Google Apps drops support for IE8

Excellent. This is only a positive.

People should be moving away from Windows XP now, anyway. It's 10 years old, and it's been three years since something much better came along. It looks like Windows 8 won't be incredibly successful so making a move to Windows 7 now is a wise move.

I wonder how long before people like Google and Mozilla drop support for their browsers on XP?

Both Chrome and Mozilla can be forked, so there are no worries there. Besides, many tried Vista when that came out, and that was a steaming pile of ...., and of course people don't want to spend money on Windows 7. I still see windows 7 as a SP to Vista.

What would be more fun is what happens when XP reaches EOL, which is scheduled for next year, if I am not mistaken.

http://technologizer.com/2011/10/26/why-would-anyone-use-windows-xp-today-anyhow/

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2012/01/how-much-xp-is-still-around.php

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats.htm

Well 40% of 2.26 billion is 880 million ?

I'm not sure how many desktop computers are connected to the internet.
regardless of that number ... 40% are Windows XP.

That many computers aren't going away quickly ... mostly because .... for the purposes of the users ... it's "Good Enough" (or so the lazy(?) IT department thinks so).

I think lazy might be a bit harsh. We are a large hospital and healthcare dollars are a precious resource. We are in the process of upgrading to Win7, but it will still take another year or two before we're done. I don't work in IT here, but I've heard estimates of about 50,000 desktops. Plus, we have a lot of homegrown software that needed to be modified prior to upgrading. That was a lot of work and a lot of money spent. We can't upgrade just because a new operating system comes out, even though that would make me happy - I'm the type that needs the latest and greatest all the time.
MS is still supporting XP, and yes it is good enough for now.

I did say lazy(question mark) :)

I wonder how many of those 50,000 hospital computers are 10 years old ?
It must be slow when the nurses check their Facebook updates.
/just kidding :)

I think lazy might be a bit harsh. We are a large hospital and healthcare dollars are a precious resource. We are in the process of upgrading to Win7, but it will still take another year or two before we're done. I don't work in IT here, but I've heard estimates of about 50,000 desktops. Plus, we have a lot of homegrown software that needed to be modified prior to upgrading. That was a lot of work and a lot of money spent. We can't upgrade just because a new operating system comes out, even though that would make me happy - I'm the type that needs the latest and greatest all the time.
MS is still supporting XP, and yes it is good enough for now.
We just reduced the tolerance for replacing computers, though our computer system is not dependent on OS at all.

I think they replace them every 2 - 3 years.
Actually what kills us is Netflix. We share our bandwidth with our wireless service that is available to patients. It's very noticeable when they are awake and more active.
We have a policy the social networking sites aren't allowed during work time, I doubt it's honored by most.

Top Bottom