XF 1.3 Fresh install keeping database and users

AUSFIFA

Hi Guys

Just a question guys, in theory will this work.

I want to start with a fresh install of xenforo 1.3 but I don't want to lose my current user base, threads, posts, avatars etc... How would you go about starting a fresh install on a new host, so the database name will change for sure, along with that, working on the aesthetics styling of the forum to make it just right? would you then be able to just go to the config.php and then switch the name of the database and password and all users will then be imported. Would this work and what steps would you take so I don't stuff it up?

p.s. I want to remove all addons and route changes etc because I'm using anew front end, not xenporta.

Thanks Guys

There is no need to do a fresh install.

Simply uninstall any add-ons you no longer wish to use and remove any associated files from the server.

Thanks Brogan for the reply but the issue is, Ive uploaded random files in directories all over the place. This has caused a mess and I'm trying to keep things as light as possible.

Is there complications to just starting a fresh install, using a temp database and username then switching the database name and config.php to match?

Then obviously I would need to find the avatar directory and copy that over?

Just made a mess of my current install because of filezilla brain explosion :(

p.s. also I would like to test a new style while not interrupting the site.

It's still not an issue.

Uninstall the add-ons and delete any superfluous files from the server.
Unzip the files on your computer to compare the structure.

Worst case scenario, delete everything except /data and /internal_data and upload a fresh upgrade .zip.
Then restore config.php and the install lock file.

Doing a fresh install is simply not required to get back to a base build.

It's still not an issue.

Unzip the files on your computer to compare the structure.

Worst case scenario, delete everything except /data and /internal_data and upload a fresh upgrade .zip.
Then restore config.php and the install lock file.

Doing a fresh install is simply not required to get back to a base build.

Thanks Brogan, I will give it a go :)

BTW, what is the lock file?

There is no need to do a fresh install.
Simply uninstall any add-ons you no longer wish to use and remove any associated files from the server.
It's still not an issue.
[...]
Hello Brogan, remove the associated files from the server is highly recommended?
I've been testing with many addons and I have a little mess now because I forgot delete these folders from the server from the beginning.
I was thinking about make a clean installation, but now after read your replies, I've decided just try organise the mess.
Now I'm cleaning and I was wondering if deleting that files will increase the performance etc?
Thanks!

Top Bottom