global RSS

Live Free

I'd like to add a "latest posts" to the sidebar of my main site, which is powered by wordpress. Is there a global RSS feed instead of feeds that are only specific to particular forums?

I wanted to do the same thing so what I did was, to combine my forum feeds I'm using this site which was really easy http://www.feedcombine.co.uk/ (there's probably others ex: yahoopipes but it looked confusing)

Then I used the RSS widget in wordpress. (there's a few better plugin rss widgets) The default update timer is 12 hours (i think) for wordpress, I added this to my Wordpress theme functions so it displays latest posts more quickly. Change 1800 to whatever you need.
PHP:
add_filter( 'wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime', create_function( '$a', 'return 1800;' ) );

I wanted to do the same thing so what I did was, to combine my forum feeds I'm using this site which was really easy http://www.feedcombine.co.uk/ (there's probably others ex: yahoopipes but it looked confusing)

Then I used the RSS widget in wordpress. (there's a few better plugin rss widgets) The default update timer is 12 hours (i think) for wordpress, I added this to my Wordpress theme functions so it displays latest posts more quickly. Change 1800 to whatever you need.
PHP:
add_filter( 'wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime', create_function( '$a', 'return 1800;' ) );
Or Yahoo Pipes.

Seriously, and no offense intended, but this is just crazy to have to implement just for a feed. New replies bump old topics to the top of the list as well.

There should be an out of the box, sitewide rss feed, that publishes by latest topic.

I haven't had an RSS feed since I switched.

Or Yahoo Pipes.

Seriously, and no offense intended, but this is just crazy to have to implement just for a feed. New replies bump old topics to the top of the list as well.

There should be an out of the box, sitewide rss feed, that publishes by latest topic.

I haven't had an RSS feed since I switched.

I have to agree, there should be a global RSS feed. Maybe there's a reason for this, I don't know. This was the only alternative I found to show a latest posts widget on my Wordpress site.
What I posted was not just for a feed, it's also to show them on the site in a widget, the entire process took all of 2 minutes, but using a global RSS feed would be better.
I wasn't about to spend 25-30$ on a plugin just to be able to draw my own RSS feeds to my own site (i'm sure it's a great addon, I just can't justify buying it for myself) and the Wordpress recent topics addon doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Feed combiner. Why didn't I think of that ;)
And just like that, the feedcombine website stops working after a few hours. It shows "limited access" where the RSS feed should be. I think it's still a beta or something.

The Yahoo pipes does not recognize the RSS from my XF forum.

And just like that, the feedcombine website stops working after a few hours. It shows "limited access" where the RSS feed should be. I think it's still a beta or something.

The Yahoo pipes does not recognize the RSS from my XF forum.
There's other sites .rssmix.com, .jumbra.com, feedstitch.com etc. I got the same error with mine after a day guess I used up my bandwidth, I'm using rssmix and haven't got the error yet.

Top Bottom