free wildcard certs now that zerossl isnt free

🔥Iggy🔥

hello,
ive just noticed these changes with zerossl after a recent cert expired on me...

-only allowed 3 free 90 day certs now
-no free wildcards allowed
-must make acct to issue cert

seems the company has been bought out by a more profit motivated one.....now im wondering where to get free wildcard certs...

how do you all generate your wildcard certs?

thank you

Can't you use Let's Encrypt?

Can't you use Let's Encrrypt?

i didnt try yet....their step 1 is to install certbot software to the server...which im looking into, but curious all what options there are atm...

also btw, we use arch linux so no automated panel options...

I personally haven't gone through the process of creating a certificate with them but they do seem to be quite popular and have issued a massive amount of certificates to some very well known sites.

We actually use Let's Encrypt on the XF.com demo:

1595636105091.webp

A wildcard certificate for a potentially infinite number of subdomains 100% free. Not bad. The SSL certificates aren't valid for more than 4 months at a time (at least that's true of our wildcard ones) but they automatically renew via certbot. There's quite a bit of setup involved but there's plenty of help and various guides online to help. Worth persevering with.

Let's Encrypt has pretty much become the standard across the industry now. I've been using it for years on my servers - all of my public facing websites use LE certs.

There's plenty of documentation out there for how to use it on various platforms.

Top Bottom