"Google May 2020 Core Update" affecting your xF Forum?

My little lazy loading addon adds lazy loading also for avatars:
..but as you said, too bad that the tag this add-on adds has no Safari support. And that is your main audience ;)

Ya, we're 62% Safari.

• CLS was a big issue. So we set up specific fixed-sized divs that ads would get inserted into. So there would be no shift. Sometimes that results in ads with large gaps around them. I had to work with adthrive on this.
  • I reduced our font files around that time: link
  • I lazy loaded our avatars, which was tricky -- since the current addons don't do it. I ended up doing it through cloudflare workers.
  • We use cloudflare to cache our guest pages, and do a custom purging system so things don't get outdated.
Thx!

We use AdThrive as well, and I've been struggling with some of the ad placements for the same very reason.

First, it's a crappy visitor experience when you start reading a thread (or article) then an ad pops in, and shifts the page around. I don't mind it so much when it happens in the right sidebar (ads) because it doesn't affect the reading experience.

I had them initially put in a similar max div on one top banner placement, but after a while I asked them to remove the ad entirely because it pushed nearly all the initial content below the fold.

But, if any movement like that affects CLS, I don't for the life of me understand why AdThrive isn't taking a more proactive role in figuring out how to optimize their ad-stack display, so it doesn't negatively affect their publishing partners.

If many of their partners lose ranking because of poor webvitals, and they lose traffic as a result, that means the entire ad eco-system generates less revenue.

What SEOs get wrong about Google updates
by Barry Schwartz, SearchEngineLand
July 28, 2020

Your ranking decline is likely not due to an update and good luck trying to figure out the ranking factors impacting your site.

In covering Google algorithm updates for almost twenty-years now, one trend you notice over and over again is how SEOs tend to do two things. Many SEOs blame a Google algorithm update for their ranking declines and many SEOs often try to figure out which ranking factors they need to work on for a specific site. The thing is, often this is the wrong way to go about Google algorithm updates.

In my keynote during our virtual SMX Next last month, I covered the past 20 years of Google algorithm updates and what SEOs need to focus on in the future. I later hosted a panel with a few veteran SEOs to discuss Google algorithms, I asked these experts, what do SEOs often get wrong about these Google updates.

It wasn’t the update
Your ranking decline (or increase) was probably not due to that recent Google algorithm update. Yes, it is possible, but you first need “to have a [web site code] change log, you have to know what changes you made and when and be able to very definitely correlate” any changes you made that may have impacted your rankings. If you made zero changes and you lost 40% of your traffic on the same day as an algorithm update, “yeah that’s probably the update,” Carolyn Shelby, manager of SEO at ESPN said. But if you “made 80 changes the week before the update, we lost the traffic two days before the update, probably not the update,” she added.

One example Shelby gave at ESPN was around the time Google announced the launch of RankBrain. Truth is, when Google announced it, it actually went live months and months prior to its official announcement. In any event, the people at ESPN felt a ranking issue the company was experiencing was directly related to RankBrain. But Shelby said, “You need to calm down, I’m sure, this has nothing to do with this, we broke something else.” And when they fixed the issue they had with an AMP implementation, traffic returned. It was not related to any algorithm update Google released, but rather a change made to the site.

I brought up the nofollow attribute change where Google would treat the nofollow link attribute differently. The truth is, Google never fully launched the change — not yet at least and when it does, it won’t impact rankings. But SEOs were citing this as a reason for ranking changes, when it was not.

Correlating ranking factors
Another thing SEOs have been trying to do for ages is trying to figure out which ranking signals or factors are most important for a specific update. Back in the old days, yes, we know Penguin was about links, Panda was about content. In the earlier days, SEOs would be able to track Google Dances and PageRank values directly towards rankings the next day. But now, we really cannot do that.

Eric Wu, VP of product growth at Honey Science said, “SEOs are spending too much time trying to figure out like what correlation matches the algorithm update.” The more “you understand machine learning” the more you know that you cannot figure this out. “Weighted values of these things the behavior doesn’t happen on all the sites similarly or the same way right,” Eric said.

Read more..

What SEOs get wrong about Google updates
by Barry Schwartz, SearchEngineLand
July 28, 2020

Your ranking decline is likely not due to an update and good luck trying to figure out the ranking factors impacting your site.

Read more..

Geez you know he must be right and everyone who saw their page views and earning slashed on May 4 are just part of a mass hallucination. In the meantime the author earns money by speculating.

Geez you know he must be right and everyone who saw their page views and earning slashed on May 4 are just part of a mass hallucination. In the meantime the author earns money by speculating.
Yeah... sometimes it's blindingly obvious a google update is the cause.

1594225866892-png.230069

Google Update on May 4th:
Google’s Danny Sullivan has confirmed that a core algorithm update is rolling out today – May 4, 2020.

Conspiracy theories are great fun for some people but i would not recommend basing your SEO efforts on any of them. Barry Schwartz has had a reputation as an acknowledged expert for many years, longer than many of you have even owned a website.

And to be blunt, I don't care if you don't want to follow verified advice. I offer it here so that others don't take the whining and conspiracy theories seriously. What you choose to do with that advice is your business. But hating Google because your site doesn't rank the way you believe it should isn't going to help you.

https://support.google.com/adsense/answer/9713?hl=en

Google automatically delivers ads that are targeted to your content or audience. We do this in several ways:
  • Contextual targeting
    Our technology uses such factors as keyword analysis, word frequency, font size, and the overall link structure of the web, in order to determine what a webpage is about and precisely match Google ads to each page.
  • Placement targeting
    With placement targeting, advertisers choose specific ad placements, or subsections of publisher websites, on which to run their ads. Ads that are placement-targeted may not be precisely related to the content of a page, but are hand-picked by advertisers who've determined a match between what your users are interested in and what they have to offer.
  • Personalized targeting
    Personalized advertising enables advertisers to reach users based on their interests, demographics (e.g., "sports enthusiasts") and other criteria. To opt out of personalized advertising, users can change their controls in Ads Settings.
Personalized targeting type reports may include contextual targeting when user data, such as cookie ID, isn’t available. If you’ve selected “Non-personalized ads” in your EU user consent settings, you might still see ads under the "Personalized" targeting type even though user data isn’t being used.

How your ads are personalized
Ads are based on personal info you've added to your Google Account, data from advertisers that partner with Google, and Google's estimation of your interests. Choose any factor to learn more or update your preferences. Learn how to control the ads you see.

If you click on the buttons for each category, you will see why Google includes them. Some (many) are from your own Google searches so they are personalized just for you – the same will be true for your members – not all visitors to the forum will see the same ads.

You can install a browser plugin to maintain your preference to opt out of personalized ads from Google, even if you've cleared your cookies. Learn how to save settings for the browser.

Control the ads you see
You can make the ads you see more useful or get ads that are specific to you. You'll see Google ads on:
  • Google services, like Search or YouTube.
  • Websites and apps that partner with Google to show ads.
Edit your info or interests
  1. Go to your Google AdSense Account.
  2. On the left navigation panel, click Data & personalization.
  3. On the Ad personalization panel, click Go to ad settings.
  4. Turn on Ad Personalization if it’s off.
  5. Under "How your ads are personalized," select your personal info or interests.
    • To update your info, select Update. Follow the steps on the screen.
    • To turn off an interest, select Turn off. Confirm by selecting Turn off.
    • To bring back an interest, select What you've turned off. Choose an interest and select Turn back on.
If don't want personalized ads, turn off Ad Personalization. Learn more about stopping personalized ads.

(One thing you might consider for categories marked as content related rather than personalized (search related) is to do an audit of categories that would be considered as off-topic for your forum and disable AdSense for those nodes/forums. The downside is that that could reduce your AdSense income since there will be fewer ads displayed but they might well be more relevant for your members.)

Last edited:
Conspiracy theories are great fun for some people but i would not recommend basing your SEO efforts on any of them. Barry Schwartz has had a reputation as an acknowledged expert for many years, longer than many of you have even owned a website.

I agree there are conspiracy theories abound about Google.

But I don't think acknowledging that Google Core updates can affect your individual site's search rankings is a conspiracy theory. It's quite literally what the Core updates do.

Yeah, I must be hallucinating:
S9GXATq.png

Funny how within the quote that someone is saying this is all a conspiracy theory, there is this line:
If you made zero changes and you lost 40% of your traffic on the same day as an algorithm update, “yeah that’s probably the update,”
🙃

All I know is Fb groups and Reddit are overtaking my positions when their content is vastly inferior to mine. Hell, how can fb groups even be promoted in google? That's a big jumbled mess of the same question over and over again.

@djbaxter has a point, but before addressing it, here are two blurbs from that article that are important:

If you made zero changes and you lost 40% of your traffic on the same day as an algorithm update, “yeah that’s probably the update,” Carolyn Shelby, manager of SEO at ESPN said.
and
instead of obsessing about the changes Google is making to its algorithm, focus on your web site. You can end up spending too much time chasing your tail, when you can use that time making your own web site better. Focus on what your users want, build more and better content. Build better tools and features on your site. Make your site’s navigation easier for your users, make the site load faster and make the user experience better.

The point I agree with djbaxter on is that our sites did not lose traffic because of the May 2020 Google update. Our sites lost traffic because the content that was being ranked was not likely as relevant as it should have been.

Google simply fixed an issue to provide a better experience to people searching on Google. The result of that change was a loss of traffic to our sites.

I've analyzed several of the keywords/phrases we used to rank for, and the pages/threads on our site that ranked against those keywords/phrases.

If I'm being 100% honest, if a searcher was looking for one of those keywords/phrases, and landed on the pages that Google used to show for us (the ones we used to rank for), the searcher would NOT likely have gotten the answer they were looking for.

I could provide actual examples if you like.

So, instead of worrying about what happened, I'm doing some content tests to see if I can address the core issue -- providing content that will be helpful to the searcher.

Just wrapped up the first two keyword/phrase tests, and working on 5 more.

Probably won't see results immediately, so I'll look at the stats in a month or two and see if the things we did worked or not.

If you want more specifics, or specific examples of what we did, lmk.

Curious on the changes to other forums here.
Won't really know until tomorrow, but so far our Analytics show us a little under yesterday. Since the day isn't over, I suspect we'll wind up roughly around the same traffic as yesterday. Will check tomorrow and report back.

Google Search Console data seems to take 2-3 days to catch up.

Google did a major update again today. Curious on the changes to other forums here.
As of now, viewing cloudflare's uniques, we are about the same as we have been. Maybe a couple hundred to 1k more, if comparing to the weekend but it seems we are now doing better during the week with our SERPs than on the weekend (use to be vice versa). Hoping to see a positive change with this. I've also been making various changes on the site over the last couple of weeks to help with the core vitals and just saw a "flip" on Thursday from mostly all "bad urls" for desktop to nearly all "good". For mobile it flipped from mostly all bad to mostly needing improvement and seeing our good rising along with it. Hoping these small changes help our ranking averages. Been tracking the keywords through SEMrush and it's showing that we've improved on most of our keywords. The keywords I really track, nearly all were in top 3 before this change, now I have 3-4 in top 3 and the rest in the top 10...but as I mentioned, still pretty **** compared to the May update.

By the way should note both XF1 and XF2 users experiencing same issue. It's not a specific version of XF that matters, just google in general
Won't really know until tomorrow, but so far our Analytics show us a little under yesterday. Since the day isn't over, I suspect we'll wind up roughly around the same traffic as yesterday. Will check tomorrow and report back.

Google Search Console data seems to take 2-3 days to catch up.

Won't matter now. Looks like google reverted the changes as of a hour ago.

But for him followed a similar drive but I have a form about dancing and people are not going out dancing so much so I assumed it's more of a coronavirus update haha got a Google update. Of course I'm not joking about the coronavirus but I think this probably plays a pretty big role on some forms in terms of traffic.

Top Bottom