Going to start getting serious to make the jump.

Just remember that no question is a stupid question, and we're here to support you. Good Luck!

Thanks a bunch :)

I think I first need to start searching threads to see what has had to be done at each upgrade for the add-on items. I don't know if it is possible to predict how they will survived when 1.1 gets out of beta but maybe I can get a good idea. I think I remember people have had good luck.

I think I also need to be gathering the list of add-on items I think I want.

First stupid question.

I will eventually want to be on 1.1 non-beta when it is available of course.

What things can I be working on now that is the least likely to need to change from the Beta versions.

The first thing that pops into mind is getting the permissions all correct.

I guess in a nut shell, to minimize the rework in the future where is my time best spent now?

Its takes 30 minutes to setup the forum permissions after import... hour tops. Its a nothing task.

Your time is really only in how you want your site to look and what functions you want it to have / custom features you want it to have.

If you want custom features, then learn the styling system from the development side... it takes a few hours to wrap your head around, but is very quick to learn and implement custom solutions within your forum. The same stuff as what Themesinc put out in there xenomorph framework, flexiles few custom additions, etc.

Thanks Anthony.

I think I will start my lists of what I want updating frequently try and get a handle on what I want to get accomplished.

Wants that will likely have to wait:

Article system to be used for marketing. One is being made that should do what I want but I think I will have moved before it is ready.

AWJunkies subscription system, it will do all the things I want but I know think it will be ready by the time I make the move. I am not aware of a close enough substitute at this point.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Things available now:

Banner system, I need to look at all that are available and try to select the one that I think best suits what I want.

Multiple account detection

Stop forum spam

XenTrader

Stop Spam Words

Tap a Talk

Find users sharing same IP

XenCentral trading system

prevent guests/users from using proxies at your forum.

ragtek advanced link permissions and linkchecker or prevent links and emails

minimum number of posts for your users in order for them to send Personal Conversation

search by IP address by using Admin Search.

ban a an user and/or users from entering a forum/forums on forum per forum basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Desired modifications to XenForo:

Dragonfly (Kim) will be doing the skins.

Gender neutral, no male or female identification.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Items I do not know if exist yet:

A method to make one of the forum invisible until a certain post count is reached.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Under consideration:

XenLetter

conversation search

E-mail notification on reported items

New user notification system

Don't know if sphinx is needed on my site at this time.

Digitalpoint user map

First post on all pages

long tail cloud

XenStaff
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Questions

Is it possible to have a set of smiles just for the moderators and admins?

Planning is no fun. Just cover your eyes and crotch and jump in with both feet...that's way more exciting! :p
Wow, Jon really should have been clearer about what sort of jump he meant by "Going to start getting serious to make the jump." :ROFLMAO:

But this is my entire living I will be jumping with.

In that case - wear a wetsuit ... :ROFLMAO:

What software are you migrating from Jon?

I'm in the process now of getting ready to migrate from IPB 3.1.4 and I've made myself a to-do forum where I'm posting note-type threads to myself about useful XF community threads/add-ons - here's my current thread title shortlist (some of which will be totally irrelevant, but some might ping you in regards to your own move [PRE = Prior to move; OTD = On The Day; DM= During migration; PI = Post install]):

• PRE: Create style on test site and export/import to second test site to ensure smooth transfer
  • PRE: Find/install/test "Birthdays" add-on
  • PRE: Install/test Member Map add-on
  • OTD: Consolidate all usergroups into "Members" usergroup (then user promotions to "upgrade" post-install)
  • PRE: Install/test Events add-on (XenAtendo)
  • PRE: Install PECL ImageMagick (apt-get install php5-imagick - then restart Apache2)
  • PI: SQL queries to remove soft-delete items from mod queue
  • PRE: Setup and test moderator and Admin privs
  • PRE: Install/test XFR User Albums
  • PRE: Install/test Tapatalk plugin
  • PRE: Define trophy criteria
  • PRE: Define new usergroup names, access privs, and promotion triggers
  • PI: Setup warnings and actions
  • PI: Edit "Staff online" block to show only icons (reduce size when lots of us are on together)
  • PI: Find add-on to show "Online today" visitor list on homepage
  • PRE: Setup separate apache "site" to act as local CDN to async deliver static content
  • PI: Add more media BBCodes
  • PRE: Fix quotes in sigs (reformat with EXTRA.css)
  • PI: Check all seconadary group user titles
  • PI: Read through sidebar tips (http://xenforo.com/community/threads/tips-n-tricks-to-customize-your-sidebar.9649/)
  • PI: Check GUEST user privs to ensure member privacy
  • PI: Add REGISTRATION terms
  • PI: File edit to extend What's New to 7 days (if needed)
  • PI: Add Viglink and GoogleAds into templates
  • DM: Add smilies
  • DM: Setup trophies
  • DM: Setup usergroup promotions
  • PI: Install the PageSpeed Google analytics marker (http://xenforo.com/community/thread...-new-google-analytics-code.16200/#post-213497)
  • PI: Remove old smiley markup from POST data
  • PI: Add IPB redirects
TBH I'm adding to it all the time and most of that is probably quite specific to my own move - but thought I'd post it in case it is of any use to you or anyone else.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

You could do a lot of that before importing, which would save time during and after.
Stuff like smilies, media bb codes, trophies, editing templates, etc.

I did as much as possible before hand, took a backup and used that as my master clean DB.
I then did multiple test imports, refining the process until it was down to less than an hour from start to finish.
Each time I just reloaded the master DB which wiped out all the imported content but restored all of the settings and configuration.

You could do a lot of that before importing, which would save time during and after.
Stuff like smilies, media bb codes, trophies, editing templates, etc.

I probably will - it was just a quick copy/paste list from my to-do forum.

I'm fleshing XF out on a test install with partially imported data from my live site - and can export table data for various bits into the main install once I begin the migration ... the rest I can copy and paste whilst the main post data is importing on the day (which may take around 30 hours for my poor old server ... (y) ).

Pre-planning is good - it gives you time to think about and address potentially big problems beforehand, but a lot of the smaller stuff can be done afterwards. Providing people can post, you can pretty much put your fingers in your ears and steadily work through the post-install niggles until things settle down.

I'm itching to get moved ... can't wait. (y)

Good luck Jon. :D

I'll definitely be watching this thread. Lots of good information in it as I too will most likely be making the move to XF ;)

Reactions: Kim
Kim the make of super fantastic skins suggested I wait for 1.1 final before that part is done.

If everything else is done on 1.1 beta 4 with the exception of the skins what kind of worst case problems could I have?

I think we would try and get as much as possible done with a copy of members and posts, when that is done flush the data base and rest everything and wait for final. When final is ready upgrade to that, Kim comes in and does her magic, then we import everything again? Is this how it would go?

Top Bottom