XF 2.2 Free Styles

Ricsca

Are there any free styles other than the default one?
If I search for them on Google, they open me to sites that tell me to download nulled themes...
Thanks

These themes are given to me as free... can you tell me where to download them? I only see that they refer to paid links...

Yes, I understand now. I'm new to xf (I've been using ipb for a long time) and I didn't remember how unintuitive xf admin is (like vb was)
Pretty easy to for most to understand that filters are offered for paid/free add-ons. Been that way in the RM for as long as I've been around, so it's not a "new thang". The fact that many to to lazy to utilize those functions doesn't mean that it's "unintuitive".

First of all, don't think that people know everything. Having never downloaded components for xf I had no idea where the filters were. Now that I know it is very simple but.
Second point I expected to find a download button for the components instead everyone does as they like, who puts it, who doesn't and you have to look in the description how to do it etc.
Since there is no general rule for everyone, it is even more difficult to understand who it is for at the beginning.

Honestly.. not exactly THAT hard to find.

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 5.01.29 AM.png

Last time I checked, the phrase filters were pretty much the same amongst most languages even when translated.

The one complaint I DO have is that it appears that an advanced search doesn't let you search based upon free/paid though from the RM index. That IS a major weakness.

Last edited:
Tell me if you can figure out how to download this theme

Tell me if you can figure out how to download this theme

Took about 15 seconds.
Click on the Go to Download button which takes you to a post in a Turkish forum. Scroll down to bottom of first message talking about it and click on the attachment to download it. Of course, you DO have to be a member of their site to download it.... which is a VERY frequent occurrence when addon/style submitters host their product off the XF site.

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 4.40.06 PM.png

try registering on their forum and see if you can download… it says to me that I don't have the permissions. However I found a better theme.
Not an XF issue... that is a remote site developer issue.
If the styles have a Download button, you simply download them direct from here. If they have the Go to download button, you are going off-site and then have to deal with whatever hoops that site owner wants you to jump through.... and there is usually a REASON they want you to have to go to their site, especially if it's a free add-on. I see this more often with paid add-ons because the developer usually has a store created and can provide better support for the add-on at their site.

it must be assumed that those who use a forum (users and customers) do not know things.
An admin must make things as simple as possible for his users.
The forum script owner should make things as easy as possible for the admins who will buy the script from him.
If things are complicated, few users will write to the forum and few admins will buy the forum scripts.
I remember 20 years ago when there was the vbulletin bum, on vbulletin.org themes, mods, etc. came out every day. to 100% customize your forum in a super simple way.
Today, in addition to almost nothing new being released, that little is also complicated and for fairly experienced admins.
This is definitely not an incentive to make the forums work.

it must be assumed that those who use a forum (users and customers) do not know things.
A user isn't going to be downloading styles for a site, an admin is. And one would assume an admin would be familiar enough to be able to tell when something is hosted on a remote site (when you click on the link and it takes you elsewhere) and when it's available locally.
For an admin, there is a basic level of knowledge that is expected. If you don't have that basic level of knowledge, don't expect the script developers to hold your hand for you. Email is a classic case... it's now gotten to the point simply using PHP to send mail results in massive failure rates (if it even goes out at all), so you need to use outside resources to send reliable email. I guess it's the script developers "duty" to hold the admins hand in setting all the various aspects of reliable email delivery up also?

The forum script owner should make things as easy as possible for the admins who will buy the script from him.
Well, for the ones I use it IS real easy. You get referred to their site.... you register for an account. You then go into their store and purchase the add-on/style you want and once the payment is successfully processed you download it.

I remember 20 years ago when there was the vbulletin bum, on vbulletin.org themes, mods, etc. came out every day. to 100% customize your forum in a super simple way.
I get a feeling one of your main complaints is that most is not free... guess what, we are in a different age now. Things cost money because it takes time to develop and maintain them. The number of "free coders" in the market have dropped, and one of the reasons is that they got burnt out because abusive users of those FREE add-ons became so demanding.
There is a secret for FREE stuff... be happy with WHAT THEY GIVE YOU. Don't expect any more and especially don't demand more. I see that VERY frequently with todays admins.

You're saying things I've never said and you made it all up.
I never said I want free stuff.
I said that since one knows how to do one thing, it doesn't mean that others must know how to do it.
I'm a wp expert, I've been using it practically since it was born and you make us a super personalized site in half a day and my sites have millions of visits.
Just open any facebook support group for wp (or even the official forum which basically receives less posts... just to make you understand that users have moved to the forums) and you will read questions that are super trivial for me but for others I'm not.
The wp admins don't say "those who want to use wp must learn to get by on their own" but rather, they continuously make guides and develop the cms in such a way as to be increasingly easier to use for the less experienced. Because a wp admin can be good at writing content but not good at designing and developing his site but many admins are not good at developing their site, there are millions of sites online and success for wp.
Joomla is practically dead compared to wp just because joomla was complicated to use (especially with the imports for the main releases that could not be done with a simple update) unlike wp.
So it is essential for a cms admin to also structure the free themes and mods department in such a way that they are very simple to download for the less experienced.

I'm a wp expert, I've been using it practically since it was born and you make us a super personalized site in half a day and my sites have millions of visits.
Then you should be fully aware of what it takes to obtain add-ons/styles from OUTSIDE the WP environment.
The wp admins don't say "those who want to use wp must learn to get by on their own" but rather, they continuously make guides and develop the cms in such a way as to be increasingly easier to use for the less experienced.
And there are PLENTY of guides and such for XF... in fact, many of them are actually hosted here and simply take some time to search for and find. They aren't presented to one on a silver platter.

Because a wp admin can be good at writing content but not good at designing and developing his site but many admins are not good at developing their site, there are millions of sites online and success for wp.
Yep, I'll agree... ANYONE can spin up a WP site (even though it remains poorly coded for performance and function). In fact, one only has to go to the WP website and one can create their own free blog.
Now, what exactly does that have to do in comparison to the major (free and paid) forum scripts? I ALSO run a WP site, so I know it's warts and it's benefits.

So it is essential for a cms admin to also structure the free themes and mods department in such a way that they are very simple to download for the less experienced.
Once more.. the LOCALLY hosted free add-ons and styles are VERY easy to obtain.. you simply click on the Download button, choose where you want to save them... and walla, they miraculously appear on that media.
Now, if you have to go to a remote site, it is NO different that going to a remote site for a WP add-on (and I've used SEVERAL of them that required that process) in that you have to register for access, then jump through whatever hoops they remote site requires and then maybe you can download it.
Now, once more, XF doesn't have ANYTHING to do with what a remotely hosted resource provider does on the site they grant access to the resource to.
Could/Should those free resources be hosted locally on XF? Yep, for many they can... but guess what, part of that very FREE access is the requirement by those developers to give them something (many times a registration and your associated data that they may resell to recoup some funds). You wanna play, you gotta pay. Either in monies or information.

I give up on explaining to you, you don't want to understand...
no, I DO pretty much understand. You apparently have issues with the difference between locally hosted resources and resources hosted on third party sites linked to in the RM and you apparently expect those third party resources to be as easy to get to as those locally hosted. I simply think you believe that ALL resources should be handed out on a silver platter and easy to get to.
Guess what... real world no longer works that way.
Many of those developers require you to register on their site OUTSIDE of XF to obtain those FREE resources... and whether it's to increase their user count (with thoughts of eventual sale to an outside party) or to gather data to resell to others is something you have to deal with when going to an outside resource. If that resource is THAT important to you, then you will jump through the hoops to get that resource.
XF is NOT going to tell developers that they HAVE to host their resources here and make them directly available.... in fact, in many cases, that would NEVER work, especially with the way the RM currently works.

As I have stated, EVERY paid resource I use is VERY easy to get to, even having to go through a 3rd party site and linked to in the RM. It's those "free" ones you have to watch, as FREE does not always mean free, especially when they have you going to an outside site to obtain them when they could VERY easily upload the majority of them directly.
There are SEVERAL fantastic developers who offer free add-ons... and they offer them DIRECTLY via the RM here on XF, AND they keep them regularly updated. Do you realistically expect XF to hold developers that link to their 3rd party site to the same expectation?

Last edited:
Top Bottom