Lack of interest Grouping similar latest updates

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

sinucello

Hi,
I try to keep track of the latest updates and new releases in the RM by looking at the RM page on a daily basis. Sometimes an extension author updates a lot of add-ons at once. Example: today @napy8gen updated 13 of his themes and the latest updates page was full of this entries. All updates contained exactly the same information: "updated to xenforo 1.4.2".

My suggestion would be to group such similar updates so that there`s only one entry is created in the latest updated view.

thank you - all the best,
Sacha

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That's not technically possible as each entry is a separate resource.

How would it work?

What would clicking the single entry do?
Which resource would it link to?

How would it work?
I think sometimes it`s good to look at things from a non-technical view. Instead of asking myself how this can be done technically, I asked myself what could be improved for the viewer/user.

Clicking on such a single grouped entry could expand the grouped entries. Maybe the grouping could be done with Ajax/jquery.

How exactly would the grouping work? Per author? Per update content? Some other way?

What would be displayed as the group entry? How would a user know what exactly is being updated from just one group entry?

Personally I think it's fine as it is. As I user I glance down the list of updates and look in more detail into the ones I am interested in.

What would be displayed as the group entry? How would a user know what exactly is being updated from just one group entry?
The entry could be labeled: "{Author} made similar updates to 16 of his resources ({category/title of first resource}...). Click here to view details/display all entries ". The user wouldn`t know what exactly has been updated but as this features is rather relevant for power users, this isn`t important. If I see such a grouped entry from author x and category y, I can decide if I`d like to expand or not. And this is what´s important: I can decide if I want the details or not and save time.

How would the similar updates be identified? Would the text have to be exactly the same in all entries? What if there was additional information in some entries but not in others? Would the author have to update the entries all together? What period of time would entries be grouped over? 1 hour? 12 hours? 24 hours?

I really think for the effort required to code this to work in this way, it's just not worth it. This sort of situation is very infrequent and is usually to do with authors updating multiple styles. I don't think this suggestion is appropriate for the vast majority of authors and their add-ons which aren't updated all in one go and when there are a few updates in a short period they are all very different.

How would the similar updates be identified?
Maybe this could be done by the author himself. I agree that this appropriate only for the examples I mentioned - one author, very similar updates to lots of resources, short time period. This happens frequently with the styles. But please also keep in mind that the RM is sold as a product and this situation could happen even more often in another context/forum.

Top Bottom