FYI Microsoft Attack this evening

Seeing something similar myself on a few sites. I've blocked the AS with Cloudflare

1673898122501.webp

Could Microsoft be using Des Moines to do mail (hotmail, outlook.com etc.) amongst other things?

I think by blocking Microsoft data center I also stopped email going to Microsoft’s email addresses! They have piled up waiting to send. 🫣
I think the IP range for Microsoft's email (hotmail, outlook, etc.) is 147.47.0.0/16

1673906321498.png

It comes back with one of 104.47.XX.XX whether you say outlook.com, hotmail.com etc.

This means if you run CSF or another firewall you can block the rest I think:

Code:
168.61.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
104.208.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
104.43.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
52.176.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
52.173.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
52.165.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.122.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.113.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.122.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.86.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.83.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.78.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.77.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
40.69.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
23.101.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
23.100.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
23.99.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
20.241.0.0/16 # Microsoft Washington - do not delete
20.169.0.0/16 # Microsoft Washington - do not delete
20.29.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
13.89.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
13.86.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete
13.67.0.0/16 # Microsoft Des Moines - do not delete

Yes, there's going to be some that are unfairly blocked and there will be some that get past... but it's a tiny amount.

Last edited:
Set a strategy for ddos... I've had countless attacks. The latest ddos attacks were effective attacks. I have set a rule to ban the entry of the whole world when the attack comes from outside of Turkey. But this system has lost a lot of hits to the baby community. I ate ddos every day because...!

I'm beginning to think that this and this (https://xenforo.com/community/threa...isting-accounts-with-no-need-to-login.211713/) are connected.

Possibly scanning websites looking for older registered profiles which match compromised username/email and passwords from a data breach/dump several years ago (not XenForo).
The scans continue until they find a match and then use that member's profile to post spam.

Yes, I suspect so too.

Microsoft is well more than a search engine.
The prime issue here is that the attacks/scans are apparently coming from an MS Azure instance (think AWS E2).
And they won't do nothing to solve it.... this is not from today or yesterday, its a problem going since a lot of days....

And they won't do nothing to solve it.... this is not from today or yesterday, its a problem going since a lot of days....
Not really surprised.. you ever have to deal with them to get your domain whitelisted on their HotMail/Live/Outlook service?
Although I'm pretty sure when a whole swathe of their IP's start getting on the blocked lists, they'll decide to do something about it when the ones actually paying them money start complaining about lack of connectivity.

Friendly FYI… Im getting a lot of attacks from Taiwan and Singapore lately. I had to close to guest for a while until I had time to fix. Took about two days and Singapore is still trying. Started after a very long view of my community from a few China scans. China was particularly interested in my TOS page.🤷‍♂️ I’m attaching two source IPs for you to ban asap. I’m also getting some suspicious views from D.C. 🙄

Attachments

• IMG_1956.webp
    IMG_1956.webp
    5.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1955.webp
    IMG_1955.webp
    5.5 KB · Views: 41
Also Facebook sent 29 bots from one post mentioning my community. Not sure why they needed so many. 29! lol
This happens regularly if content on your site gets posted to FB, and then shared... for some reason they send their FB bots in full force. I've had upwards of 15 when I was checking shortly after an image got shared on a FB page then shared from there. I guess they want to see if they can find anything else to make some money from.
As for Singapore/Taiwan... I'm seeing a lot of "bot" type scans originating from those locations... and use CF to block the strings used in those probes. The majority of the ones I am finding blocked actually are originating in the U.S.

Top Bottom