free developer licences ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshstew

Might get shot down for this one - but are you considering offering free developer licences to enable users to develop mods / themes?

You could encrypt a number of key files with either IonCube or ZendGuard to stop it being used on a live system and this would still allow developers the full benefits of creating new shiny things for the communty.

Might get shot down for this one - but are you considering offering free developer licences to enable users to develop mods / themes?

You could encrypt a number of key files with either IonCube or ZendGuard to stop it being used on a live system and this would still allow developers the full benefits of creating new shiny things for the communty.

I kind of support this; But yes they need to make sure it can't be used live.

I personally think all serious developers should own a license. After all even if you are a skinner, you would need some sort of a public board to display the demo.

The problem there is all the developers who intend to sell premium themes and mods.
Developers would be able to download the product for free, produce their themes or modifications and release them at whatever price they like with XenForo getting absolutely nothing back in return.

I'm pretty sure the majority of develops will have a live support forum, and live examples of their products on their websites... so a license will be inevitable eventually.
Just buy an initial license for your public site and then get developing locally.

and also for the translations ... :)

Every serious developer is going to buy a license, I dont see the point in this.

Also there's a difference between a developer and somebody who thinks that he is a developer. Have a look at vborg and check the addons on there; most of the stuff is filled with security leaks and nobody cares, the quality is getting pulled down by those who think that they are developers but are not. So who will be the judge for this?

As soon as xenForo is getting sold Im going to buy a license. Then Ill check the system and have a look at the core. Afterwards Im going to code an addon for xF which I plan to do. And thats the way how it works, social engineerings dont work.

Every serious developer is going to buy a license, I dont see the point in this.

Also there's a difference between a developer and somebody who thinks that he is a developer. Have a look at vborg and check the addons on there; most of the stuff is filled with security leaks and nobody cares, the quality is getting pulled down by those who think that they are developers but are not. So who will be the judge for this?

As soon as xenForo is getting sold Im going to buy a license. Then Ill check the system and have a look at the core. Afterwards Im going to code an addon for xF which I plan to do. And thats the way how it works, social engineerings dont work.

I could not agree more. Excellent post Vossi.

Why? Buy the english version, do the translation, use the translation, support the community and the company with it. Much better.

you don't know how many italian don't speak/write any english word ... so if they see that this software will be sold only in english, then it's easy that they'll go with a vB or something like that ...

you don't know how many italian don't speak/write any english word ... so if they see that this software will be sold only in english, then it's easy that they'll go with a vB or something like that ...
Hm... somehow I dont understand you. Somewhere you wrote that you would like to help by doing the italian support. Great, so the easiest way for you is to buy the software, do the translation and use it yourself and share it with the community in order to make xenForo competive on the italian market.

Free issues wont be the first step i guess. And Im positive that - as soon as the community runs and works - the team of xenForo wont forget about it and that you are getting an advantage somehow, somewhere in which way ever.

When Im going to buy a new type of car I have to pay also... Geez!

Everybody supports getting something for free, DUH

Support the developers creating awesome products, invest in the company by buying a license.

I would rather pay then receive a license free (In this instance).

I like to support projects like this, because I like to see how they come through in comparison the already established platforms (vBulletin/IPB), so even if a free one was given to me, I'm likely to buy a secondary one, even if I had no use for it, just to support the project.

Hm... somehow I dont understand you. Somewhere you wrote that you would like to help by doing the italian support. Great, so the easiest way for you is to buy the software, do the translation and use it yourself and share it with the community in order to make xenForo competive on the italian market.

Free issues wont be the first step i guess. And Im positive that - as soon as the community runs and works - the team of xenForo wont forget about it and that you are getting an advantage somehow, somewhere in which way ever.

When Im going to buy a new type of car I have to pay also... Geez!

yes that's what i'll should do when xf comes out ... :) this is my project now ... hope i can find someone that helps me for this ... :) obviously a free .zip helps me better! :D

I guess I was looking at this from the point of view of encouraging mods and themes to be developed to help the communtiy grow and attract business for the core product.

However, I guess this is more likely to happen with software that doesn't have a (soon to be) active mod base, something that certainly isn't true here - people are chomping at the bit to get into the code and see what they can build.

Anyway, it was just a suggestion - happy to move on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom