Google Wants to Kill the JPEG: Meet WebP

I actually didn't mean it as snarky, just was reading comments on another site regarding this same thing, and people are spouting soooooo many things that are either implausible or taking things the wrong way, so I was already a little peeved at that :p. I am sorry if I came off the wrong way however.

I have it on very good authority, i.e the internet, that Execs from google were spotted on a certain grassy knoll back in 1963.

Wait... so the problem with JPEG is that the file sizes are too large? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In this day and age, when people have faster internet and I'm busy using PNG-24... JPEG file sizes are too small!

Looks like Google gets more search hits than jesus.
google-trends-large.gif

If Kier and Mike created a new image file format you'd all be wetting yourselves waiting to get your hands on it, and praising them as saviors of the web.

How does WebP make Google any bigger or more powerful than they are now? Image file formats die because they're inefficient. You sound like a bunch of filthy Luddites running through town with torches and iron bars busting up looms. Who cares?

On the privacy branch that sprung out of this; Google and Facebook have your data to mine because you gave it to them.

Top Bottom