Duplicate Go to the last post bug

Sador

I absolutely love that when you click on the title you go to the last unviewed post.

However, I noticed a few times that if you click on the title when there are no new posts since the last time that you checked, the forum will bring you to the first post in the topic. This doesn't seem to be right, in my opinion. I'm not sure it's a bug or a feature, but wouldn't it make more sense to go to the last post if there are no new posts?

Happened a couple of times to me in the XenForo Discussions & Questions forum. Especially in topics with multiple pages, it brings you back to the very first post on the very first page. I'm using FireFox, btw.

I still can't replicate. If this happens again, can you report the URL you see in the browser, clear the cache and try again, when a) not logged in, and b) when logged in?

Happens pretty much all the time in my 'what's the downside' topic in the forum I mentioned. Everytime when there isn't any new post in it, if I click on the title I go to the first post. When there's a new post in the topic after that, it works perfectly fine again.

Can't really clear the cache and I doubt it could have to do with that personally.

Could try it, but either way it would mean something's off at the software, so either way it would be a kind of bug, so it should happen to more people. Since it's 4.17 over here (why the hell am I still awake again?) I'd rather wait and see if other people also notice this.

Look at the URLs and compare them. That should tell you whether it's the software or something else that's weird. :)

Just to emphasize this part:
However, I noticed a few times that if you click on the title when there are no new posts since the last time that you checked, the forum will bring you to the first post in the topic.

That is, the thread isn't bold.

Really, that's the expected behavior. It was a toss up between just taking you to the last post or the first post. We thought that it'd likely be unexpected to take you to the last post, so the first post it is. That's also consistent with what a guest would see, so the behavior doesn't change significantly for a registered user. The date in the right column will always take you to the last post if you're interested.

Just to emphasize this part:
That is, the thread isn't bold.

Really, that's the expected behavior. It was a toss up between just taking you to the last post or the first post. We thought that it'd likely be unexpected to take you to the last post, so the first post it is. That's also consistent with what a guest would see, so the behavior doesn't change significantly for a registered user. The date in the right column will always take you to the last post if you're interested.
Get what you're saying, but it's weird behavior in my opinion. If there's a new post, it takes you to wherever you stopped reading last time. If there are no new posts (and so the thread isn't bold, like you said) it means you already read all posts so the last read post would in fact be the last post. Also, if you read all posts already, you won't likely be reading the entire topic again so the last post would be more logical in that way too.

Top Bottom