Gmail accounts not receiving emails from my server

Erin Nicole

Originally I had my email set as no-reply@codinghelp.site
That works and emails are received by everything except gmail.

I tried to change it to one of my personal emails and I have a test account, tried to send an email to it (a pw reset one) from my board, it is not coming through.

I am logged into gmail.com and I am checking all mail and my spam folder.

This was reported to me by a new user. I have no clue why this is happening.

I did the SPF but it seems the DKIM and DMARC you linked are for google workspace emails. I do not have that. I don't have an @codinghelp.site email I only use the domain for XF.

As a suggestion, i recommend using CloudFlare for DNS purposes, since you can add the SPF, DKIM and DMARC in the dashboard easily.

Good luck. It is a pain in the ass to comply with all these regulations.

Yahoo, for example, is the only domain that bounce all my emails. gMail, Hotmail, Outlook, everything works fine, so I blacklisted then on my site. And, Yahoo is commonly used by spammers/bots/fakes in my country, so... Another good point to block.

Configuring and maintaining a mailserver is a pain in the *ss. I know, done it for years.

Now I'm using a hosted solution. More expensive and less configurable but I sleep better anyhow 😉

Try mail-tester to see how your score is. A really helpful tool.

I did the SPF but it seems the DKIM and DMARC you linked are for google workspace emails. I do not have that. I don't have an @codinghelp.site email I only use the domain for XF.

Where do bounced email messages go?

Do you use the XF bounced email handler to de-activate user accounts which have bounced emails?

Failure to do this and continuing to send emails to previously bounced accounts - will definitely see your domain and mail sending IP blocked by email providers.

Microsoft based email accounts (hotmail / outlook / etc) and others like Yahoo will see your emails end up in spam. Google is much more harsh - they simply block you completely. No spam folder, nothing.

Simply put - your mail sending reputation is toast and you'll need to work hard to rebuild it.

My advice is to use a 3rd party email service provider ( AWS SES / SparkPost / Sendgrid / etc) to send your emails. You'll also need to clean your user accounts to disable any which no longer have valid email addresses. There are 3rd party services you can use to do this.

In recent years, email deliverability has become one of the most challenging parts of running a website, and especially a forum which has large numbers of users and sends lots of emails.

My two cents:

Have been on Microsoft block list from about day one. I once managed to lift my server from it only to be put back to it in less than a week.

Gmail is the same. "Our system has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely suspicious due to the very low reputation of the sending 550-5.7.1 domain"

DKIM, DMARC and SPF all check out.

Same issue. Looks like gmail starting to eventually force everyone to make the adjustments.

My two cents:

Have been on Microsoft block list from about day one. I once managed to lift my server from it only to be put back to it in less than a week.

Gmail is the same. "Our system has detected that this message is 550-5.7.1 likely suspicious due to the very low reputation of the sending 550-5.7.1 domain"

DKIM, DMARC and SPF all check out.

Your server IP might be blacklisted then. Try running tests from external mail servers free trial and see if you're getting the same issue. Fact you're being blocked by both Hotmail and Gmail is an issue. Could also be the content in the email as well. You'll have to debug this and run a variety of tests.

1. Check to see if IP is blocked
2. Check to make sure configurations are properly setup (check bounce back email reply)
3. Adjust text in emails and send something out generic and see if it's still being blocked.
4. Check to see if it's a domain being completely blocked as well.

Top Bottom