Growth rate??

My problem is that at first it felt like he was trying to discredit what I was trying to say, and then he did his own test to (it's his wording, not mine) "put money where my mouth is." I can be wrong sometimes, and I can admit I am wrong, but when I have the knowledge already ready to make a response. I don't want people to be throwing "you're wrong, this is right" yadda, yadda kind of condescending posts. It rubs me the wrong way, I know DBA wasn't trying to be offensive, but these posts just rubs me the wrong way on the basis of telling the other person he's wrong in the same tone I was just saying.
There's mass marketing (similar to what you're doing) and then there's targeted marketing (what I did). Yes they both have their place in advertising.

The reason I said similar to what you're doing is because even mass marketing is targeted. Lets say that Activision is going to market a new COD game. Like you said, they have a huge audience base, so they'll probably do more of a mass marketing campaign. However they'll still target this campaign to a certain extent. You probably won't see their TV commercial on the Weather Channel as they'd get an awful ROI due to that channel's demographic.

Same with their ad blast on Facebook, yes they'd probably keep it more on the mass/open targeting. For one they're trying to get new people that haven't bought a previous COD game to buy this one. However at the same time they'll most likely still do some basic targeting, for example no one over 50 and limits on countries. The reason they wouldn't aggressively target hardcore COD users is because that group would buy that game regardless.

Now on to advertising your FB page. Are you trying to get people that have never heard of COD or the ones that play all the time? If you're trying to help out Activision, by all means mass advertise. However if you're looking to build your page I'd strongly suggest targeting your audience as closely as possible. Go after the people you know will 'like' your page, this will make your money go a lot further and increase activity on your page. A couple key things on increasing your presence on FB is by keeping your Reach and Talking About This stats up.

You know I think I'll just stop there, not sure why I'm even bothering to share this, people pay good money for this stuff.

You know I think I'll just stop there, not sure why I'm even bothering to share this, people pay good money for this stuff.
Awe, c'mon, DBA. You don't have to be like that!
There's mass marketing (similar to what you're doing) and then there's targeted marketing (what I did). Yes they both have their place in advertising.
See, now that's better. :)
The reason I said similar to what you're doing is because even mass marketing is targeted. Lets say that Activision is going to market a new COD game. Like you said, they have a huge audience base, so they'll probably do more of a mass marketing campaign. However they'll still target this campaign to a certain extent. You probably won't see their TV commercial on the Weather Channel as they'd get an awful ROI due to that channel's demographic.
Your analogy is completely different from what I was trying to say. Of course I wouldn't want to advertise on Weather Channel, but I would indeed advertise on FOX, than FX Networks. Why? Because of the viewership. FOX doesn't air a lot of mature shows, even though they do air some mature shows (Hell's Kitchen belongs on FX Networks, but FOX allowed Ramsey's antics to go on for what? 7 seasons?) I would put COD there.

Let me put it this way: FX Network gained a few video game advertisements over the last 3 months alone. Halo 4 trailers started to show up during Sons of Anarchy, during the lead-up to Halo 4 release day. That was good product placement. But it would have been a lot better to put it on FOX's television network because of their reach. I mean, I didn't even know about Hell's Kitchen until my cousins talked about the show. I'm not too crazy about cooking. Don't get me wrong, I like cooking and it's essential to our livelihood... but it's not my hobby, like it is for one of my cousins.

Point is, advertising on TV isn't the case of gender targeting anymore. It used to be, but not anymore. Once they see your ad, and they like it, they'll most likely tell their friends or family about it and/or buy it. I just thought Facebook is sort of the same way, a variable, if you will. Just going by what I said, some people don't have video games or call of duty as their favorite subjects in their profile. This won't be a 20% margin, either, it's going to be more than that.
Same with their ad blast on Facebook, yes they'd probably keep it more on the mass/open targeting. For one they're trying to get new people that haven't bought a previous COD game to buy this one. However at the same time they'll most likely still do some basic targeting, for example no one over 50 and limits on countries. The reason they wouldn't aggressively target hardcore COD users is because that group would buy that game regardless.
Actually, they do aggressively target hardcore COD players on facebook. They (Activision) want them to talk about COD and increase customer engagement. I mean, there are only, one million likes - what the #@^&? Are you #@^&ing kidding me? A typical Call of Duty title sells an upward of 20 million each installment in the series. That amount of likes is very low in ratios against the amount of copies sold.
Now on to advertising your FB page. Are you trying to get people that have never heard of COD or the ones that play all the time? If you're trying to help out Activision, by all means mass advertise. However if you're looking to build your page I'd strongly suggest targeting your audience as closely as possible. Go after the people you know will 'like' your page, this will make your money go a lot further and increase activity on your page. A couple key things on increasing your presence on FB is by keeping your Reach and Talking About This stats up.
The reach has skyrocketed since Black Ops 2 came out... See for yourself:
CODFB.webp

And each article is worth....around 1,500 a pop...

CODFV1k.webp

And each article is worth....around 1,500 a pop...

That isn't much in the Call of Duty Facebook World...

Considering the pages (likes):

Call of Duty Black Ops - 14Mil
Modern Warfare 3 - 4.6Mil
World at War - 6.3Mil
Modern Warfare 2 - 6Mil

And

Forum - Call of Duty has 386 likes.

It comes across to me you feel like you can thrive on that "CODForum" name alone. I don't see it. Might just be me, or you are in it for whatever Adsense money you make. But as far as thriving and growing, again, I just can't see it. Maybe I am missing something though, who knows.

That isn't much in the Call of Duty Facebook World...

Considering the pages (likes):

Call of Duty Black Ops - 14Mil
Modern Warfare 3 - 4.6Mil
World at War - 6.3Mil
Modern Warfare 2 - 6Mil

And

Forum - Call of Duty has 386 likes.
Figures. The highest has been Black Ops thus far. :(
It comes across to me you feel like you can thrive on that "CODForum" name alone. I don't see it. Might just be me, or you are in it for whatever Adsense money you make. But as far as thriving and growing, again, I just can't see it. Maybe I am missing something though, who knows.
Are you saying I should give up on CODForums?

Because I'm seeing a lot of these Call of Duty "forums" thriving...

www.thecodforums.com (Formerly COD4Boards/Forums)

385,783 Threads
1,132,279 Posts
123,239 Members

That's over the course of 6 years.

www.cod247.com (Formerly BlackOpsForum/MW3Forum)

75,294 Threads
948,153 Posts
42,954 Members

That's over the course of 3 short years. BlackOpsForum was extremely popular at the time of creation.

And now, not to be outdone: www.blackops2forum.com (The community is a mix of 3 different communities, one of them is MW3Forum)

9,658 Threads
114,595 Posts
8,529 Members

That's over the course of a measly year.

I strongly believe that I can capture at least half of what these guys are doing. I feel close to my goal than I have been since I moved it to xenforo, and then past MW3's launch. MW4 is already rumored, and I've already gotten the lead on that. Voila.

I will surpass MW3Blog's numbers.

Registrations, posts, active community... that is what I mean.
It tells me, and it's supposed to tell you [and everyone else] how much market there is for a Call of Duty forum. In fact, COD4Boards/COD4Forums inspired me to take this risk of buying CODForums in the first place. Turns out, I was at the right time, at the right place. :)
viral=20K unique visits a year? :scratches head:
Try double that. :D

CODF47k.webp

What's the bottom line like? After all that investment and time, how is your ROI?
I'm just purely curious from a business point of view.

I don't see CODForums growing like the three you posted above... I don't see page views. But those views would only come with fresh new content which I don't see being added. That is my confusion....Really...

I don't see CODForums growing like the three you posted above... I don't see page views. But those views would only come with fresh new content which I don't see being added. That is my confusion....Really...
Refer to the new screencap posted. :D

Keep the negativity rollin' Stewart!
What's the bottom line like? After all that investment and time, how is your ROI?
I'm just purely curious from a business point of view.
I just got my first $100 from google last month, and since the new check I've gathered $8 more. And another $8 from viglink. I'm on track to making more because of MW4Blog's projected conversion numbers. By the end of next year, it's possible, these numbers will be overshadowed by 20 to 30%.

Half of MW3Blog's visitors already know CODForums. :) I have two ad spots on that site - one on the mainpage which is a horizontal banner, and the second one sits on the right column. So, either way, not only am I making more money, I'm getting new visitors, and return visitors all at the same time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Collateral Damage, baby!

Refer to the new screencap posted. :D

Keep the negativity rollin' Stewart!

There is no negativity. I am just asking about the growth, which is what this is about. Yes, you had a sharp increase on release day of views, and if you look right after it, it is steadily going back down, convenient you cut the rest of the image back. Your blog pages are just that, the blogs... but those are doing nothing to give you more activity at CODForums.

In terms of growth, again which is what this is about, how did that translate over to your forum? Those page views you may consider growth, but when translating it to registrations, new posts, and activity at CODForums, I just don't see it.

There is no negativity. I am just asking about the growth, which is what this is about. Yes, you had a sharp increase on release day of views, and if you look right after it, it is steadily going back down, convenient you cut the rest of the image back. Your blog pages are just that, the blogs... but those are doing nothing to give you more activity at CODForums.

In terms of growth, again which is what this is about, how did that translate over to your forum? Those page views you may consider growth, but when translating it to registrations, new posts, and activity at CODForums, I just don't see it.
You make it sound like I'm cutting the image back to lie. Allow me to prove you wrong....
CODFull47k.webp
Here's MW3Blog's total visits/uniques....
MW3B145k.webp
Now, you questioned the "conversion" numbers of MW3Blog to CODForums....
CODFMW3B.webp
Satisfied? MW4Blog will surpass these numbers because of my early lead. And the difference between the two, is simply that I spent $480 just to get MW3Blog. Not with MW4Blog, tho. I only spent $10, because I got it earlier than everyone else who'd want to re-sell this domain for the same price I bought MW3Blog. After MW4, I will revert my attention back to CODNet. I bought CODNet in a package deal while I bought CODForums. Combined: $1580 just for CODForums, MW3Blog, CODNet, and a Black Ops blog.

I don't care about recouping my investment in the short term, I wanted to capture the COD market in some shape or form, and here I have. And I've done better than I expected of myself doing! (y)

And I didn't just spend $480 for MW3Blog.com alone, the owner transferred over 4 other like-minded Modern Warfare 3 Blog domains including modernwarfare3blog.com I had all of them redirected to MW3Blog.com so even if I had mw3blog.net as a competitor, that person could not eat the whole MW3Blog pie. The only thing the .net owner had was more followers on his Modern Warfare 3 FB page.

But I had the /MW3Blog vanity names on both Twitter/FB. I had more Twitter followers than he did.

This time, this guy can't even get 20% because I have the .net extention, and once again both Twitter/FB vanity names. :D

What's more is that CODForums continues to be viral...
CODFV2k.webp
And activity on CODForums is at a all time high...
CODFDailyStats2012.webp
That lil sharp rise to the "D" is spam.

What's more is that CODForums continues to be viral...
View attachment 37433
I don't consider the 'X people saw this post' to be a tell all metric for determining if something went viral. IMO shares are a better single metric. If you hover over one of those numbers what does it say for Organic and Viral views?

I don't consider the 'X people saw this post' to be a tell all metric for determining if something went viral. IMO shares are a better single metric. If you hover over one of those numbers what does it say for Organic and Viral views?
Okay, now I feel stupid. :(

When I hover over it, it shows organic.

Here's the thing: I know what "viral" means, and I know it's metric is supposed to be a "sharing" type of metric. I also know that Facebook is [more or less] a search engine, but I didn't think these numbers meant exactly that. For me, the higher the number of views means people are actually seeing the articles on FB. And I didn't think this came from FB's own likes platform because I only have 239 likes so far. But because Facebook is a social media platform, reading those numbers feel like it's gone viral. Some of those article(s) aren't even targeting "Call of Duty" specifically. Er. Black Ops, or Modern Warfare for the matter. :cautious:

For me, the higher the number of views means people are actually seeing the articles on FB. And I didn't think this came from FB's own likes platform because I only have 239 likes so far.
I noticed that as well, not sure how you can have ~1,500 organic views if you only have 239 likes. Not entirely sure how FB gets that number. You wouldn't by any chance be promoting those posts would you?

One thing I've noticed since FB started the post promotion thing is that the organic views have gone down (percentage wise). For example even with 4-5k more fans the organic views are lower than what they used to be a few months ago. Other page owners have noticed the same thing. Looks like FB is trying to make you pay to have your post viewed by your fans. :mad:

I noticed that as well, not sure how you can have ~1,500 organic views if you only have 239 likes. Not entirely sure how FB gets that number. You wouldn't by any chance be promoting those posts would you?
Earlier this year, I paid for likes promotion (it's where I got the extra 150 likes. Originally, when I bought CODForums that FB page only had like 50/80). But at the time of the Black Ops 2 launch, I didn't have any money, so all those views wasn't my doing. o_O

However, I'm using FB Likes box on forum threads....
CODForoFB.webp
Although, I don't think that like box has anything to do with the high views - I've been doing the same thing for MVC3Forum, EverythingHalo, and my other COD blogs.
One thing I've noticed since FB started the post promotion thing is that the organic views have gone down (percentage wise). For example even with 4-5k more fans the organic views are lower than what they used to be a few months ago. Other page owners have noticed the same thing. Looks like FB is trying to make you pay to have your post viewed by your fans. :mad:
Well, google does the same thing. It's not exactly new.

Top Bottom