Gamer Mumble Servers?

xIsabel38

Looking for other gamers or those that run a mumble server for some input on the best mumble servers to purchase. I'd like to get a mumble server for my site purposes but with so many options out there, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Also does anyone know if you can link the mumble server to your own site, like voice.yoursite.com?

Also does anyone know if you can link the mumble server to your own site, like voice.yoursite.com?

You can point a subdomain to any voice server ip. If you are renting then it will require the custom port number to be on the end (or entered, depending on the software).

If you have a VPS you can host mumble yourself for free. I host teamspeak servers, don't have any experience with mumble. If your site is far from your clients then it is better to rent from a host in the area of your clients to reduce latency.

I personally prefer/provide Teamspeak communication for our users. I know for a fact, your question above is doable with Teamspeak.
Have you heard of Teamspeak? May be another option, if not I am wondering what you prefer about Mumble?

As @rainmotorsports stated, really the main concern with VOIP servers... is the latency. Make sure majority of your users all have somewhat descent ping to the server location.

Honestly I like Ventrilo cause that's just what I use 99% of the time. But I'm looking for something very customizable and easy to work with and from what I understood, Mumble was that. I never liked Teamspeak but that was with TeamSpeak 2. I never did bother to give TeamSpeak 3 a try so maybe all of my issues with 2 have been resolved since.

I see, well when it comes to customizability... Teamspeak 3 offers the most custom permissions and channel organization methods. Although I believe it takes a bit more to get used to the complexity.
Personally, once I got the hang of the TS usergroups permissions and channel sorting "advanced permissions" I cannot see myself going back to Vent or Mumble.

Teamspeak 3 is much more advanced atm, when it comes to functionality and customization.

Also, if you do decided to try TS3... make sure to click the "advanced permissions" tree button to view the entire backend custom options. (alot of users over look this, and stick with "easy mode").
perm_sys_en.png

Looking for other gamers or those that run a mumble server for some input on the best mumble servers to purchase. I'd like to get a mumble server for my site purposes but with so many options out there, does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I host on my own server. PM me if you need help with anything.

Get a VPS server somewhere like Digital Ocean for $5 a month, or Linode for $10. Load Ubuntu (or Debian) on it and run the commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get install mumble-server

followed by:

Code:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure mumble-server

This will get you a bare-bones server with more than likely as many slots as you need. There are plenty of do-it-yourself guides out on the web that get into more detail if you need it.

For linking to your site, just create an A record (such as voice.yourdomain.com) in DNS pointing to the IP address of your mumble server.

I use typefrag and have never had an issue along with an A record redirect for voice.domain.com along with the port given and nobody connects knows any different.

Top Bottom