Good signature size limit?

It really depends on your forum and what it's about.

Mine is a PlayStation gaming forum and so we allow sigs to contain 1 image with max dimensions of 550 x 125 px and 1 line of text. The image dimensions match those of the official PlayStation signature (portable ID) for those who want to use it, though many users end up creating their own sig image.

The best signature size is zero. I've removed signatures on my forum and not a single person has complained. Why would anyone want to see the same old signature over and over again.

signatures = clutter to the max

The best signature size is zero. I've removed signatures on my forum and not a single person has complained. Why would anyone want to see the same old signature over and over again.

signatures = clutter to the max
As I said, it depends on the site. Image sigs are quite important to users on gaming sites. Whilst some use the same sig image for a long time, many change theirs on a regular basis to reflect the games they are currently playing / favourite game. Others use image sigs from other sites with dynamic stats showing latest kills/awards etc.

Some sites could remove them as there is no real value whilst on others there is. Having clear rules ensures that if you do allow them, users won't abuse them and create hideously huge animated clutter.

I only limit height and amount of links. Usually around 250px heigh, and less than 5 links. It really depends on the site though, for example for a gamer site, I would limit it to the smallest available size of the most popular gamer card service used on the site.

I know its an old topic but instead of making a new one Its better to post here ,

How do I set these limits?

You'd do this using media queries in EXTRA.css.

This limits the actual appearance of the signature on-screen (at different display sizes) by resizing signatures that don't fit the dimensions.

I posted a while back what I used here:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/image-resizer.16398/#post-930038

Those would need adjusting to suit your needs and the style & setup of your forum (note that I also missed out an !important from the last max-height entry).

Top Bottom