Galaxy SIII
Pro's:
Great phones
Android OS
Map and Navigator have a great street view for turn by turn for free

Con's:
Phone breaks, they want to replace battery and plug
Eats battery life without an app

iPhone 4s (I intend to get one next month)
Pro's:
Small smartphone unlike Galaxy phones
Apple Linux OS
Wifi Sync is much better than Android's

Con's:
Expensive
If phone breaks and have insurance, still have to pay $199 deductible

Overall the choice is based on what you prefer.
Just a small point. iOS isn't Linux. Its BSD.

So, my Blackberry kind of exploded, and I'm on the edge of buying the Galaxy S III without knowing what the iPhone 5 will be. Any thoughts? It's a real tough decision :(

So, my Blackberry kind of exploded, and I'm on the edge of buying the Galaxy S III without knowing what the iPhone 5 will be. Any thoughts? It's a real tough decision

Get the iPhone. Phones are not a place for the Wild West software market of Android. Phones are morphing to bank connected virtual wallets. Your physical location is on the phone. All our contacts and their personal information. It's a time when you really want the controlled phone application environment of Apple. Apple upgrades the software, the apps upgrade and are screened. None of that happens with the Androids.

For a tablet or netbook, Android is OK, but for the phone, the iPhone is the better and more secure option.

I went with the Galaxy Nexus over the S3... smaller screen and less ram yes... but it also doesn't have the bull**** add-ons that most phones have. Not to mention the battery life is a bit longer.

There actually isn't much garbage installed on the S3 that isn't actually useful, and most of it isn't intrusive. The new Touchwiz is much better than previous versions.

I also get a day and a half screen (mostly inside, so screen is dimmed) with using it, and playing games.

I own all 3 of the galaxy series (S+, S2 and S3) and I would recommend each one over the comparable iPhone (3GS, 4, 4S).

Don't really like Apple's way of doing things. They think, they know it all and can dictate how users should be using their devices - but if I purchase a piece of hardware for a couple hundred bucks, *I* want to be the only one who decides how to use it. With Android's large and still fast growing community of open-minded developers, Android fits the needs of advanced users much better than iOS. That's why most IT professionals prefer Android.

Also, Android 4 and the upcoming 4.1 runs circles around any iOS currently available, especially on multicore processors. In fact, I haven't seen a single "lag" on my S3, no matter under what circumstances - it's always super-smooth and extremely responsive.

The S3 is nearly as smooth as Jellybean (Touch responsiveness on Jeallybean is better, but add that to smoothness and speed on S3, and it's a geekgasm).

Updating isn't even an option for most of the Android phones. Whatever OS you got with the phone is the one the phone will have til you get a new phone.

The reverse is probably true for most iPhone users, iTunes will up date you automatically 99.9% of the time. Users don't have to do anything. The same is true on updating the apps with reminders every time any app you have installed is updated. For a phone, Apples more controlled and stable environment is better way to go. You get updated OS, updated apps no matter how old the phone.

Samsung updates their phones, the ones they do not generally do not work well with the new version of Android (Hardware issues). HTC, and many other makers update their phones as well.

You're talking utter garbage, and obviously have never had a current Android phone. Statistics show that there are a lot of outdated phones, but the majority of these were cheap or budget phones released 2 or 3 years ago, and Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean wouldn't have worked stably on the phone (My old Nexus S 4G had issues with ICS due to low memory).

Android has offered OTA updates, which makes updating quick and easy, and painless. App updates are controlled through the Play Store, and are easily done (You can automate them and do it over wifi only as well). You never have to plugin your phone to your computer if you do not wish too, a huge complaint about the iPhone.

Get the iPhone. Phones are not a place for the Wild West software market of Android. Phones are morphing to bank connected virtual wallets. Your physical location is on the phone. All our contacts and their personal information. It's a time when you really want the controlled phone application environment of Apple. Apple upgrades the software, the apps upgrade and are screened. None of that happens with the Androids.

For a tablet or netbook, Android is OK, but for the phone, the iPhone is the better and more secure option.

In all of the devices I have ever had on Android, I have not once gotten any malware. Know why? I use common sense and check permissions.

If I download a fart app, and it is asking for permissions it does not need, I won't be installing it. The main risk is when you sideload apps, but then again, you will only install apps that you trust unless you're an idiot.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone...hut-down-after-malware-uploaded-to-app-store/ it's possible to get malware approved on the App Store. There are still ways to bypass security on an iPhone, and chances are Vincent would end up jailbreaking his iPhone, which makes it as 'insecure' as an Android device.

The iPhone 5 won't be available until mid November, but they will be a significant upgrade over anything on the market today.

Just like the 4S was suppose to be, right?

Statistics show that there are a lot of outdated phones, but the majority of these were cheap or budget phones released 2 or 3 years ago

Zero iPhones at 4 years that are outdated. You make my point.

And the OS update on the Android phones is determined by the phone mfg. due to customization of Android OS to the phone hardware. The phone mfg's have so many models it is simply not practical for them to go back and make them compatible. And the third strike is they have incentive NOT to upgrade the phones so people get new ones every 2 years.

iPhones have longer life span in regard to OS updates.

You never have to plugin your phone to your computer if you do not wish too, a huge complaint about the iPhone.

iPhone's update and synch via Wifi.

In all of the devices I have ever had on Android, I have not once gotten any malware. Know why? I use common sense and check permissions.

We salute your expertise and vigilance and dedication to keeping your phone clean of Android rogue apps. Most users would prefer not to have to be in Defcon-4 on their phone all the time. A non-issue for iPhone users. Key when phones become money dispensing devices.

iPhones are safer.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. My next laptop/tablet will be full OS MS Surface and I'll bag my iPad 2 and HP Netbook. But for the necessary phone security, lifetime of OS usage and utility, the iPhone is the way to go.

Zero iPhones at 4 years that are outdated. You make my point.

And the OS update on the Android phones is determined by the phone mfg. due to customization of Android OS to the phone hardware. The phone mfg's have so many models it is simply not practical for them to go back and make them compatible. And the third strike is they have incentive NOT to upgrade the phones so people get new ones every 2 years.

iPhones have longer life span in regard to OS updates.

iPhone's update and synch via Wifi.

We salute your expertise and vigilance and dedication to keeping your phone clean of Android rogue apps. Most users would prefer not to have to be in Defcon-4 on their phone all the time. A non-issue for iPhone users. Key when phones become money dispensing devices.

iPhones are safer.

I'm not an Apple fanboy. My next laptop/tablet will be full OS MS Surface and I'll bag my iPad 2 and HP Netbook. But for the necessary phone security, lifetime of OS usage and utility, the iPhone is the way to go.
I don't make your point, you were generalizing all OEM's as if they do not update their products, when most do infact update their phones.

Most current phones do get updates, except for OEM's that have a poor track record of doing so (Samsung isn't one of them). Samsung has already stated they're working on the Jellybean update for the SGS3 (Which has only been out for a few months).

iPhones might have longer lifespans for OS updates, but they don't always get the newest features or have any way of doing so. Only the iPhone 4S got Siri, everything else got a half-assed update. Unlike Android, you also do not have the choice to use a ROM either.

I wasn't aware that using common sense means you have to be an expert, stay vigilant or be dedicated? I figured it only meant being moderately intelligent and choose what you do or do not install; all it entails is checking permissions and asking yourself does this app need those. More often than not, people will not install apps that they're unsure about in the first place, and they will check reviews. That or they just get suggested apps from their friends, or the different websites (I'm more than happy to suggest apps or sites to people, I've done so for Kevin and Shelley already).

Again, there is not really much in the way of increased security on iOS. It's security by walled garden, and once you crack that wall garden (jailbreaking) you let everything you want out potentially in. The only real security is the fact that they have a review process for apps, and I showed you that it isn't as perfect as people make it out to be.

If you mean Google Wallet, Paypal Mobile or similar systems, none of them pass payment information to or from your device. The device sends only the information of what you're paying for, and the payment is done remotely through the payment gateways site.

The only real differentiator between buying an iPhone or an Android is preference, and what you're wanting to do with it. If you use Gmail, or any Google products, Android devices are a billion times better for you. If you have a Mac or iPad you should stick with an iPhone. If you prefer a closed system, you choose iPhone, if you want an open system you choose Android. The differences really are minute, and the user experience really isn't any worse on either platform (Again, preference in design style whether or not you want skeuomorphic or a hybrid of skeuomorphic/digital).

iPhones might have longer lifespans for OS updates, but they don't always get the newest features or have any way of doing so. Only the iPhone 4S got Siri, everything else got a half-assed update.

Every iPhone gets the full OS update. While most Androids wait for mfg to maybe get around to it vs. buying their new phone. Mfg has no incentive to upgrade older phones and every incentive not to. It costs them money while producing no new revenue while getting user to purchase new phone creates revenue. The Android phone business model is similar to the old Wintel model, the software upgrades outdate the hardware requiring purchase of new equipment to keep up.

I wasn't aware that using common sense means you have to be an expert, stay vigilant or be dedicated?

Being on your guard for Android rouge apps is certainly common sense but it is a danger and task iPhone users do not need to worry about.

Again, there is not really much in the way of increased security on iOS. It's security by walled garden, and once you crack that wall garden (jailbreaking) you let everything you want out potentially in.

Eyup...once you leave yourself open to rogue software you leave yourself open to rogue software. It is a good reason not to break your phone's security setup for minimal if any benefit.

Every iPhone gets the full OS update. While most Androids wait for mfg to maybe get around to it vs. buying their new phone. Mfg has no incentive to upgrade older phones and every incentive not to. It costs them money while producing no new revenue while getting user to purchase new phone creates revenue. The Android phone business model is similar to the old Wintel model, the software upgrades outdate the hardware requiring purchase of new equipment to keep up.

Being on your guard for Android rouge apps is certainly common sense but it is a danger and task iPhone users do not need to worry about.

Eyup...once you leave yourself open to rogue software you leave yourself open to rogue software. It is a good reason not to break your phone's security setup for minimal if any benefit.
Every phone does not get the full update. Every model before the iPhone 4s did not get Siri, which is a main part of the iOS 5 update.

Who said I'm on my guard? I use common sense and I do not install things that I cannot trust. Those things that I'm unsure about I check permissions. This is something people should do for everything, not just phones. Nothing is ever completely secure, and it is better to be aware and safe than deal with the consequences of negligence. And again, my link a few posts back show that there is the possibility of malware on iOS, so they should worry about it. The out of sight, out of mind approach to security does not work.

Every phone does not get the full update. Every model before the iPhone 4s did not get Siri, which is a main part of the iOS 5 update.

Interesting but Apple does not list Siri as one of the 200 new features of IOS 5.1. but they do note that IOS 5.1 is compatible with the four year old iPhone 3GS.

Siri is listed as one of the features of IOS6 coming out shortly and that lists compatibility back to four year old iPhone 3GS.

On the other hand, here's the Android universe. Notice how so few have the latest OS while in iPhone's case, they all have latest OS.

Android_chart.png

I find the whole security debate interesting, mostly because it's not based in reality.

Both platforms have strengths and weaknesses.

On Android and iOS, apps cannot access the phone's hardware. Both also have layers of software that prevent apps from directly connecting to your phone. And yes, while Android has a lower barrier to entry for apps, there have been cases of unauthorized access to sensitive data on both platforms.

As for permission-based access, both platforms have it. With Android, you are shown a list of what data or hardware will be accessed by the app before you actually download and install the app. Once you grant permission, the app is actually downloaded and installed. In the case of iOS, you need to install the app first, and such controls kick in when the app actually requires access to your phone's data or hardware. There's pros and cons to both approaches.

Android's biggest weakness is that there isn't a reliable method for updating devices to the latest firmware, which bring bug/security fixes (as well as new features). You can workaround this by rooting and installing a custom ROM. In the case of iOS, one big example of a security weakness is the SSL MITM flaw existing in devices prior to iOS 4.3.5. This vulnerability existed in millions of Apple devices, and has exploits in the wild. There are several iOS devices that cannot upgrade to 4.3.5 or higher, so the flaw still exists. People can choose to jailbreak, though it opens up more security holes (e.g., iPhone PDF parser).

So, that whole argument is pretty much moot. Coming from a blackberry, you'd probably be pleased with either choice. :p

you can not exchange battery on the iphone. If you use it a lot, you can throw it after 2 years away. this is a no-go for me. plus the weired restrictons with apps, flash etc.

you can not exchange battery on the iphone. If you use it a lot, you can throw it after 2 years away. this is a no-go for me. plus the weired restrictons with apps, flash etc.
Really? I used my 3GS for more that two years with no problems or loss of battery life. Flash? Battle fought and flash lost. HTML5 won. (http://mashable.com/2011/11/11/flash-mobile-dead-adobe/). I have no idea what weird restrictions on apps you're talking about.

looks like some apps won't even work on android now due to flash coming to an end/ going unsupported (i don't know the full story) but i know I can't use BBC iplayer on the nexus7.

Edit:

you can not exchange battery on the iphone. If you use it a lot, you can throw it after 2 years away.

Interesting that its been five years and no mountain of dead iPhones. The concern over battery life vs. the reality probably sums up the exaggerated objections to the iPhone. While Samsung and Google have done a good job of imitating the iPhone, it is still an imitation of life.

Interesting that its been five years and no mountain of dead iPhones. The concern over battery life vs. the reality probably sums up the exaggerated objections to the iPhone.

A friend of mine is apple dealer. I can assure you, that many iphones went for exchange because the battery lasted after 2 years not long enough anymore. Apples policy in Europe: ( official answer to costumers) buy a new iphone.

And many did exactly this. They bought one iphone after the other as soon as a new model came out. This is also a way to extend battery life :)

Top Bottom