Forums running XenForo software with over 100,000 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
checking all those big boards now, there are not many registered members online ?
Seems like FB really destroyed all forums.........

checking all those big boards now, there are not many registered members online ?
Seems like FB really destroyed all forums.........
I'd agree with this statement. Indeed, that s why I started this thread http://xenforo.com/community/threads/are-forum-communities-obsolete.18977/page-4#post-248769

And while I don't think it will destroy all and immediately it has at least severe cripple majority of boards. Two of our competitors have over 1m posts and I noticed traffic decline in the past 2 years on both of their boards as well as on our 600k posts. Even more, biggest board in our region with well over 3m posts basically died.

Same happened with local emails and search engines, when Google came into the market. While not completely erase all it basically killed majority. I don't see forum boards without completely reinvention of the basic post idea to stand longer than couple of years.

FB destroying forums ... Same happened with local emails and search engines, when Google came into the market. While not completely erase all it basically killed majority.
I agree. Facebook has changed the popularity of chit chat forums. People just chit chat on Facebook. Currently, Forums (like Xenforo) don't create good content. A post is not a wikipedia entry. The structure of forums is user managment, not content management. I said before that if Facebook makes Communities that are Content Focused .... I think that could mean the end to forums.

I don't see forum boards without completely reinvention of the basic post idea to stand longer than couple of years.
Definitely possible. Especially if forums don't make content creation a priority.

The bukkit forum now has over 500.000 posts
http://forums.bukkit.org/
This site is very CONTENT oriented. It is almost not a forum.
It is also very focused. People know what they are getting there.
It is also unique, providing unique content.
It is MUCH more than a forum.

FB only "destroyed" the small crappy sites. For us big dawgs, it has helped us generate more traffic.
Agreed.

I said "Forums are notoriously bad at enabling admins and users to create content !"

Kier said: I wasn't aware that forums ever had that task as part of their requirements? You seem to be describing a blog, or a CMS, not a forum.

I think forum only sites will all but die off.
Those with established communities that are managed well ... could do OK.
I hope Xenforo comes up with some killer content tools. Many excellent content tools should be a part of the CORE of Xenforo, not an addon.

Exciting times ahead !

Re-Urban75.net (10 million+ posts)

I've been having a good look around and posting on various threads, everything seems to be working as expected, including a handful of posters moaning about the change. :D

Most of the moaners have now decided they prefer xenForo, which I guess was only to be expected once they had a chance to get use to the new software - a great move for urban and a great advert for xF.

Although there's still a few die-hards moaning about the introduction of avatars, despite there being an avatar-free skin available for them.
facepalm.gif

Converted shinraonline.com from vb4 to Xenforo. So far its been great.
We are a ten year old forum that started off on vb 2.0.1 back in the day.
We probably hit the ten million mark but we do prune older threads.
Not looking to be on the list per se, but thought I'd mention it for those looking to making the switch.

Also, I don't believe that Facebook will kill the forum as we know it. Most of our users don't have Facebook or don't want their account associated with their Facebook account. Facebook is good for keeping in touch with your real life family and friends, but there still a lot of people who would rather not talk to the people they know in real life on the Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom