Google tried to buy Twitter for $4 billion

arabic

twoogle_x291.jpg

Google has never proven adverse to laying down a few suitcases full of benjamins in exchange for hot new [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]web[/COLOR][/COLOR] properties to absorb. It paid $1 billion for YouTube back in 2006, after all, so it probably wouldn’t surprise you that the Big G also had its eye on acquiring micro-blogging platform Twitter earlier this year.
What might surprise you, though, is how much [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Google[/COLOR][/COLOR] was willing to spend to own Twitter. According to Yahoo Financial News, earlier this year Google made an offer to take Twitter off its owners hands for a cool $2.5 billion.
Wow, right. But Twitter turned them down. In fact, Twitter apparently felt downright insulted by the offer, which prompted Google to make a second offer just three months ago… this time for four billion dollars.
You’re probably a bit shocked by that figure, but it actually makes a lot of sense: Twitter does something Google is incapable of doing, which is basically compile search indexes in real-time of the trends and subjects people are talking about. Since Twitter’s popularity no longer seems likely to fizzle out as a flash in the pan, that’s a lot of potential content that Google can slap [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]AdWords[/COLOR][/COLOR] onto in real-time.
Surprisingly, Twitter resisted this buy-out too, which implies they have some pretty grand plans of their own. I only wonder if Google will make another offer, and if this time, it’ll be an offer Twitter can’t refuse.
Read more at Yahoo

I woulda sold it. I bet twitter staff will feel stupid, when the fad runs out and they didn't capitalize on it.

I can't think of ANY one application, which has lasted a long time. I mean even things like myspace, hi5 etc.. all met their end. And I don't mean they died, but in terms of popularity and activity.

BTW does anyone know how twitter makes any $$? I don't see ads anywhere.

I woulda sold it. I bet twitter staff will feel stupid, when the fad runs out and they didn't capitalize on it.

I can't think of ANY one application, which has lasted a long time. I mean even things like myspace, hi5 etc.. all met their end. And I don't mean they died, but in terms of popularity and activity.

BTW does anyone know how twitter makes any $$? I don't see ads anywhere.
They don't have ads. But they do offer other businesses promotional products to advertise their businesses.

But if I was twitter, I would take that 4 billion. 4 billion is a lot of money, more than freakin' youtube, and even that site is growing bigger every day. And if I was the owner of youtube, I'd refuse 1 billion, instead, wait for a bigger number. Because back then, THEY were having some revenue streams.

Then, if the price isn't right for Twitter, is it because of the proposal itself?

They don't have ads. But they do offer other businesses promotional products to advertise their businesses.

But if I was twitter, I would take that 4 billion. 4 billion is a lot of money, more than freakin' youtube, and even that site is growing bigger every day. And if I was the owner of youtube, I'd refuse 1 billion, instead, wait for a bigger number. Because back then, THEY were having some revenue streams.

Then, if the price isn't right for Twitter, is it because of the proposal itself?

Maybe they pissed off twitter with a low ball offer haha.. and now they don't want google buying at all.

For a money losing venture that is based around an older userbase this is a dumb decision that they will regret down the road.

Maybe just due to the principal of the matter... they don't want to contribute towards Google's web monopoly.

Twitter seem to be doing just fine by themselves... Money isn't everything.

It is for me :)

Then I can finally do something realistic for charity and my friends, and finally have some money to live more comfortably. 4 billion is too much, I'd have to start giving away 50%, for starters.

Top Bottom