Goodbye ServInt - Hello WiredTree

Anthony Parsons

I have to say that shifting servers has gotten much easier over the years with the way in which WHM has evolved to really get inter-server transfers spot-on. Bar one minor issue forgetting to have memcached installed on the new server, each account transferred beautifully and just works.

Always a little bit of a headache though I feel... especially those sites on dedicated ip's that then do take the full 24 - 48hrs to propagate vs. a couple of hours for those who share usually the main ip. Having to fully shutdown a site for that period tends to upset a few people... especially forums. Doh!

ServInt is an excellent host, but they simply become too expensive at the upper range when one begins needing cores and cpu's allocated vs. other competitors who then come in around 40 - 50% cheaper for the same grade equipment / near identical specs. It was the only reason I moved... I ran out of CPU, needed more, but their upper-end pricing is just too expensive compared to the competition. Been a damn good host for 5 years now and hate to move from them, but so far it seems promising.

I had to switch from shared hosting back in August with just my one vBulletin site. I tried ServInt, KnownHost, VPS Latch, and finally WiredTree in that order. Had problems with all of them but WiredTree during the transfer and was not satisfied with the support given. I've had to open tickets for other issues after moving my site over to WiredTree and their managed support quickly resolved all of those issues.

I'm now hosting that vB board and my new xF board on the same WiredTree VPS server with no issues at all!

I love the Grove Panel where I can monitor the sites load in relation to the VPS package that I am paying for. I can easily see when I'm getting close to my limits.

especially those sites on dedicated ip's that then do take the full 24 - 48hrs to propagate vs. a couple of hours for those who share usually the main ip.
Do you mean when you switch a site to a new dedicated IP? If you set the "minimum" value in the SOA for the domain to 5 minutes a few days before the move you should only have to wait a few minutes for the switch to propagate. Minimum does roughly the same thing as TTL does for other records (A, CNAME, MX, etc.).

There also shouldn't be any difference between a dedicated or shared IP where propagation is concerned. But nothing should take 24 to 48 hours anymore.

There also shouldn't be any difference between a dedicated or shared IP where propagation is concerned. But nothing should take 24 to 48 hours anymore.
Ever pointed a .com.au domain at a US server? Give it a shot and see how long it takes to fully propagate.

I do agree, many that I have just transferred have done it within minutes to a few hours... some though, especially dedicated IP's... just seem to take longer. I have just checked this morning, and the dedicated one is now over after only about 14 - 18hrs, which is nice.

I'm not a server tech, so no doubt what you say is absolutely correct, but I can tell you that my experience pointing a .com.au TLD at a US server, takes days. The last one took about 60hrs before it finally stopped dropping in and out.

Just put it under full load by turning all sites back on, and I have to say the WiredTree solution did the trick, at a cheaper price than I could have achieved it through ServInt. I see a long future now with WiredTree and hopefully not having to upgrade for years. I said that at the beginning of this year, and already outgrew the damn hosting requirements in under a year...

Which servint package were you on and which package are you using with wiredtree? Were you using a stock setup on sevint or did tweak your VPS?

Ever pointed a .com.au domain at a US server? Give it a shot and see how long it takes to fully propagate.
I'm fresh out of .com.au domains to experiment with, but it would take about five minutes.

Which it could for you as well, but you seem to have convinced yourself otherwise, so good luck.

Shouldn't take long at all, 5-10 minutes tops, IF you're using the right nameserver setup @ home.
Of course, that's the key, a LOT of ISP's have their DNS cached and don't feel like updating it for a day or so. That's one of the main reasons I use opendns myself. Instant caching and updates FTW

Which servint package were you on and which package are you using with wiredtree? Were you using a stock setup on sevint or did tweak your VPS?
Ultimate VPS on servint + I have a dedicated which is used for video streaming using wowzamediapro. I got the hybrid at wiredtree with a little more RAM added to it than standard... otherwise, it is super fast with that extra CPU, and the overall cost hasn't increased, which is nice.
I'm fresh out of .com.au domains to experiment with, but it would take about five minutes. Which it could for you as well, but you seem to have convinced yourself otherwise, so good luck.
I'm sorry that you feel as though you're right about everything, but I am telling you that it just doesn't propagate in 10 minutes with a .com.au. I did one .com.au yesterday which is registered here with netregistry, and that did it by morning... I did another last night that is registered with MelbourneIT, and guess what???? It still hasn't propagated fully and is dropping in and out.

Now, if you know something that I obviously don't, instead of being a smart arse, why don't you just enlighten me on how exactly I control it being instant like you are saying, being that I enter the new nameservers with the registrar, my host nameservers are already established as I did them days ago. My domains with godaddy are doing it near instantly. Works just as you are stating. The .com.au domains registered with registrars here in OZ... they aren't doing it instantly at all... and if you have a solution, please enlighten me instead of trying to be a smart arse.

Ultimate VPS on servint + I have a dedicated which is used for video streaming using wowzamediapro. I got the hybrid at wiredtree with a little more RAM added to it than standard... otherwise, it is super fast with that extra CPU, and the overall cost hasn't increased, which is nice.

I'm sorry that you feel as though you're right about everything, but I am telling you that it just doesn't propagate in 10 minutes with a .com.au. I did one .com.au yesterday which is registered here with netregistry, and that did it by morning... I did another last night that is registered with MelbourneIT, and guess what???? It still hasn't propagated fully and is dropping in and out.

Now, if you know something that I obviously don't, instead of being a smart arse, why don't you just enlighten me on how exactly I control it being instant like you are saying, being that I enter the new nameservers with the registrar, my host nameservers are already established as I did them days ago. My domains with godaddy are doing it near instantly. Works just as you are stating. The .com.au domains registered with registrars here in OZ... they aren't doing it instantly at all... and if you have a solution, please enlighten me instead of trying to be a smart arse.
A friend had 5-10 minute propogation with Namecheap for .com.au domains.

Nice... that would be so good. I know the ones I have that go to local OZ servers, they are near instant... but it seems to take ages for the ones that go to my US based server. Weird really... some I have on my godaddy account point towards an oz server, and they are the same, about 10 minutes, if that. I think MelbourneIT have some sort of funny issue with using them... not real sure, but frustrating to wait such long times nowadays IMHO. I did another that is through netregistry, and it just did it within an hour. Strange, strange behaviour.

Ah... now you're making sense to me MJP... thank you very much. Not as tech savvy as you obviously... so I don't understand everything server. I know enough to be dangerous, but that's about it, when it comes to servers.

Much appreciated.

Shouldn't take long at all, 5-10 minutes tops, IF you're using the right nameserver setup @ home.
Of course, that's the key, a LOT of ISP's have their DNS cached and don't feel like updating it for a day or so. That's one of the main reasons I use opendns myself. Instant caching and updates FTW
When we moved it was no problem for the members when viewing from home, but it took almost 2 weeks to propagate through everyones work place, especially in parts of Europe. Maybe 5% had issues from work after 4 days, those were resolved within 2 weeks.

A quick shout out for Linode. I recently moved from a dedicated server with cPanel to a VPS with no control panel and couldn't be happier. I lowered operating costs while increasing system resources.

Top Bottom