo!

Again, I have a simpler solution for this.

Simply put up a "board closed" message with links to Facebook and Twitter, suggesting members go there instead. Saves writing masses of complicated code to achieve the same end result.

LMAO!!! Have to say I'm with Mark on this one. Using Twitter and Facebook to send out notifications to users. Na, sorry - don't agree with that one at all. Not everyone users them anyway. Your also making everything reliant on 3rd party sources once again, not to mention Facebook makes more changes to break things than I change underpants each week.

What a crazy idea this one is. Why don't we all just be done with it and use Facebook instead of running a forum. :)

I have never used the email blast and I'm extremely interested in it because I will be having a need to very soon. I'm worried that my host will block some because it would seem like I'm spamming. I know this is a tad off topic as I'm not doing it to drum up traffic, but I have never used the email blast so I know little to nothing about what questions to ask to have a smooth event.

Bad idea I think in general to start blasting your members with emails to get more return visits. Same thing when some forums abuse the "News Letter" option, is there really any need to keep spamming news letters once a week, or once a month. If they do that to me, I block them and report them for spamming in Hotmail. I also never use that forum again.

Never a good idea to abuse emails sent out. There's enough junk mail on the web as it is without forum owners adding to it.

My case is one that I hope won't be used very often. One of our oldest (as in time not age) is not doing well health-wise. The email blast will be informational and not to drive traffic.

Top Bottom