Google Communities

JamesBrown

Will these community groups take off? Are they a serious threat to forums?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks more like Stream of Consciousness stuff like Facebook as opposed to longer term searchable content.

I think forums will always have their place as archives of info. The facebook, and likely the google stuff, seems to go away too quickly.

Have no idea how you start a community on Google. Can't even find that "community" button yet

google.plus.communities.webp

Private communities ... hmmmmm.

Do the majority of users really use google +?
nope, and no one will use these "communities" either ;)
Just wondering, did you ever even try Google+? I see more good content there than on most forums I've gone to in the last few years.

That said, the latest statistic is that they have 135 million active stream users, and 235 million active users in one way or another (Promoting to Google+ etc).

For things like politics, technology and science, and even general topics Google+ might possibly be a threat to quite a few forums I've seen.

Just wondering, did you ever even try Google+? I see more good content there than on most forums I've gone to in the last few years.

That said, the latest statistic is that they have 135 million active stream users, and 235 million active users in one way or another (Promoting to Google+ etc).

For things like politics, technology and science, and even general topics Google+ might possibly be a threat to quite a few forums I've seen.

Good to know this kind of info. I'll be honest, I'm at the mindset that google+ is like facebook so I'm probably wrong in thinking that the garbage on FB is present on google+? I admit, when I need some recommendations for apps I got a excellent link to someones google+ page where it was nicely laid out and easy to read which was another thing about facebook, content on there was erratic and displayed in a way where it was next to impossible to read because there was so much going on.

Correct.

There are actually over 500 million G+ users (number of accounts that have been upgraded). The 235 million includes those who use hang outs, +1 apps on Google Play, connect with friends in Gmail and Search, etc. It's growing fast, but there's still a lot of room for improvement in engaging more users.

Correct.

There are actually over 500 million G+ users (number of accounts that have been upgraded). The 235 million includes those who use hang outs, +1 apps on Google Play, connect with friends in Gmail and Search, etc. It's growing fast, but there's still a lot of room for improvement in engaging more users.
Yeah I was talking only people who actively use the posting feature, as thats about all people care about it seems.

I checked out a couple communities with my interests and there seemed to be almost no actual threaded conversations - just users either introducing themselves or saying what they were doing...with, at most, one response.

I think a lot of the secret of "our" forums...that is, the type which have proven successful, is the idea of some sort of clear hierarchy and management. This sets a vision and direction for the community.

Don't get me wrong- there is a place for all this stuff...redit, fb, +, twitter, etc. but I don't see it being where I would go to get information on the wiring diagram for my 1966 Corvette (which I don't own, just an example)...

Our forum, and many others, are niche market segments. I expect slow continual growth of this type of forum.

On the other hand, if someone asks me whether they should start another political discussion forum or game forum, I might tell them it's going to be a tough slog.

Not so much on purpose, more like I'll notice an alert in gmail and follow it through.
I'll say this, it has been nice to group friends and clients via their goolge account which allows google chat.
Other then that, google plus just seems like "another thing"..

Top Bottom