XF 2.2 Free Styles

Ricsca

Are there any free styles other than the default one?
If I search for them on Google, they open me to sites that tell me to download nulled themes...
Thanks

No, you still don't understand... I consider myself an expert user (I've been using cms for more than 20 years) and I'm saying that I had a little trouble downloading free themes for xf and also setting it up.
I side with most of those approaching xf who are less experienced than me and this discourages people from using xf.
It is already absurd that xf which is paid, is only a free theme.
The few free themes that are found should be highlighted by xf and instead it is difficult to find and download them.
Because it is xf that must have an interest in more and more admins buying and using their script.

I'm saying that I had a little trouble downloading free themes for xf and also setting it up.
Honestly.. if you had issues with downloading free themes directly from the RM... I have to wonder at your experience level.
As for installing them.. again, there is ample documentation available on THIS site that shows you how to do that.
If the style requires child styles, then that is normally either disclosed in their "blurb" or in the discussion area that is associated with the items in the RM.

The few free themes that are found should be highlighted by xf and instead it is difficult to find and download them
Once more... pretty sure that the FILTERS option is easily found... and most everyone that has been dealing with computers and software for any amount of time know what a filter is.
In fact, in your initial post, you ADMIT you were using GOOGLE to search for free themes... and NOT here using the Resource Manager. WHY would you expect XF to be able to force outside resources to comport to some standard you think that they should?
Did it ever dawn on you to actually look in the XF site Resource Manager for 2.x styles and then look for the ones that are clearly shown to be free?

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 5.27.32 AM.png

Pretty sure the last time I checked, the WP add-on function ONLY showed you add-ons available through them... and it does NOT have the ability to filter based upon paid/free.

Also, generally the "Buy for $XX.YY option in the RM does the SAME thing as the Download Now option does... sending you to an outside 3rd party site in (I think) every instance (I didn't check every one).

Last edited:
Honestly.. if you had issues with downloading free themes directly from the RM... I have to wonder at your experience level.
As for installing them.. again, there is ample documentation available on THIS site that shows you how to do that.
If the style requires child styles, then that is normally either disclosed in their "blurb" or in the discussion area that is associated with the items in the RM.

Once more... pretty sure that the FILTERS option is easily found... and most everyone that has been dealing with computers and software for any amount of time know what a filter is.
In fact, in your initial post, you ADMIT you were using GOOGLE to search for free themes... and NOT here using the Resource Manager. WHY would you expect XF to be able to force outside resources to comport to some standard you think that they should?
Did it ever dawn on you to actually look in the XF site Resource Manager for 2.x styles and then look for the ones that are clearly shown to be free?
If I'm not mistaken in another forum you said you were over 60 years old. I'm 39 but there are also 20 year olds.
These are generations that have significantly changed the way we use the internet.
For example, forums are hardly used by people under 40 because people in their 30s grew up with facebook and instagram. For example, at 39, if I have to look for someone, I look for them on Facebook, my 25-year-old employee looks for them on Instagram because kids use Instagram and not Facebook.
You "grew up" with DOS, I "grew up" with Windows so things that are obvious to you, aren't obvious to me.
The free filter isn't visible at all when the most prominent button should be. I looked at the themes page everywhere and it never occurred to me that I should click on filters.
For example ipb (which has another 10,000 problems) on the Download page lets you download only and exclusively and then the programmer advertises himself in the diescription but at least he has the same guidelines for everyone and this does not generate confusion.

The free filter isn't visible at all when the most prominent button should be. I looked at the themes page everywhere and it never occurred to me that I should click on filters.
Once more, it can't get much more easily found (especially for anyone familiar with a forum) than this. It's not a button, it's a node function... just like the ones listed at the top of forum nodes.

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 5.36.59 AM.webp

I guess they could do something like this for those that can't take the time to actually look at a screen. :sneaky:

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 5.37.56 AM.webp

Honestly.. it's listed right at the top of block the listing of all the resources.

Personally I'd like to see them do something like this... would make it MUCH easier

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 5.41.23 AM.webp

Simply click on the prefix and get the ones you want.

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 5.42.13 AM.webp

Why they haven't is something they would have to explain.. but the function is there to make it even more friendly.

Exactly... as you can see in the second screen the free components are highlighted.
Another thing you should do is highlight the page turn because we "old" forum fans know you can scroll pages. Those who are not used to using a forum (ie 99% of the population that goes on the internet) do not pay attention to the small page change buttons at the bottom of the page.
These are all little things that really aren't small and shouldn't be underestimated.

using a forum (ie 99% of the population that goes on the internet) do not pay attention to the small page change buttons at the bottom of the page.
Generally one isn't interested into going to the next page until they've fully viewed the current page. And if the node is one that one has already viewed, it will take you to the first when clicked upon, or the first new post if unread are present (personally I think it should take you to the last post if all are read already, but that's just me).

Also, generally those page buttons (by default) are viewable also at the very TOP of the page in addition to the bottom.

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 6.05.09 AM.png

Because someone is simply to lazy to actually view the page presented isn't a script issue... it's simply yet more more point of proof of the laziness of current society.

Exactly... as you can see in the second screen the free components are highlighted
As I explained.. this is not a default process.. the dark background examples I provided use the Prefix capability of the Resource Manager and was something I specifically set up on my site. That feature is NOT in use here, utilizing instead another process, possibly a Resource Field instead of a Prefix. I specifically used the Prefixes because of the ability of XF to filter when any listed Prefix is clicked upon.

It's the lazy people who use facebook by the millions and who earn them billions.
You have to realize.. a forum isn't going to BE FaceBook, YouTube, Instagram or such... one of the VERY basic reasons being that FaceBook and those others have a Dedicated cellular app that they provide. Their browser interface is not THAT much different than a forum, and in some cases is even MORE difficult to use.
A "basic forum app" that might work for you will most likely NOT work for me since I probably utilize quite a few more add-ons for XF than you do. Those other social media sites have a FIXED interface that they deal with.

When Facebook started it was a site for a university... Then it went on and evolved according to the needs of users and the web.
The forums have been stopped for more than 10 years...

When Facebook started it was a site for a university... Then it went on and evolved according to the needs of users and the web.
The forums have been stopped for more than 10 years...
You keep spouting the "forums have been stopped for more than 10 years" mantra in multiple areas. No, they haven't been "stopped" for 10 years. In fact, IPS is doing several new interesting, one of the main ones being Live Topics. XenForo has been seriously slacking on features for the last 2 years... but last time I checked, 2 years was NOT 10 years.

And please, show me ANY of those social media sites that offer this breadth of options in one place.

Screen Shot 2023-04-22 at 6.22.01 AM.png

This was exactly what I was talking about when referencing a dedicated application.... you see, FB, Twitter and such don't have to deal with the options that can be tacked onto a forum. They are a fixated platform and can offer a dedicated application since they ONLY have to deal with one set of options they provide.

Top Bottom