Forums running XenForo software with over 100,000 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then after that one is the MOSTEST BIGGEREST xF Forums

After that, I think that we have no choice than to go to LUDICROUS Sized xF Forums :)

ludicrous+speed.jpg

Well we did it.

http://www.urban75.net/forums is now running xenForo

About 19 hours to import those posts.

So far, so good.
I've had a strange issue with very slow MySQL processes "Copying to tmp table" running into the hundreds of seconds before having to be manually killed, but I've restarted MySQL and it seems happier so far.

Would love to know the power of the box/boxes that this runs on...??? I have a just-over 1.6M post board and the mysql comes out around 3.5Gig....

Paul

Would love to know the power of the box/boxes that this runs on...??? I have a just-over 1.6M post board and the mysql comes out around 3.5Gig....
The hardware is remarkably modest, which does give us some challenges.
A single server handles both Apache and MySQL; a single quad-core 2.5GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM with a pair of 150GB WD Raptor drives on an Adaptec controller in RAID1.

The boards are free of advertising, funded primarily by user donations (not subs).

I still have a lot of MySQL tuning to do, vB4 was mostly MyISAM so the memory usage for the mostly INNODB xenForo boards is quite different.

Is there a site bigger in another country? Seems like 10 mill is pretty far ahead most if not all others.

Yes, 10 mill posts is a lot, but why so little members? How much traffic do some of these sites get? I'd like to see a site that gets 50,000 uniques/day and see how it runs and know what the server specs are for that site. Until then, I really am not impressed with these "numbers". Seems like there are a lot of sites with lopsided numbers. I want to see high traffic, high member count, high thread/post count...then I can make a determination how everything runs compared to other software.

Yes, 10 mill posts is a lot, but why so little members? How much traffic do some of these sites get? I'd like to see a site that gets 50,000 uniques/day and see how it runs and know what the server specs are for that site. Until then, I really am not impressed with these "numbers". Seems like there are a lot of sites with lopsided numbers. I want to see high traffic, high member count, high thread/post count...then I can make a determination how everything runs compared to other software.
You are correct, the number of posts is just one dimension of a forum. There are other things to consider as you pointed out.

For what it is worth, there will be a better search system for the larger forums in the future. More might start using xf then.

I can tell you we average over 300k hits a day from about 15k uniques and it is majorly faster. Of course SMF is very old software now so you can keep that in mind but its been great for us. Would like to see what happens to it when we get another day where we blow up to 80k visitors in a day and compare it.

On Monday we did 17k visits with 155k page views, if that helps indicate traffic levels. Not massively high by some standards but not bad given the local nature of the boards.

CPU rarely goes over 20% and disk utilisation is much lower than under vB4.

The hardware is remarkably modest, which does give us some challenges.
A single server handles both Apache and MySQL; a single quad-core 2.5GHz CPU and 4GB of RAM with a pair of 150GB WD Raptor drives on an Adaptec controller in RAID1.

The boards are free of advertising, funded primarily by user donations (not subs).

I still have a lot of MySQL tuning to do, vB4 was mostly MyISAM so the memory usage for the mostly INNODB xenForo boards is quite different.

Have you considered nginx+php-fpm as a replacement for apache? Would run even better

We just got our 50,000th post (between 847 members) today after only 5 weeks. Can't wait to be one of the (smallest) biggest Xenforo websites next month when we hit 100,000. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom