From Vbulletin 4 to XenForo

Andrea Marucci

Hello and compliments for the software. Very good one and innovative.

I would like to go from VB4 to XF but I've obviously, a few questions

1 - Since here there's not a Blog what happens to all the blog entries? Do you plan to have a blog in XF?
2 - I've some mod installed but nothing vital. One of them is vital though, and it's the calendar. We use tha calendar to fix some events and I've installed a mod so that the users can subscribe to these events. This mod is, as said, vital, so I would need the calendar and the possibility for the members to subscribe.

Can you tell me something about these issues?

There's a help manual on importing here: http://xenforo.com/help/importing/

Here's the 4.x import add-on thread: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/vbulletin-4-importer.5726/
* Import of Social Groups, Blogs & Articles (including attachments) to a set of forums viewable by Staff only.

There is no confirmation either way as to whether a blog will or won't be in the core, there is an add-on blog available though.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/ln-blog.12701/

There is also an events add-on.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xenatendo-events.8670/

User upgrades are included in the core: http://xenforo.com/help/user-upgrades/

Thanks Brogan. Last question is if you, or someone on your behalf, will provide a service for migrating a forum from VB4 to XF. Obviously for a fee and, just in case, how much is that fee...

I'm seriously thinking about leaving VB4 and XenForo is one of the best forum script available out there. The only problem is that I've many doubt about that migration since I don't know XF and I don't know what issue can arise doing such a migration. If you can provide a migration service, this can surely be what I need to decide.

I went from vb4 to XF and used Pauls migration script (I could link to it but you wont be able to see it until you are a registered owner of XF) to migrate the forum. Was very easy! Plus- the blogs got imported to an invisible forum. There's a script being created to import those back into blogs (LN Blogs).

It's pretty easy...but if you absolutely do not want to do it, there's many many members on here advertising their installation/migration services from between $15-$50.

unfortunately I've no time now to follow such a migration so I prefer to outsource that one to an expert member or a XF crew that can do this for me. Can you tell me where can I find such services? (supposed that XF staff cannot do it)

Thanks Dodgeboard. Another question about XF and smartphones. I use Tapatalk to see the forum on some smartphones. How's XenForo about mobile?

There are several members that offer migration services. You can also get migration services on xenfans.com. Tapatalk is also available for Xenforo.

Once you buy the software, you will be able to see all the forums and then hire an installer for migration.

Here's Tapatalk for XF:

photo-36-png.11785

What I really need is someone that know well VB and XF and, seeing my actual forum, can tell me what I'll lose in the migration. There are some things I don't rely on but others I need badly and I cannot afford to loose in the migration. I can trust you that the migration is simple but with 600 or more users, some of them paying ones, I cannot afford to make mistakes...

What I really need is someone that know well VB and XF and, seeing my actual forum, can tell me what I'll lose in the migration. There are some things I don't rely on but others I need badly and I cannot afford to loose in the migration. I can trust you that the migration is simple but with 600 or more users, some of them paying ones, I cannot afford to make mistakes...
Then xenfans is the way to go.

Thanks. I'll ask Xenfans. One friend that know VB and XF told me tht it's better to wait for a, say, 1.5 release of XF since now VB has too many features that XF doesn't have. My actual board is not heavy modded but I don't want to loose some important data.

Thanks. I'll ask Xenfans. One friend that know VB and XF told me tht it's better to wait for a, say, 1.5 release of XF since now VB has too many features that XF doesn't have. My actual board is not heavy modded but I don't want to loose some important data.
While that may be true, and I am not so sure it is...as many features VB has either don't work well or are mods (the cms comes to mind, and yes I came from vb myself), the mods that VB has don't always play well with each other. The mods here however, are many and climbing fast and all play well with each other.

Floris from XenFans has done a test import and everything gone well except for the attachments that was not correctly imported since they does not appear inline in the post but as thumbs attached to the post. Also if you click on the attach XF tell you that the image cannot be found. I've posted a request to Paul and I'm waiting for his reply.

Note that in my board all the attach and avatars are kept in the file system and not in the DB; maybe to make the import script work well it's necessary to have attachments and avatars kept in the DB in the original forum...

Anyone has some ideas?

Top Bottom