Full-screen functionality for XenForo's texteditor

Grover

Hello,

I tend to write extensive postings and obviously when you are an admin you will find yourself doing this even more in your private Staff Forums (think of manuals, FAQ's and what else). As a passionate vB 3.8 owner there was always one of these things in that product that frustrated me (more then mildly ;)) and that was the fact that it did not offer us extensive posters/writers/bloggers/teachers a Full Screen option inside the build-in text editor :(.

Unfortunately, neither does XenForo. As I plan to use XenForo for 2 of my projects which both will have a member base of extensive posters (including myself), I truly hope that the developers can consider this to be included in a future release.

When you write extensive posts this is what happens in XenForo:

missing a full screen editor.webp

... making it a rather frustrating experience to construct large postings. When you have reached a certain length (like in the above screenshot) and you want to change the markup/layout of the text, you select the text you want to change, but then you have to use the browser's scroll bar (or your mouse wheel) to browse the entire browser-screen in the upwards direction to reach XenForo's Wysiwyg toolbar. Subsequently loosing the focus on the text you were working on. In my book, the latter is always a bad thing. It keeps being an annoying hassle of having to scroll up and down all the time, frustrating my workprocess and that of my teammembers and a large amount of my current and future members.

I am spending a heck of a lot of time inside XenForo's editor compared to my time inside Microsoft's Word or any other professional word processor. However, it is a pure joy to use MS Word or any other dedicated editor for that matter, because it gives me a toolbar that is always visible and accesible locked at the top of my screen! How else are we able to construct and edit our documents in an efficient and user friendly manner?

I would like to propose such a Full-screen option for XenForo's wysiwyg editor, where the toolbar is fixed to the top. It will make my online life so much more pleasurable.

More benefits to be found here: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ity-for-xenforos-texteditor.9948/#post-136684

Please do [like] this first posting if you think it is a good feature suggestion for XenForo

Upvote 16
It keeps being an annoying hassle of having to scroll up and down all the time, frustrating my workprocess and that of my teammembers and a large amount of my current and future members.
(quoting myself)

Gosh... o_O. How one can exaggerate strongly to try to put weight to ones point. Sigh. /self-reflecting modus off.

But I take this chance to reflect on something else as well.

I keep repeating myself /keep the self-reflecting modus on I would say ;-) ... but I can not express enough how fantastic the new XF2 UI is. There are so many obvious improvements on an already excellent start with XF1.

Again, another one of the several pet peeves I had with XF1's UI is solved by XF2's outstanding new style:

When you are using the Quick Reply Editor on XenForo, you can make use of the full width of your screen. Strangely enough, when you go to the more Advanced 'More Options' Reply Editor, you can not make use of the full width of your screen anymore. The Quick editor is called quick for a reason, but surely when I want to use the Advanced Editor and I am not there for a quicky. I am there to take good care of my postings/articles... I am spending quality time there... and a full screen environment would be very welcome to support me in that!

In XF1 we only had a full-width editor to our disposal when we were in the Quick Reply. Strangely enough not when we pressed [More Options] on that QR or even not when constructing a [Post New Thread] (that was the most frustrating one to me). See:

create new thread XF1.webp

But XF2 gives us what makes more sense/what we missed before, a full-width editor when we [Post Thread]:

create new thread XF2.webp

This much needed (imo) improvement almost totally eliminates the wish to have a Full Screen toggle on the editor! :cool: Just perfect, now we have a full-width editor where it should be: when constructing a new post. And... when editing a post! Remember how XF1 handled editing postings? Here:

edit post XF1.webp

Although a nice idea in itself such a popup, it was not working that well in practice. It was too restrictive. Also... when you clicked on [More Options] inside that popup.... you were brought to a screen (screenshot 1) that was almost the same restrictive in width.
Now... with XF2 everything is done in place ... no more popups, no more [More Options].... just always the same editor. And (more or less) Full-width.

Excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom