1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Fresh install v1.2.2 - Server Error (after config accepted)

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by MontyDog, Oct 26, 2013.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog Member

Hello,

I've installed XenForo on a test server successfully, but today was attempting a fresh, clean, install of XenForo v1.2.2 on the real server, with a brand new, empty, database - and after the config.php settings have been accepted, the installation fails with a 'Server Error' reported:
    xef_install_failure1.jpg

I've tried dropping all the tables and re-starting and various other things (different user/password etc.)
    all to no avail.

Any help to overcome this would be much appreciated, please.

Here are the server config details, in case that is important:
    Screen Shot 2013-10-26 at 14.11.51.png
    Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What is the actual error?
    Have you checked the log on the server?

I have removed the attachment - it's not a good idea to give out user names and passwords to your server.

imno007, wickedstangs and HWS like this.
  3. MontyDog

MontyDog Member

You say 'the log' as if there is but one log file, are we talking about the Apache web server log or is there a XenForo log file I've yet to find?

By the way, thanks for removing the inadvertent password - grabbed the wrong screen shot. Thanks anyway :)

ETA:
    Apache log is clean (no errors for the installation time, previous error was grumbling about missing fav icon from the old forum s/w [vB installed to allow import into XenForo - if I can get XF to work])

4. MontyDog

MontyDog Member

OK, as above the Apache log has no errors for the (attempted but failed) XenForo installation(s).

A search of the XenForo manual uncovers no mentions I can find of a log file - am I missing the point of your question?

The only error I can see is the one in the screen grab, ie:

Where else should I look for the elusive error information, please?

I'm stuck (and feeling frustrated with XenForo!)

5. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Looks for the PHP error log - it might be called 'error_log' or something else depending on server configuration.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog Member

My fellow Admin did some digging - we have the (mis-)fortune to be using a server with cPanel/WHM and this problem is a 'known issue with EasyApache' apparently. See these links for more details:

http://forums.cpanel.net/f442/post-upgrade-apache-2-4-php-problems-339242.html

http://forums.cpanel.net/f442/case-58625-pcre-problems-347552.html#post1450911

By the way, the PHP error_log didn't appear to have anything related to the XenForo problem (it has other issues, though, so we'll get those sorted).

Thanks to everyone here who tried to help - appreciated, even if it rather looks like we are in a stale mate for now, at least we know what the problem is due to in XenForo - maybe XF can check the PCRE UTF-8 support capability to help those caught out in future, maybe?

Mike likes this.