Google buys Boston Dynamics - Googlebot gets life?

Jeffin

Apparently some of these humanoid robots created by Boston Dynamics have strong limbs and have great balance just like humans and can outrun us. I like advancements in technology but Google with all our information and now with robotic capabilities... What would the future be like? :notworthy:

This seems to be compatible with projects like Google driverless car, recorded future & Google glass.
google-is-skynet.jpg

I wonder how the combination of Google's military robots and Google-NSA joint venture of global people profiling will pan out.

Last edited:
Extremely privacy pervasive, knowing more about people than the people themselves, building killing machines and having a large influence on governments. That together can be perceived as evil by people. I don't think that sentiment is hard to understand.

"killing machines" makes me think of the the bad guy from Robocop being released on cities killing civilians for sport.

What they are making are better described as "tools" for the military to protect the lives of soliders.

I'm not sure where the influence on goverment comes from besides any large company's influence via the existing political system. The only companies that don't infuence goverment are those who can't afford to.

Extremely privacy pervasive, knowing more about people than the people themselves, building killing machines and having a large influence on governments. That together can be perceived as evil by people. I don't think that sentiment is hard to understand.

That's a fairly big leap, but makes for great headlines.

Nearly all the technology in front of you right now (e.g., your computer, GPS, Onion routing, Internet) came from military programs paid for by the U.S. taxpayer. Google itself was initially funded via a DARPA grant. It's called public investment for private profit.

It may be a little easier to see the parallels between a robot and a war machine, but the applications for such technology are quite varied.

Disclaimer: I'm a Googler.

What they are making are better described as "tools" for the military to protect the lives of soliders.
You can describe most military equipment as such. Including guns.

I'm not sure where the influence on goverment comes from besides any large company's influence via the existing political system. The only companies that don't infuence goverment are those who can't afford to.
Pretty much any supplier of exclusive goods has influence over its customer. Being a partner generally gives a form of influence. Having the eight largest lobbying budget in the USA, Google spends more than Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Facebook combined. Such massive lobbying venture indicates significant influence on government policy.
That's not to say that Google itself is not under severe influence of the government. But it does seem to be a two way street.

Nearly all the technology in front of you right now (e.g., your computer, GPS, Onion routing, Internet) came from military programs paid for by the U.S. taxpayer. Google itself was initially funded via a DARPA grant. It's called public investment for private profit.
Sure, nothing new there. It does not change the sentiment that Google is expanding its capabilities and thereby influence across so many fields including intelligence and military that it makes people uneasy with that.

It may be a little easier to see the parallels between a robot and a war machine, but the applications for such technology are quite varied.
The application of the robots by Boston Dynamics are indeed quite varied, but their research does not exclude offense applications.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Props for the sinister background audio, but not sure what this video has to do with the statement that was quoted out of context?

Perhaps it's just too early in the morning here.

Top Bottom