Give User an Option to self-delete their Account

This can be abused by "kids" getting mad for one moderator action taken on them. If they don't like the forum, simply leave and don't log in.
Its not abused if they choose to delete their account.

Adding this is pointless; members who no longer wish to be part of the community can request an account deletion, or they can go inactive. In all cases I've seen a member claim to leave a community, they have always come back, or they just result to lurking, making the statement pointless. 

Leave and not Login are not the Same as Delete the Account :)
German law requires me to remove any personal information from the database upon request and a request to delete an user account is just that.
It just makes the process easier, the User don´t mail the Admin and Wait because the Account is delete.

German law requires me to remove any personal information from the database upon request and a request to delete an user account is just that.
It just makes the process easier, the User don´t mail the Admin and Wait because the Account is delete.
Well if it's the law then that might change how i feel about it. My ill advised response could very well be due to the fact that i don't want to mess up my rankings in search engines for posts being removed etc.

Maybe we could have a Deactivate Account and if not logged into for X Y then the account becomes deleted? Or if the law is just that "remove any personal information from the database upon request", i don't think xenForo stores any personal info.

I would remove this option upon put on any large scale forum 100% of the time and tell anyone that would lend me their ear to disable it. If a single user contributed 4,000 image attachments or over 1,000 posts I DO NOT want that person to have the ability to remove their content from my forum. Which would be the case in said scenario.

So, have the ability to toggle this on and off if implemented. If 60% of your users delete their account, your site will have less content. Why would you allow that to happen? At least it will die a slow death over the course of a year instead of all your users leaving and taking their content with them.

I Wish an Option, that User can selfdelete there Account.

Would your suggestion extend to all the content created by the user or just the user's account details?

I do not think this is needed since all personal details about the user is put in by themself in the settings area so they can remove that themself and just leave and never log in again. There account and all content should be left on the forum since that is the forums property once its posted.

I do not think this is needed since all personal details about the user is put in by themself in the settings area so they can remove that themself and just leave and never log in again. There account and all content should be left on the forum since that is the forums property once its posted.
Its required by German law.

My problem with this is that users tend to do things without thinking, or on the spur of the moment (Whether its an issue with staff, other members, or personal issues), and deleting an users account is something you can't undo -easily- (Using backup information, but most people aren't likely to do this).

I think this wholly depends on Mike and Kier, as only their feedback will matter in this situation. 

Its required by German law.

My problem with this is that users tend to do things without thinking, or on the spur of the moment (Whether its an issue with staff, other members, or personal issues), and deleting an users account is something you can't undo -easily- (Using backup information, but most people aren't likely to do this).

I think this wholly depends on Mike and Kier, as only their feedback will matter in this situation.
So if I understand you correctly everything an user posts on a forum in threads and such must be removed by your stupid law? Calling it a stupid law only if this is correct.

We have an similar law but that is only for personal details.

So if I understand you correctly everything an user posts on a forum in threads and such must be removed by your stupid law? Calling it a stupid law only if this is correct.

This can clearly change from country to country so it's best to make this into a mod. Also xenForo is a UK based company so shouldn't it only try to heed to UK's laws or even better USA's laws since it's hosted in USA? Please excuse me as i'm not a legal expertise :D

Closing an account would be a good option, but allowing a member to auto delete his posts along with his account is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. When a member requests that we delete his/her account including posts, I ask why. Typically, renaming the account solves the issue the member has with the posts made under the account because it disassociates the posts that the member has made with their real identity or online identity.

Personal information doesn't include content; so only account information.

The OP said this as well.

Closing an account would be a good option, but allowing a member to auto delete his posts along with his account is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. When a member requests that we delete his/her account including posts, I ask why. Typically, renaming the account solves the issue the member has with the posts made under the account because it disassociates the posts that the member has made with their real identity or online identity.
That's the term i was looking for, Recipe For Disaster. That's exactly what this is.

Top Bottom