Frequency of updates?

Amphicar770

How frequently can one expect to see new features being introduced in xenforo. I note a growing list of desired items. Are these features made available as completed or bundled into release candidates? As one who desperately want to migrate from vb but can not do so before things like full text message notifications are available, I am curious to know how frequently to check for enhancements?

Leading up to gold bug fixes, stability fixes refinement in existing features is what you will see ensuring a solid foundation. After gold Kier has mentioned numerous times that they will start on building new features into xenforo. It's just best if you visit regularly and check to see what's fixed, what's new etc.

As Shelley said, until the stable release you really shouldn't be expecting any new features. It's pretty much feature-locked except for minor features (like the IP discourager that was added into RC1). Feel free to suggest though, they're all looked at and evaluated (by the community if not by the staff).

One upon a time I purchased a WowBB license, partly because it sounded like they had big plans to make it a really feature rich platform. I took a chance and lost. 2-3 years later it remained largely unchanged with minimal enhancements. I think their intentions were good, they simply lacked the resources and critical mass.

I am likely going to buy a xenforo license if only to support the cause It will be pretty much useless to me until some additional functionality is introduced. I can only hope the same does not happen here as happened to wowbb.

One upon a time I purchased a WowBB license, partly because it sounded like they had big plans to make it a really feature rich platform. I took a chance and lost. 2-3 years later it remained largely unchanged with minimal enhancements. I think their intentions were good, they simply lacked the resources and critical mass.

I am likely going to buy a xenforo license if only to support the cause It will be pretty much useless to me until some additional functionality is introduced. I can only hope the same does not happen here as happened to wowbb.

I think it's very safe to say xenforo won't go in the way of what wowbb had/did. TBH, I don't follow wowbb so I can't really judge on they're development path but the community here have just as much ambition to watch this project grow just as much as the devs who built and gave us this wonderful product.

If there's one thing you can expect, expect to be surprised and thus far we have and I can't see that changing for the long term. IMO, Purchasing this product will be a very sound investment. The best (as stated many times) is yet to come for this product. :)

Well, I just purchased a license.
smile.png
I hope I get to actually use it soon.

While ideally we will one day see full email integration (post messages via email), I can not migrate until minimally message alerts can contain full text of messages.

Ok. Ahem. Totally embarrassed to say this, but when I first started our site (nearly 6 years ago), it was on WowBB.
redface.png
(Only because there was a money-back guarantee, and they set the whole thing up and I didn't have to do a thing.)
Please don't compare XF to WowBB in any way. They're not even from the same planet.

Congrats on the license and welcome aboard!

Susan

I agree that WowBB was, um, less than great. No comparison between the products, just hope its progress does not meet the same fate as it, or that the company does not take on the same customer indifference that VB has exhibited. I remain cautiously optimistic.

what do you mean with this?

Rather than an email saying,
"Joe has replied to your post, click here to view it" ....

Enable the ability to have that same email say,
"Joe has replied to your post. He said,
"This new Xenforo system is great .... blah, blah, blah"​
Click here to reply or to view the post in the forum.

Especially on a busy thread, I do not want to have to link back to the board everytime someone says "LOL" Yes, driving traffic is nice but the overall user experience is even more important. Like most things, the admin should have the ability to config to his/her preference.

Mike

Rather than an email saying,
"Joe has replied to your post, click here to view it" ....

Enable the ability to have that same email say,
"Joe has replied to your post. He said,
"This new Xenforo system is great .... blah, blah, blah"​

Click here to reply or to view the post in the forum.

Especially on a busy thread, I do not want to have to link back to the board everytime someone says "LOL" Yes, driving traffic is nice but the overall user experience is even more important. Like most things, the admin should have the ability to config to his/her preference.

Mike
this also makes each email unique and cuts down on "spam" issues because every email you send out (hundreds or 1000s of times a day) say the exact same thing

I am hoping to see some more Have you Seen...? posts made by Kier
I think the last one was back in November, and I was really enjoying checking out what is new in this product from that section.

I'd imagine that there would be one semi-major release (1.x) per year. I'm sure Kier and Mike and program amazing stuff and release it faster than that with XenForo, but I can't see customers/developers trying to keep up with frequent releases like that.

The absence of the full message text in email notifications was actually a conscious decision on our part, as many forum owners would much prefer that their visitors visit their site for updates in order to generate ad revenue and see announcements etc., which are not possible if they keep up-to-date by email alone.

That said, I suppose it's something we could put in very trivially and have it controlled with an option.

Kier,

I think you will find the affiliate cpm/cpc model will be revealed to xen owners to be outdated (it has been for some time), but most small forum owners do not know it.

Many of the largest forums have full text in private messages and FIRST RESPONSE.

In a good conversation, there is more than one response. A person needs to go back to the site to see the others

If a forum can ONLY monetize when a person comes to views a page (for cpm/cpc) they are missing where all the real money is. About a dozen ways actually.

I vote for the feature as an option.

The absence of the full message text in email notifications was actually a conscious decision on our part, as many forum owners would much prefer that their visitors visit their site for updates in order to generate ad revenue and see announcements etc., which are not possible if they keep up-to-date by email alone.

That said, I suppose it's something we could put in very trivially and have it controlled with an option.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the reasoning but do keep in mind that many sites are built around not for profit ventures so the ad revenue is really a secondary consideration. Again, making the setting configurable is key to serving multiple forum types.

In the ideal world i auppose you could configure it multiple ways including
- link only
- full message text
- partial text (say first 4 lines)
- daily digest of all the days messages.

Best of luck with the product. I have bought the license already and look forward to being able to make the switch, hopefully soon.

Top Bottom