Great Upgrade Experience, Thanks XF!

CivilWarTalk

Normally I wouldn't leave feedback for something so simple as an upgrade, but today I had a number of issues with my internet connection.

My internet connection kept dropping out and coming back, but unfortunately I was fairly committed to upgrading with half the files already uploaded via FTP. I did manage to complete the FTP transfer after 3 tries, and then I began the guided upgrade, and as templates were being rebuilt, again my internet dropped out. I nearly tore my hair out as I waited for the internet connection to come back.

When the internet did come back, and I hit refresh, I was delighted to see an "Upgrade Complete" message, and my file health check was error free. Everything seems to be working just fine now. Thanks XenForo for making such a rock-solid product.

Now, if only my internet service provider was so reliable!

Normally I wouldn't leave feedback for something so simple as an upgrade, but today I had a number of issues with my internet connection.

My internet connection kept dropping out and coming back, but unfortunately I was fairly committed to upgrading with half the files already uploaded via FTP. I did manage to complete the FTP transfer after 3 tries, and then I began the guided upgrade, and as templates were being rebuilt, again my internet dropped out. I nearly tore my hair out as I waited for the internet connection to come back.

When the internet did come back, and I hit refresh, I was delighted to see an "Upgrade Complete" message, and my file health check was error free. Everything seems to be working just fine now. Thanks XenForo for making such a rock-solid product.

Now, if only my internet service provider was so reliable!
That is so true, giving credit with credit is due, the resume capabilities and reliability of the upgrade is incredible. This is one of the few software options where I don't feel compelled to do a full backup before attempting to upgrade.

I wish it would be faster, though, because I know it *can* be, my CPU usage was so low it didn't make sense for the process to take that long. I guess it's either one or the other. Each AJAX call and refresh has a delay cost in the overall processing.

I made a test upgrade of my forum and it was quick and painless. Right now I'm working on upgrading my live forum. ;)

Very nice to hear, I will plan to upgrade when I have the time. Thanks for sharing your experience with us...

I love the fact that when you upgrade, the templates don't get overwritten. Shows that XF is not intrusive in any way when it comes to upgrades. :)

I'm sure many people feel the same way as you do. (y)

I wish it would be faster, though, because I know it *can* be, my CPU usage was so low it didn't make sense for the process to take that long. I guess it's either one or the other. Each AJAX call and refresh has a delay cost in the overall processing.
I know you found the way to adjust this anyway, but please keep in mind that we need to design for hosts like GoDaddy and very slow shared hosts that kill the script after 15 seconds, have horrendous I/O setups, and don't give you much CPU anyway. So we basically have to setup for the lowest common denominator and then build stuff in to allow changes for more extensive setups. It's a bit of a challenge. :)

Top Bottom