From Eclipse to PHPStorm

Snog

I've been using Eclipse for a while now and have liked it. But, the most recent update really messed with my system and I decided to check out PHPStorm.

Compared to Eclipse, it's interface is mind blowing! The amount of information it provides while typing code (especially when using an XF function) is far superior to Eclipse.

I especially like the 'Inspect Code' that's built in. It is also far superior to the one in Eclipse. (IE: unused includes were caught several times with PHPStorm)

While I hate paying for software (I'm a linux nut) I purchased a license after a day of using it.

The only thing I don't like is the way I have to trick it into allowing a network connection for a project. But, I had to do that with Eclipse too. If I were working off of a server 100 miles away, I could understand why they both don't like network connections. But when you're local, there's really not much of a loss.

Reactions: LPH
Glad you've left the stone age. :)

I'd highly recommend digging through the preferences and taking the time to tweak things. It'll save you a lot of time in the long run. A debugger (Xdebug, Zend Debugger, etc) can help a ton too.

I've been using visual Studio code. Brilliant for free.

Just looked at PHPstorm and found it's free its for education and if you have a student union card (which i do)

Worth the jump?

I've been using visual Studio code. Brilliant for free.

Just looked at PHPstorm and found it's free its for education and if you have a student union card (which i do)

Worth the jump?
I wish I could answer that. I'm not familiar with Visual Studio Code.

Quite a while ago I went from using a straight text editor to Eclipse which was like changing from night to day. The change from Eclipse to PHPStorm has been like changing from dawn to high noon sun. :)

I would suggest downloading the 30 day demo of PHPStorm and trying it for yourself.

Isn't visual studio code (php) slow for you? It is very nice for java/typescript, but the php extensions slowed visual studio code down a lot.[/php]

Slow? Not had an issue speed wise although not sure I've set it up 100% correct as it doesn't do a great job at hinting whilst typing.
Debugging works a treat though.

Last edited:
Glad you've left the stone age. :)

I'd highly recommend digging through the preferences and taking the time to tweak things. It'll save you a lot of time in the long run. A debugger (Xdebug, Zend Debugger, etc) can help a ton too.

FWIW xdebug doesn't play too nice with XF2 in my experience. It was causing css.php to take ~ 1 second on every pageload, ended up having to disable it (which kinda sucks because it has so many really nice tools). But, this was during the Developer Previews, so maybe something has changed since then

FWIW xdebug doesn't play too nice with XF2 in my experience. It was causing css.php to take ~ 1 second on every pageload, ended up having to disable it (which kinda sucks because it has so many really nice tools). But, this was during the Developer Previews, so maybe something has changed since then
In dev mode, XF2.0 does per css template caching so this isn't as horribly painful as it used to be.

Last edited:
In dev mode, XF2 does per template caching so this isn't as horribly painful as it used to be.

I haven't tested it on xf2 since the dev previews, but before it was making xf2 painfully slow. I've never had issues with it in xf1, however

Top Bottom