Grandyo.com forums - layout opinions please.

Your site is not responsive and does not work at narrow widths.

I wanted to make the same message ^^ You are too fast for me

Hi @Brogan,
Hmm. I guess it's the iframe again.

It has nothing to see with the iframe since the rest of your website isn't responsive aswell :

9f08d611fe.jpg
b8fc2c4195.jpg

If you can't fire them, at least give them this link http://www.codecademy.com/ and tell them to pay attention to the responsive chapter and it should be good.

I wanted to make the same message ^^ You are too fast for me

It has nothing to see with the iframe since the rest of your website isn't responsive aswell :

9f08d611fe.jpg
b8fc2c4195.jpg

If you can't fire them, at least give them this link http://www.codecademy.com/ and tell them to pay attention to the responsive chapter and it should be good.
Thanks for the comment, but I know what my website looks like on mobile ;)

Let's stop all this chat about firing people, please.
Anyone have any more comments about the layout of the part I do have control over - categories, forums, threads, resources, FAQ etc?
Cheers.

There seems little point in providing feedback on the rest of the site if you are unwilling (or unable) to address the fundamental issue with it.

Good luck with it regardless, you're going to need it.

There seems little point in providing feedback on the rest of the site if you are unwilling (or unable) to address the fundamental issue with it.

Good luck with it regardless, you're going to need it.
Come on now, what makes you think I'm unwilling? Is there feedback to provide? I'm all ears.

Doesn't everyone just want an easy life? Please don't misunderstand me, I'd love it if things were working correctly or if I had more control over what happens, but I don't and have to make do with what I do have.
For a while I was worried that there was some kind of fundamental technical error such as badly set-up (by me) user permissions that kept people from being able to post on the forum, but after having created a dummy account with regular permissions, I'm fairly sure that is not the case. Still I could be wrong and I have turned to the superior wisdom of the XF crowd to help me iron out any problems.
The constructive criticism so far has been most welcome, keep it coming ;)

Yes, sadly it seems there is a problem, but if someone really wanted to post on the forum they could. Theoretically, right?
Windows and Macintosh OSes represent over 80% of sessions according to Google Analytics, and the forums display well enough on desktop to be able to post - no, not perfectly, but adequately until a better solution is found.

I want it to work, I want a thriving community with messages flying back and forth and the occasional ruffled feathers because of online, written misunderstandings that are too often common on bulletin boards; then I'd be able to do my job, get my hands dirty and help resolve the problems and hopefully bring some smiles to peoples' faces both real and virtual.

@nightlife there is no point providing you feedback since you are still not getting it. Do you really think visitors to your site care more about whether they have the right permissions to post in the correct place than the actual usability of the site? WRONG! Try using the mobile site for a whole day, and see if look forward to going back to the site on a mobile ever again. Like stated, there is a fundamental issue with the website. Does the owner of the site even know about these issues? Are they so oblivious to the issues as you are?

80% of sessions are desktops? lol....maybe because the only ones visiting the site are your devs and yourself. I cant imagine anyone on a mobile ever returning to something that looks like that. You might want to research on what proportion of visitors are usually on smartphone these days. Its fair to say you will be surprised...hint its nowhere near the 20% you are claiming off your own example (which is a bad example of all things when responsive doesnt even work).

Unfortunately you are far too concerned about your potential 'community manager' role than actually doing anything or alerting people what actually needs to be done. If i owned that site and i had a person incharge administer it, and they were told that the site was not designed and setup correctly as is the case, and then did **** all to fix the issue, i would not be happy.

Not going to waste my time telling you what you need to do, as its obvious you have no power to do it. Already stated what needs to happen. Im sure if you guys continue to build on the rubbish that has been laid on the base of that site, then you wont be needing any community managers at all, let alone have any visitors.

NO offence, but the site is one of the most horrific examples of what 'developers' have done to a xenforo forum on here.

Good luck, you will definitely need it. And then some.

http://www.grandyo.com/splash ----> Responsive, looks good.
http://www.grandyo.com/ -------> Non-Responsive, terrible.
http://www.grandyo.com/forum -------> Non-Responsive, terrible.

All noted above though, and ignored.

Not sure I see anything unique or interesting in your forum, enough for me to stay around. A couple bits of the look have changed, node icons should be your logo at least, possibly change opacity if read/unread.

I do a ton of browsing during the day on mobile, so if the responsiveness wasn't fixed, I'd never sign up. That is the biggest issue at this point. The suggestions above are valid. You need to delete whatever "theme" you have created, or re-add the default theme and see exactly what is causing your issues. There isn't any reason why I should feel like I am in 2002 browsing a site.

http://www.grandyo.com/splash ----> Responsive, looks good.
http://www.grandyo.com/ -------> Non-Responsive, terrible.
http://www.grandyo.com/forum -------> Non-Responsive, terrible.

All noted above though, and ignored.

Not sure I see anything unique or interesting in your forum, enough for me to stay around. A couple bits of the look have changed, node icons should be your logo at least, possibly change opacity if read/unread.

I do a ton of browsing during the day on mobile, so if the responsiveness wasn't fixed, I'd never sign up. That is the biggest issue at this point. The suggestions above are valid. You need to delete whatever "theme" you have created, or re-add the default theme and see exactly what is causing your issues. There isn't any reason why I should feel like I am in 2002 browsing a site.
Hi Sheldon,
Thanks for the input.
I have not ignored the feedback. Please reread my earlier messages in this thread.
I'll repeat though, I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to make any changes to address the responsiveness/ iframe issues that seem to be marring the usability of the site. My concerns have been passed on to those who make the decisions and, until further notice from them, there is nothing I can do.

There was talk of changing the node icons (I assume you mean the call outs, right?), the company logo would be a perfect substitute - I'll pass the suggestion on, thanks.

AFAIK, the style chooser is visible. Using it will reset the appearance to the default - I'm not using a theme of any kind and have only altered the colours and use a couple of addons - Resource Manager, FAQ Manager, Online Ribbon and Soundcloud (which all seem to be working fine).

I guess the biggest thing here is the mobile style. I mean I love the colors and the layout for me that is what matters. However, If you wish to expand the amount of users that you have getting it to flow on mobile is a big point. It wouldn't hurt to make it more responsive there.

Other then the above I have no complaints. I think that if they are having you run things and work on them you should be able to make the changes your self. It's that kind of management that can have a site fail. Again my own opinion. I understand how you are feeling with not being able to do much. As a web designer myself I hate it when I am restricted so much that i can't do anything. I understand having rules and making sure that big changes are ok. But still it's annoying none the less.

Good luck to you!

I guess the biggest thing here is the mobile style. I mean I love the colors and the layout for me that is what matters. However, If you wish to expand the amount of users that you have getting it to flow on mobile is a big point. It wouldn't hurt to make it more responsive there.

Other then the above I have no complaints. I think that if they are having you run things and work on them you should be able to make the changes your self. It's that kind of management that can have a site fail. Again my own opinion. I understand how you are feeling with not being able to do much. As a web designer myself I hate it when I am restricted so much that i can't do anything. I understand having rules and making sure that big changes are ok. But still it's annoying none the less.

Good luck to you!
Hi @keith.arvixe ,
Thanks so much for your reasoned comments. You're right, not supporting mobile is not an option these days and an unfettered XF site looks lovely (good job devs!)
Thank you also for your understanding and good wishes :)

Let's see what happens! I'll be keeping everyone posted!

Sorry to dig this one up, but I did promise an update.

I was fired from the job at the beginning of December last year, this thread was cited as part of the reason, although a detailed explanation was not provided.

It seems that the XF installation has been set free of the iframe, so there's that.

Top Bottom