1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

global RSS

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Live Free, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

I'd like to add a "latest posts" to the sidebar of my main site, which is powered by wordpress. Is there a global RSS feed instead of feeds that are only specific to particular forums?

Andy.N likes this.
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

There is no global RSS feed.

3. Live Free

Live Free Active Member

Are there plans to add one?

4. ragtek

ragtek Guest

5. bizpro

bizpro Member

6. Scott Dixon

Scott Dixon Member

I wanted to do the same thing so what I did was, to combine my forum feeds I'm using this site which was really easy http://www.feedcombine.co.uk/ (there's probably others ex: yahoopipes but it looked confusing)

Then I used the RSS widget in wordpress. (there's a few better plugin rss widgets) The default update timer is 12 hours (i think) for wordpress, I added this to my Wordpress theme functions so it displays latest posts more quickly. Change 1800 to whatever you need.
    PHP:
    add_filter'wp_feed_cache_transient_lifetime'create_function'$a''return 1800;' ) );

Andy.N likes this.
  7. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Feed combiner. Why didn't I think of that ;)

8. glorify

glorify Well-Known Member

Or Yahoo Pipes.

Seriously, and no offense intended, but this is just crazy to have to implement just for a feed. New replies bump old topics to the top of the list as well.

There should be an out of the box, sitewide rss feed, that publishes by latest topic.

I haven't had an RSS feed since I switched.

Alien and Scott Dixon like this.
  9. Scott Dixon

Scott Dixon Member

I have to agree, there should be a global RSS feed. Maybe there's a reason for this, I don't know. This was the only alternative I found to show a latest posts widget on my Wordpress site.
    What I posted was not just for a feed, it's also to show them on the site in a widget, the entire process took all of 2 minutes, but using a global RSS feed would be better.
    I wasn't about to spend 25-30$ on a plugin just to be able to draw my own RSS feeds to my own site (i'm sure it's a great addon, I just can't justify buying it for myself) and the Wordpress recent topics addon doesn't seem to be working anymore.

Alien and glorify like this.
  10. ragtek

ragtek Guest

It's not for a plugin... It's to get access to all plugins:p

11. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

And just like that, the feedcombine website stops working after a few hours. It shows "limited access" where the RSS feed should be. I think it's still a beta or something.

The Yahoo pipes does not recognize the RSS from my XF forum.

12. Scott Dixon

Scott Dixon Member

There's other sites .rssmix.com, .jumbra.com, feedstitch.com etc. I got the same error with mine after a day guess I used up my bandwidth, I'm using rssmix and haven't got the error yet.

Andy.N likes this.
  13. Gene Steinberg

Gene Steinberg Well-Known Member

Same here. Do we have to bow in the proper direction to get this done?