God in Heaven How Do I Find XenPorta??

Buga

I've spent hours searching for just XenPorta... instead I find all sorts of additional bits to go with it.
WHERE IS IT??
Somebody PLEASE help me find this simple thing? These addons are so swamped, it's impossible to find anything!

Thank you. I must say I'm disenchanted with this whole thing. I saw that thread and could not see that it was the thing itself; there are many threads that could be it or something to go with it; impossible to know! All so mixed up. And I've paid for an addon from somebody but have no idea now how I get it! This is just the strangest software in the world. There was no download button after purchase. So I have to chase them up now, do I? Bizarre.

If you click on search and then more, you can search specifically for resources, that way you don't get the extra threads along with it :)

Thank you. I must say I'm disenchanted with this whole thing. I saw that thread and could not see that it was the thing itself; there are many threads that could be it or something to go with it; impossible to know! All so mixed up. And I've paid for an addon from somebody but have no idea now how I get it! This is just the strangest software in the world. There was no download button after purchase. So I have to chase them up now, do I? Bizarre.

After some time you sort of get used to it but yes it does become confusing at times :p

And I've paid for an addon from somebody but have no idea now how I get it! This is just the strangest software in the world. There was no download button after purchase. So I have to chase them up now, do I? Bizarre.

Shouldn't be any chasing anyone down. If it goes to a PM to buy, they should email it to you or attach it to the PM. If it goes to their site, that is where you get it then follow the instructions. If it sent you to paypal and you paid, check your paypal address.

The software has nothing to do with it.

Thank you guys but I did what you suggested already. It was impossible for me to see what was the actual thing (this time the prefix was 8way something or other) and to follow that was a host of other things with xenporta in their titles, despite clicking on resource. Yes, it was the first one almost, but no way to know. How can a new person have a clue what to download? And then there is the purchasing; until I receive what I've paid for today, I won't be even considering any more; there seems to be no safeguard here. I'm still waiting.

And to Sheldon I must add, without addons Xenforo seems like nothing I even should have considered buying. It is just forums software; I need far more than that. I feel misled.

And to Sheldon I must add, without addons Xenforo seems like nothing I even should have considered buying. It is just forums software; I need far more than that. I feel misled.

There was no misleading. It is up to each person to investigate each software on their own and make a decision on it. Everything XF has claimed, it does. It certainly doesn't lie about what it is. If you feel like you need more out of the box, that was up to you to take on.

If you could point me to the area where XF claimed to be anything other than forum software, I'd love to see it.

If you could point me to the area where XF claimed to be anything other than forum software, I'd love to see it.

+1

Yeah, I'd like to see where you were misled (link, etc.). I can't imagine anyone believing that 'XenForo' is more than a forum... it's not and it's not advertised as such. Anything else you see 'added on' is 3rd party to XenForo and not a 'core' product.

Disclaimer: Resource Manager and Enhanced Search are the only 'official' addons, but they don't change the base function of the forum software.

Buga has a bit of a point, even though he's she's making it out as a bigger deal than it has to be.

If you search within Resources for 'xenporta', the actual Portal Resource is like the 7th result and it's not that distinguished from the other results. You have to know what you're looking for to pick it out. Surely something can be done to make that a little more obvious.

Perhaps there should be a different pre-fix for resources that add-on to other resources. That would at least provide a clue that those results are secondary add-ons, rather than a primary one. No doubt there's a more elegant solution to be found, though.

Last edited:
Buga has a bit of a point, even though he's making it out as a bigger deal than it has to be.

If you search within Resources for 'xenporta', the actual Portal Resource is like the 7th result and it's not that distinguished from the other results. You have to know what you're looking for to pick it out. Surely something can be done to make that a little more obvious.

Perhaps there should be a different pre-fix for resources that add-on to other resources. That would at least provide a clue that those results are secondary add-ons, rather than a primary one. No doubt there's a more elegant solution to be found, though.

She He does have a point. The resource section is not exactly easy to navigate, especially for people new to Xenforo.

Searching for xenporta yields this.

upload_2014-7-15_10-44-5.webp

Adding the amount of downloads to the relevancy weighting system could help with searching. The ability to exclude "resource updates" might also be beneficial.

Unless I got the symbol wrong that I'm using, last time I looked yeah. Thank you to SamL and DaveM; this software is touted as more than forums but clearly I missed that. I was looking for website software and was recommended to this by many people; but it's the addons that make it more than forums. I'm a graphic designer, I use Mac; this is not website software. It's forums, and it cost me too much to be just that, sorry but that's my opinion. I'm stuck with it now and will endeavour to learn how to make it do more; but it's also true that the addons are a bewildering mass of goodness-knows-what to me; I'm used to buying software that has some support and better tutorials (although I'm grateful to those who have voluntarily made the videos that I've been leaning on). Surely Xenforo can afford to make better ones themselves...

Unless I got the symbol wrong that I'm using, last time I looked yeah. Thank you to SamL and DaveM; this software is touted as more than forums but clearly I missed that. I was looking for website software and was recommended to this by many people; but it's the addons that make it more than forums. I'm a graphic designer, I use Mac; this is not website software. It's forums, and it cost me too much to be just that, sorry but that's my opinion. I'm stuck with it now and will endeavour to learn how to make it do more; but it's also true that the addons are a bewildering mass of goodness-knows-what to me; I'm used to buying software that has some support and better tutorials (although I'm grateful to those who have voluntarily made the videos that I've been leaning on). Surely Xenforo can afford to make better ones themselves...
And this is why people should research something before purchasing - and why there is a demo available and a pre-sales forum to ask questions in. Taking the word of other people for something you are purchasing and not bothering to research it yourself is just asking for trouble.

XenForo is a forum software, it's never claimed to be anything other than a forum software (a very sociable and interactive forum software, mind you). Addons can expand the functionality, but at its core it will still remain a forum. If you weren't looking for a forum, but a website then the people you had advising you are idiots. But that isn't the fault of XenForo.

Top Bottom