Google Wants to Kill the JPEG: Meet WebP

RvG

Google is introducing a new format for images: WebP.

Images on the web in this format — which CNET reports will be officially announced later today — will have smaller file sizes, load faster and relieve a lot of overclocked networks. They won’t necessarily look better — WebP images are as “glossy” as JPEGs — but the files might be around 40% smaller than JPEG files.

And since Google () estimates 65% of the bytes on the web are images, that represents a quarter of the total amount of data we access and transmit online. Who wouldn’t change formats for a web that could be 26% faster?

The sticking point is JPEG’s popularity. This format dominates the web and related devices, from Flickr () to Twitpic () to our mobile phones and cameras. But if any company could challenge and change a norm, it’s Google.

Google released its WebM video format at Google I/O, the company’s developer conference. This format was to be supported in HTML5’s <video> tag. In the world of video, Google has one huge advantage: YouTube (). The company decided that all video uploaded in 720p or higher would be be encoded in WebM in addition to H.264.

However, Google doesn’t have the same advantage when it comes to images. The company owns Picasa (), a second-tier photo-sharing site; the dominant Flickr is owned by rival Yahoo ().
Where Google does have some weight, however, is in the browser arena. By focusing on the browser as the most important platform of our time, Google has seen Chrome () quickly become a contender in the browser wars. Even though Chrome is still edging toward a 10% share of the global browser market, it’s gaining users as Firefox falters, Internet Explorer takes a dive and Safari stagnates.

Google has taken a leading role in developing a faster, better, more standards-compliant web browser for some time now, and it’s talking to other browser makers about WebP support, which would mean a faster browsing experience for everyone. Expect to see WebP-formatted images on Chrome within a few weeks.

Also, just like WebM, WebP is an open-source format.
We know Google has a long row to hoe before it reaps WebP’s rewards, but this dramatic reduction in file size and the potential for faster browsing seems like something all browser makers and device manufacturers would want to deliver to users.

What do you think? Is it likely that WebP will ever become the standard that JPEG is today?

I think it's a little unnerving how people just accept that Google should rule the virtual earth.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's like how people just accept the abuse of their personal information by Facebook et al... every year people get dumber and dumber.

Google by and large has enjoyed a "benevolent" status, but I can see that changing, hopefully people will at least look and question what such a monster is doing.

Control the information, and you control the world... that is a bucket load of power in the hands of (presumably) 12 board members of a corporation with zero accountability.

I think they would have a hard time getting past .png let alone .jpg. Sounds to me like Google just want to lessen their own server costs a little and / or just attempt to once again stick their corporate brand upon something upon the web... often ending up in more a failure than success.

Yeah I know what you mean, it's like how people just accept the abuse of their personal information by Facebook et al... every year people get dumber and dumber.

I think a lot of it is people can't really keep up with the new tech, plus the sheep mentality of course.

I think it's a little unnerving how people just accept that Google should rule the virtual earth.

yeah just because they hang at facebook all day and have a million and one virtual pretend friends. (Should we get the tar and feathers out now or wait till the crowd is really angered).

I for one will continue to use jpg in a last flung attempt to halt the juggernaut .... well may they shake in their boots!

I so totally agree. That's why I don't use Facebook

I knew there was a reason I like you so much :D Gal of my own heart... it truly worries me the amount of (especially) women I know who just assume that Facebook is some big safe warm and fuzzy fest put on for their entertainment, out of the sheer goodness of Facebook's heart... ugggh!

Wake up and smell the personal info harvesting people! You are not Facebooks customer, you are their product.. they sell "you" to their advertisers.

meh.. who am I kidding, most of these chicks think the movie Titanic was a documentary.

I think a lot of it is people can't really keep up with the new tech, plus the sheep mentality of course.

lol very true! coming from a country with an oversupply of sheep.. I feel no need to join them.

I knew there was a reason I like you so much :D Gal of my own heart... it truly worries me the amount of (especially) women I know who just assume that Facebook is some big safe warm and fuzzy fest put on for their entertainment, out of the sheer goodness of Facebook's heart... ugggh!

Wake up and smell the personal info harvesting people! You are not Facebooks customer, you are their product.. they sell "you" to their advertisers.

meh.. who am I kidding, most of these chicks think the movie Titanic was a documentary.

lol very true! coming from a country with an oversupply of sheep.. I feel no need to join them.

Post reported for racist comment about Kiwis ... how very dare you! :p

Nothing wrong with jpeg, nothing wrong with png.
And perhaps nothing will be wrong with webp or whatever.

Use what works for you :)

t... it truly worries me the amount of (especially) women I know who just assume that Facebook is some big safe warm and fuzzy fest put on for their entertainment, out of the sheer goodness of Facebook's heart... ugggh!

I've taken a lot of crap for not getting a Facebook account. It's like that scene in Next Generation where they want everyone to "play the game." Yeah, I'll find my friends without Facebook's help, thanks. The way they did it in the dark ages - emails and such. : D

If this format would be free and open source where do you see the attempt to rule? They invent and give this invention to the world. I think, we should say "thanks" at least.

What happens when Google decides to start charging for it, and nobody's using a browser that will display jpegs anymore because they've all vanished?

What happens when Google decides to start charging for it, and nobody's using a browser that will display jpegs anymore because they've all vanished?
You can say that about anything that's licensed and you're using for free right now - and can at any point be revoked, or charged for.

Top Bottom