Greek language - accented letters

Dakis

I installed enhanced search and very quickly my moderators have noticed that it is treating letters with accents (for example "ά") differently than without ("α").

The problem is that in greek language, many people just type the words without accents, so now you get completely different results in my forum when you search for "Μελβούρνη" and "Μελβουρνη" (Melbourne in greek), which you really shouldn't. You should be getting the same results whether you type the word with an accent or not.

I saw there are two options in the panel, word stemming and accent removal.

Which of these options will correct this issue for me? Am I right to assume it's the latter? And if so, what are the steps to enable this and then re-run the indexing? Do I just enable the option and click the "reconfigure" button?

I got a response from support, so I am just writing the answer here for anyone else that may be interested in the future.

The solution is to enable accent removal, and then just run the tool for the Search rebuild.

Turns out this is not working for me, I tried accent removal, and I also tried word stemming for greek, and rebuilt the search index.

Unfortunately my search still brings different results for accented and non accented words.

So as it stands I cannot use the enhanced search, is there anyone that can advise if there is something else that needs to happen, or if someone is using this function with success?

So as it stands I cannot use the enhanced search, is there anyone that can advise if there is something else that needs to happen, or if someone is using this function with success?
Just saw this and thought I would say what I know.

I forget the implementation details and I am not currently using it, but I think the ICU Analysis plugin will do the job for you. I was using it for a while and I believe it required a change to the Elasticsearch configuration so that it is used. I forget the details, but can dig it up if you want. (I meant to suggest to XF that they make this an official XFES option, but never did.)

Also, I see that XFES currently has "Enable accent removal and character simplification" as an option. You might try that first.

Hope that helps.

Yes please, if you have any details can you post them ?

I tried all existing options with the xenforo enhanced search and none worked, as described above.

Top Bottom