Goodbye ServInt - Hello WiredTree

a LOT of ISP's have their DNS cached and don't feel like updating it for a day or so.
it took almost 2 weeks to propagate through everyones work place, especially in parts of Europe.
There seems to be a bit of confusion about how DNS caching works. Even an ISP that maintains a DNS cache for a day or a week or a month updates it much more frequently.

It is extremely rare to find a DNS server for an ISP that updates less frequently than hourly (I would say it never happens, but then some smart arse who works at the only ISP in Krysblechistan - still running a wall of dozens of 28.8 modems - would chime in to prove me wrong). So they may keep the cache for days, but if your SOA says to update your record every five minutes, it will update every time the ISP updates.

I have been toiling in the horrible sweatshops of the web hosting business for 16 years (under such unbearable conditions as mountains of free food and drink, the ability to show up for work in your underwear if that's how you roll, and big semi-annual bonuses and profit sharing), and yes, DNS cache used to be the bane of our existence. But those days are long gone, and if you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty and dig into your own DNS records a little bit, you can control how the world treats your domains, and not be at the mercy of the long cache.

Free yourselves, brothers and sisters! Rise up from under the shackles of the man!

It is extremely rare to find a DNS server for an ISP that updates less frequently than hourly (I would say it never happens, but then some smart arse who works at the only ISP in Krysblechistan - still running a wall of dozens of 28.8 modems - would chime in to prove me wrong). So they may keep the cache for days, but if your SOA says to update your record every five minutes, it will update every time the ISP updates.
AOL/TW , one of the largest ISP's in the states do, in fact delay these updates. I've verified this a few times ;)

A quick shout out for Linode. I recently moved from a dedicated server with cPanel to a VPS with no control panel and couldn't be happier. I lowered operating costs while increasing system resources.

Good for you ... I hope others will follow ... ;)

I have a suggestion for Godaddy customers.

Godaddy DNS is rock solid top notch best-of-the-best you-can't-get-any-better :D

If your domain is registered through Godaddy use their total DNS.

instantly move from one server to another

I have a suggestion for Godaddy customers.

Godaddy DNS is rock solid top notch best-of-the-best you-can't-get-any-better :D

If your domain is registered through Godaddy use their total DNS.

instantly move from one server to another
Does it make up for all their other issues ;)?

Does it make up for all their other issues ;)?

I don't see godaddy have any issue at their main business : Domain registration.

Godaddy is good at what they started out to be : A domain registrar. anything else they are just garbage.

Use their name servers they are scattered around the world and they give you TOTAL Control of every DNS aspect free.

I don't see godaddy have any issue at their main business : Domain registration..
Try contacting support some time, they're a joke.
I moved everything away from GD quite a few years back because of their pathetic support, their strongarm tactics re: passwords, and their pathetic policies. Haven't looked back one bit.

Try contacting support some time, they're a joke.
I moved everything away from GD quite a few years back because of their pathetic support, their strongarm tactics re: passwords, and their pathetic policies. Haven't looked back one bit.

What kind of support do you need with domain registration ? again I'm not talking about their hosting or whatever junk they are pushing on people

I have over 150 domains with godaddy. Their DNS service is unmatched by anyone. NONE

I don't see godaddy have any issue at their main business : Domain registration.

Godaddy is good at what they started out to be : A domain registrar. anything else they are just garbage.

Use their name servers they are scattered around the world and they give you TOTAL Control of every DNS aspect free.

They're a good domain registrar... Until you need to transfer your domain, someone gains access to your account, a support tech -gives out- account information, or you have issues with the domain.

They're a good domain registrar... Until you need to transfer your domain, someone gains access to your account, a support tech -gives out- account information, or you have issues with the domain.

I do it every day ... Although i didn't have the need to call customer service. Everything is done through the CP.

No issues what so ever, buy/sell/watch domains on a daily basis

What kind of support do you need with domain registration ? again I'm not talking about their hosting or whatever junk they are pushing on people
What made me leave? A few years back, they had massive password issues, to the point where they were forcing users to be all ultra-secret and ultra-sensitive about their passwords. My password system is simplistic enough that I know it, yet complicated enough that systems such as JTR can't crack it after days. Alas, it's not good enough for them. So, over a 3-6 month period of time, having to reset my password constantly, being locked out (without being told I was locked out mind you), I just told 'em where to stick it.

I could see if they were a bank, or some kind of processing center (ie: paypal, etc), but they're just a damn domain registrar, and really, if a password IS good enough to get by JTR, it's good enough to function.

What got me was the hillarious response of the support tech (get locked out, you HAVE to call support):
Well, just write your password down so you don't forget it

THAT is about the most asinine thing I've ever heard in my life

Their DNS service is unmatched by anyone. NONE
Try your own DNS servers sometime, it's NOT that hard to setup, and it is much easier than using some worthless 3rd party's system.

Try your own DNS servers sometime, it's NOT that hard to setup, and it is much easier than using some worthless 3rd party's system.

Your own DNS will not match theirs. As I said they have them all over the world. Plus I don't have to mingle with anything. the Same name server for all of my domain : need to move ? just edit your new IP adress 5 minutes and you are up and running. Try that with your own DNS
I do have my own DNS by the way (a master to godaddy's ;) )

Yep, for the price of the domain and the sheer tools they provide you to manage your domains, I don't think you can get much better than Godaddy overall. If they did .com.au, I would have those with them as well, but unfortunately they are all kept in Oz only and strictly managed.

Yep, for the price of the domain and the sheer tools they provide you to manage your domains, I don't think you can get much better than Godaddy overall. If they did .com.au, I would have those with them as well, but unfortunately they are all kept in Oz only and strictly managed.

That's the Australian authorities restrictions, complain to your representative :D

That's the Australian authorities restrictions, complain to your representative :D
Yer, they'll never release those to an outside source, considering the work they did some years back cancelling all the BS ones and stripping them from their owners for abuse, ie. not relating to the business registered to use it.

Don't see them listed with auDA, which means their doing it fraudulently or they are only new... but I doubt auDA would not update their site.

http://www.auda.org.au/registrars/registrar-list/

If Gandi are doing it, they aren't doing it officially... and no doubt will get caught. They may have an inter-agency deal with an official registrar, so they are not officially handling .com.au TLD's, but acting on behalf of an official agent.

Top Bottom