good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 88.3%

• Total voters

yux

okay a xenforo license costs $140 and gives you 12 months of upgrades

however as everyone here knows xenforo still lacks some useful features that are available on other forum software... and this makes people to think twice before they click the buy button

a good way for xenforo to sell more licenses is extending their license duration from 12 to 18 months. this will make people buy xenforo right now instead of waiting until the features that they are waiting for are implemented. why? because they know that the software comes with 18 months of upgrades so having that is something like a "guarantee". people will think: 'okay i have to wait until this feature gets developed, however my license lasts 18 months and in 18 months i believe that this could be done'... in 12 months? maybe not.

this is win-win deal. xenforo will sell more licenses faster and people will get a very good forum software.

discuss...

/fail
Here's a win win deal.
Support XenForo by buying a license now.

Is this really any different than asking for a sale price?

Disagree completely. XenForo has enough features to fully compete with other softwares and it's more sophisticated. The price and the support periot is fair. Your definition "lack of useful features" sounds rather lacking by it's own.. What features do you miss? Without telling that you'll get not much love for this idea.

If it doesn't do what you want now, what purpose would buying it now serve you?

I suspect the XF developers would be more interested in people buying XF for what it does now, vs. buying it now for something it might do in the future. Forum software sold on the pretense of what it might do in the future always fails... you end up with pissed off customers because they didn't get whatever they were wanting fast enough (and in the case of vB, vB4 largely turned out to be vaporware).

Bottom line, if it's not what you can use now, there's no point in buying it now.

I have been with XenForo since the beginning, yes some features are missing and not having the time to build the add-ons I was forced to seek other methods. But I still use XenForo and find that a 12 month license is beyond reasonable. Look at IPB, they have a 12 month license but when you renew it is for 6 more months of support.

okay a xenforo license costs $140 and gives you 12 months of upgrades

however as everyone here knows xenforo still lacks some useful features that are available on other forum software... and this makes people to think twice before they click the buy button

a good way for xenforo to sell more licenses is extending their license duration from 12 to 18 months. this will make people buy xenforo right now instead of waiting until the features that they are waiting for are implemented. why? because they know that the software comes with 18 months of upgrades so having that is something like a "guarantee". people will think: 'okay i have to wait until this feature gets developed, however my license lasts 18 months and in 18 months i believe that this could be done'... in 12 months? maybe not.

this is win-win deal. xenforo will sell more licenses faster and people will get a very good forum software.

discuss...

I am sure if you email the admins, proposing that you will buy 10,000 or 20,000 licenses if they can give you a 18 month expiration time, they will surely work out something with you.

If not, and provided you are not quoting any serious study that backs up what you are saying, I will call that complete BS, there is absolutely no guarantee that people will buy more licenses if they are given a more extensive expiration time period.

EXtending the licence period to 18 months would be disasrtous - because the amount of money to pay would have to go up.

THis would be a year $140 + 6 months $70

The new cost would be $210.

People who live in poorer economies, or who don't have a good income in a richer economy, already have a struggle to get $140 together. They do it because they know it's worth it.

But $210 would push XF out of reach.

Actually I disagree with the revered DigitalPoint. XF is different.
Many of us HAVE bought XF licences in faith; that is trusting that features will come available. A few features are still not with us after 15 months so some of those buys have been loyalty support. Not much grumbling about it either.
I should think looking at the XF brief and glorious history a new buyer might feel more confident now. So many features are now with us, and others are clearly being developed. The XF addon community is rich and powerful in its creativity, clearly some of the best around. . That is almost as important as the core - I remember doing a comparison on forums in 2006 and deciding on VB because the range of addons was so stunning.
So anyway a new buyer now could feel fairly confident of features becoming available within a year.
I certainly think within a year XF will have no major feature left bare.

Well, an "18 month" license would be $160, not $210 (license renewals are $40/year, not full price).
Actually I disagree with the revered DigitalPoint. XF is different.
No doubt... in fact I thought about that when I was writing it. I just simplified it is all... if you want to get technical, I didn't heed my own advice. I purchased a XenForo license even though it doesn't do everything I want... but it's more because I'm building the functionality I need (much of which is very vertical market stuff that would never make it into any forum software). To me, XenForo is a platform/framework... not (necessarily) forum software.

That being said, my original point is still valid... if the software doesn't do what you want (and you can't work around it) and you aren't building functionality for it (you are just waiting), it's probably best to just wait until it does what you need it to do. I sure as hell wouldn't buy a copy of *any* software knowing I couldn't use it because it didn't do what I need.

I agree to a point degree but have a little bit of a different view...

I bought xenforo for reasons that were not 100% clear to me at the time... there was a lot of possibilities but it just felt right. At the time that I first bought it, my web skill set was...well...non existent. I am not saying I am a professional in anything other than being the captain of my own failboat but using xenforo and trying to make addons and various other changes to the software has given me something I never had before.

Everything about xf from the way it is built to the staff and community support here is unparallelled and even if I never run a forum or officially use my license for a project, I have gotten way more than I paid for here...and that math holds true now from only one month after purchasing. Which reminds me...I feel like I still owe so I told myself about 6 months ago after I had a few breakthroughs in understanding code that I will buy at least one new license a year as long as I am active here...It's a new year...and will soon be getting another license.

I am too old and have made decisions in my life that will prevent me from going back to school...this software has basically been my impromptu web professor with all of the helpful members here being either a student teacher or a teacher's aid. If you run a forum that could be as helpful as xenforo let me know...I will be there whether it is free or fee'd.

Again...DigitalPoint is right....absolutely...but you have to apply the logic openly...

My case - Needed working software to look at so I could try and break things down and teach myself a few things...something that I needed so I would say this software definitely has done what I wanted it to and more.

His case - Wanted to try something new but lacks specific features, his abilities allow him to extend his coding ability to the core functions to realize what he needs and if I remember correctly that included like a million lines (holy wow)

People who bought to show support - maybe could have used a license at the time, maybe they couldn't... but their need was to show support ...and they got what they intended to get...not to mention a head start on the internals of the software which will allow them when they have the need to use their licenses to move a lot faster due to the familiarization with all of the various interfaces.

It all boils down to the definitions of needs and wants.

@the op... things like pricing and license terms are things that are set in stone by the owners...and it only makes sense to send them a private msg to those effects....I just wouldn't be surprised if your message gets ignored.

All respect intended to you...it would be no different than going into a store and demanding a different return policy or asking for a lower price...now this may work at some stores...but those stores have THOUSANDS of products that they sell...xenforo has one product and two official coders that manufacture and maintain it and in order for this software to stay in production they need to have a balance between profits and (all of their) happy customers...at the price it is at, it's quite apparent that they cut the price to as low as it can go.

I know many people have suggestions that are based on their own personal logic including me...but pricing and license terms are things that the company has put in a lot of time thinking about to come to a business decision and it is most respectful to not question that as they do have a business manager and unless some info comes to light that could be considered revelation I would say the best use for your energy spent on suggestions would be to make suggestions to the functionality of the software itself.

I guess what I am trying to say is suggestions are best suited for the software itself and not the box it sits in.

The current price is very reasonable considering the software package and support in my opinion.

EXtending the licence period to 18 months would be disasrtous - because the amount of money to pay would have to go up.

THis would be a year $140 + 6 months $70

That doesn't make any sense. They would not actually be extending the license at all if the price went up with it. You'd just be paying more than you are now, but for a license that last longer. The price would still work out the same either way. :confused:

Extending the license from 12 to 18 months, means you still pay $140 for 18months, rather than 12 months.

97% voted no... ;)

Well, I voted YES. Reason why, if I can get 18 months rather than 12 for my money spent. Hey, I'm all for that one. Why not when it benefits me.

the price is very much fair , I wish for xenforo to remain like this and not become greedy once it become the best forum system on the net

They have lawyer fees and I don't want them to be able to pay them.

I think you should all get paid less at work (those who keep wanting discounts) so I can get stuff cheaper.....

Top Bottom