XF 1.5 Forums were Hacked – Samet Chan

m0n0L1th1c

As I'm not involved in day-to-day ops of this site, I don't know the full specifics, however a client's Xenforo was hacked.

This is the screenshot of their site:

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 1.27.42 PM.webp

Just for ****s and giggles, I googled "Samet Chan" and this is what I saw. Note the "Xenforo security Developer | Xenforo Console Exploit Kit.

What exactly is that exploit kit and is this person legit?

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 1.28.35 PM.webp

M.

Then you have pretty much confined down to an add-on that has an exploit in it.... as if it was a general XF exploit I can almost guarantee you that you would have WAY more than 1 site exploited.
Do they happen to run any add-ons by a certain Vietnam related "author" that results in a masked username here since he's banned?

Unfortunately, without doing forensics, it will be hard to pinpoint (and even with it, still difficult). That really needs the old database (to gather information on the changes) along with the raw web server access logs.

1.5.10 is a security release, though I doubt the fixed issue was the problem here.

Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 4.03.08 PM.webp
And that user resolves to Gintoki, who states they are a 16YOA female (same as Samet Chan on the other sites I've found).... and looks like they are referring to a cPanel exploit in that thread.
I find it amusing they hide behind CloudFlare also.
I've also found a few other XF sites that "show" to be hacked by them but they actually have a non-dismissable popup that shows up that prevents you from closing the tab. The source code also refers to a youtube video that is restricted in the US (appears to be Japan related).

Their source code for the hacked sites also ties back to gamerotaku.com - which does not have valid whois records - unless someone has changed their name to A Anime and they live at Anime 1337 1337 in Anime Japan.

Ironically, team-trojan.com is using XenForo on their forum. :rolleyes:

Last edited: