Galaxy S III or iPhone 4S

Why are you so emotional? If you do not want to believe, what others are posting and you state it as they would lie, there is no point to continue this discussion with you. But the fact that you do not want to accept others opinions and experiences tells alot about your fixed perspective ;)
Apple's secret mind control facility is obviously working quite well.

Hopefully, this time the Android camp will refuse from "blatantly copying" Apple's innovations :)

I do not buy a device because of its resale value, neither with cars, nor with tablets or phones. I buy it because it does what I need to do with it and because also as a minor point if I like the design and/ or quality.

Point of noting the iPhone's resale value, even for models several years old, and Galaxy's lack of it is to see how the unbiased market values the devices.

This gets back to the fact that Apple keeps the iPhones up to date with latest operating system. And it requires that the apps keep up to date also. The iPhone's better long term functionality is reflected in the fact that older iPhones are up to date and valuable while 2-3 years old Android phones are worthless and have no upgrade path.

I've been an Apple user since 1984 - and my family members have quite a few iphones.

I just got my first real iPhone (4S) a few weeks ago - had hand-me-down ancient models before that.

BUT, having used the Nexux 7" tablet for awhile, I am very impressed with the newest Android systems. I may even hand my iphone down to my daughter and get one of them!

I'd say Android pulled a bit ahead with their form factor - and also allow for a bit more of a "desktop computer" feel for those of us who don't want everything as simple as IOS makes it. It seems easier to store stuff locally on Android.

My guess is that the iphone 5 will put Apple back on par or ahead. In the end, I think the choice is a personal one.

I agree about the resale value, but most phones get lost/broken or upgraded in that two year cycle anyway, so many people don't really care about the resale many years later.

I agree about the resale value, but most phones get lost/broken or upgraded in that two year cycle anyway, so many people don't really care about the resale many years later.

I agree. My only point in bringing it up was that it gave an unbiased, real market value for Apple's keeping the iPhones and apps up to date. It also pointed out the fact that a real issue with the Androids is the mfg.s do not keep them up to date with latest Google OS.

It's a win win for Apple. Users can buy new product and sell older product and Apple gains a new customer for apps in the person who purchases the older phone sells new product.

It's win win for customers, their phone keeps up for several years and has a real value.

Point of noting the iPhone's resale value, even for models several years old, and Galaxy's lack of it is to see how the unbiased market values the devices.

This gets back to the fact that Apple keeps the iPhones up to date with latest operating system. And it requires that the apps keep up to date also. The iPhone's better long term functionality is reflected in the fact that older iPhones are up to date and valuable while 2-3 years old Android phones are worthless and have no upgrade path.

Many carriers offer trade-in, as do many companies you can buy phones with. For example, I traded in my temporary Nexus phone for my Galaxy S3 for half the value of the phone. If I waited 18 months, I'd have gotten 30%-40% of the value (I forget exactly).

Again, you're spreading misinformation as most current phones get upgraded for the full amount of times. The graph you swear by is slightly skewed as it covers all devices, including things such as watches, PMP and outdated generic tablets.

The main OEM's upgrade the hardware if it is logical to do so (My example of the HTC Desire HD isn't updated due to partitioning, which would cause people to lose their data in an upgrade). It generally does take longer for upgrades, but the majority of devices do get upgrades.
I've been an Apple user since 1984 - and my family members have quite a few iphones.

I just got my first real iPhone (4S) a few weeks ago - had hand-me-down ancient models before that.

BUT, having used the Nexux 7" tablet for awhile, I am very impressed with the newest Android systems. I may even hand my iphone down to my daughter and get one of them!

I'd say Android pulled a bit ahead with their form factor - and also allow for a bit more of a "desktop computer" feel for those of us who don't want everything as simple as IOS makes it. It seems easier to store stuff locally on Android.

My guess is that the iphone 5 will put Apple back on par or ahead. In the end, I think the choice is a personal one.

iOS6 really isn't all that impressive in comparison to Jelly Bean. Google Now has a lot to offer over Siri (It isn't just a gimmick, I actually find real use for it unlike most voice assistants). The fact that a major feature coming up is Facebook integration would have me worried, as that is something I would not want at the OS level in a phone (Google+ isn't even OS level, it is only shipped with Google branded devices pre-installed).
I agree. My only point in bringing it up was that it gave an unbiased, real market value for Apple's keeping the iPhones and apps up to date. It also pointed out the fact that a real issue with the Androids is the mfg.s do not keep them up to date with latest Google OS.

It's a win win for Apple. Users can buy new product and sell older product and Apple gains a new customer for apps in the person who purchases the older phone sells new product.

It's win win for customers, their phone keeps up for several years and has a real value.
:rolleyes:

you can not exchange battery on the iphone. If you use it a lot, you can throw it after 2 years away...

My wife and I bought our 3Gs' when they first came out (June 2009). We're still happily using them each day.
That said, I never thought the battery life of any 'smart phone' was all that great, so...

My wife and I bought our 3Gs' when they first came out (June 2009). We're still happily using them each day.
That said, I never thought the battery life of any 'smart phone' was all that great, so...
Battery issues tend to be hit or miss. People who constantly charge their phone, and over charge it tend to have more battery issues.

People who follow proper care for their battery (even unknowingly) have less issues.

Generally people fall in the first group (This is for any electronic).

how many hours per day are you on the phone talking with the iphone?

I suppose an hour to an hour and a half a day for me is probaly the max. She's a bit more chatty

I'm a heavy user (Bluetooth GPS with iPhone tracking software for 4-6 hours plus iPhone as Wifi hotspot) and the Mophie battery cases are great. Good protection and I never use the iPhone battery.

Hello guys,

In 10 hours, I'll be going to the store to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 (The blue one, with the flip cover).

First of all I'd like tot thank you for all the comments, it really helped me making my choice. I won't be leaving you empty handed though. In a month or so I'll write something about my experience with the phone. We'll see if you were right ;)

Second, I am not an iPad/iPod user. We have 2 iPads laying downstairs. One for the dad and one for the mom. I just update them when necessary. I also have an iPod Touch because I thought it was cool 3 years ago. It was, until I dropped it 3 times so the screen had 3 cracks which aligned perfectly for a piece of glass to fall out.

I know I said in the first post that I would wait for the iPhone 5. But thanks to the poor quality of todays Blackberries I'm not able to wait any longer. If my phone hadn't start heating like hell, zooming and smoking I would've waited.

I have made a summary of who voted for what and what arguments were given.

I must say I noticed some people have a very fixated way of thinking. Especially one person in this thread. He appears to love the iPhone and did not know much about Android, so he just kind of trashed Androis. I have not taking any arguments from him in my summary. I did love BGL vs everyone's security debate though. BTW, I don't give a **** about the resale value.

Here's my summary:
Galaxy:
- CBI Web
- Darkimmortal
- Slavik
- Cal
- optrex
- Jaxel (He had to be a buzzkill, and choose for the Galaxy Nexus ;))
- Floren (So did he ;))
- Shelley
- SilverCircle
- steven s
- intushour
- a legacy reborn
- stewart1champ
- snoopy5
- yavuz
- DaveL
- Ranger375

iPhone:
- patrick91
- Qwk86gn
- 8thos
- BGL
- Fred Sherman
- Allen

Pro Galaxy (Con iPhone):
- iPhone is too basic. Galaxy can do everything better.
- Apple store is full of lame apps, because of Apple's iron hand. Only way for good apps is Jailbreaking.
- iPhone's screen (Although it's made out of the same glass as the Galaxy) and buttons are too fragile.
- Galaxy has a removable cover. A flip cover can be applied which doesn't make the Galaxy much thicker.
- Galaxy is always Smooth and Responsive.
- Open Minded Developers and Growing Community.
- Galaxy has a removable battery.
- Android supports flash. Although that's kind of dead now, so it's not a valid argument.
- iCloud will definitely bring security issues one day.

Contra Galaxy (Pro iPhone):
- Calling is said to be clearer on the iPhone.
- Regular updates with new features.
- There are some games that are only available on iOS.
- (This is a small list, because I left BGL's arguments out).

If you'd like another great one, look here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/galaxy-s-iii-or-iphone-4s.33816/page-4#post-397799

It may look like I'm an Android fan if you look at my summary, but that's what I see when I look at this thread. For sure, I'm not a fanboy of anything. I have a Mac, a Windows PC, and probably soon a Linux one since Windows 8 is going to suck haaaard. I'm also not going to deny iOS has good and bad sides.

A quick word about the Security debate. I'm someone who isn't going to let weird apps at my phone. I'll always check and doublecheck. If it looks suspicious I won't install it. I have done 4 years with one windows 7 installation and it was still speedy, so no bull**** at my devices :)

Anyhow, tomorrow I'll be learning how Android is and we'll see what happens next :)

Hello guys,

In 10 hours, I'll be going to the store to buy a Samsung Galaxy S3 (The blue one, with the flip cover).

Had a friend who almost bought the blue one recently until he saw it next to the white one and realised how much better the white looks :P

Had a friend who almost bought the blue one recently until he saw it next to the white one and realised how much better the white looks :p
I prefer the blue, but I don't like white as it tends to show scratches and ends up looking dirty after a few months, no matter what material is used.

anyone have a galaxy note? I was looking at one of those...then I also saw that the tablets are being released...

interested in knowing a bit either way...

I will say this...half of the time when people lose their phone...the put it down go to do something and walk away and leave it...now I am not a fan of white phones nor would I buy one...but I will say no matter side you are on company wise..you have to admit it is a bunch harder to forget your bright white phone on the table at a restaurant.

Hi Vincent,
I may have given you the wrong impression. I was not 'voting' for the iPhone, merely saying that I had one that is at least 3 years old and am not having any battery issues out of the ordinary.
I've never used an Android, so I really can't judge.

Hope you get a lot of good use out of your new phone!

Allen

Had a friend who almost bought the blue one recently until he saw it next to the white one and realised how much better the white looks :p

I prefer the blue, but I don't like white as it tends to show scratches and ends up looking dirty after a few months, no matter what material is used.

Black version of Galaxy S3 coming out soon ;)

I'm tired of black and white phones :) On the black one you immediately see scratches. (I'm not saying you won't see them on blue though :P) and the white one just isn't the right option for a guy of 17 years old.

anyone have a galaxy note? I was looking at one of those...then I also saw that the tables are being released...

interested in knowing a bit either way...

I will say this...half of the time when people lose their phone...the put it down go to do something and walk away and leave it...now I am not a fan of white phones nor would I buy one...but I will say no matter side you are on company wise..you have to admit it is a bunch harder to forget your bright white phone on the table at a restaurant.

I haven't lost a phone yet. And I'm going to try to keep it that way. But I'm not going to buy a white phone for that :)
If there's a white tablecloth my blue one will be seen quicker btw ;)

Hi Vincent,
I may have given you the wrong impression. I was not 'voting' for the iPhone, merely saying that I had one that is at least 3 years old and am not having any battery issues out of the ordinary.
I've never used an Android, so I really can't judge.

Hope you get a lot of good use out of your new phone!

Allen

Hello Allen,

Don't worry, the list of users wast just to see the percentage of iPhone/Android users :) I'm making my choice on the arguments, not the users who use it ;)

And thank you, I will certainly!
- Vincent

SongPop... haha. I am addicted.

Tango for video calls.... Slices if you use Twitter.... ROM Manager if you are rooting your phone.

Top Bottom