Forums running XenForo software with over 100,000 posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd really be intrested to see how a site like WHT (WebHosting Talk) compares on XF to their current vB

I consider them a true big board cause not only of the stats (any site can pad post/member count), but the amount online 24/7 too Their stats, always atleast 2k online with a combo of members and guests Total Threads: 946,994 Total Posts: 6,885,186 Registered Members: 288,709.

http://www.terrariaonline.com/forum/
http://forums.bukkit.org/

This board is converting from vB4 to xF next weekend
It's looking good for the conversion.
(For anyone else reading, I'm the IT guy DoctorWatsOn mentioned).

I did a test import a few months ago and with the addition of the Sphinx add-on it resulted in a usable system on a much lower spec server.

Sorting out a few more add-ons, and drawing up a plan for the conversion now.

I'll post back with the results once the big migration is done.

I did a test import a few months ago and with the addition of the Sphinx add-on it resulted in a usable system on a much lower spec server.

Sorting out a few more add-ons, and drawing up a plan for the conversion now.

I'll post back with the results once the big migration is done.
Good luck :)

Just in case you are not aware: Big Board Search coming soon...

Good luck :)

Just in case you are not aware: Big Board Search coming soon...
Thanks!
Yeah, I saw about the new search thing but I've been putting off the migration long enough and decided to make the move pre-BigSearch and pre-1.1

We can live without some of the 1.1 functionality for a little while, and Sphinx will do pending anything better.

It'll give the users something to look forward to :)

I don't know if this would be useful to track or not in this Big Bigger Biggest XF Forums ... but ... I think we have a nominee for the Big Bigger Biggest xF Threads !

- this member has a THREAD which is 70,000 posts ! (source).

- Discuss: Super Massive Threads here.

even opening it slows the site to a crawl lol, so its closed and hidden

Ok. that's excessive.
Is it fair to say anything over 10,000 is probably excessive ? Discuss here.

I don't know if this would be useful to track or not in this Big Bigger Biggest XF Forums ... but ... I think we have a nominee for the Big Bigger Biggest xF Threads !

- this member has a THREAD which is 70,000 posts ! (source).
Thanks for sharing that bug report, definitely something to keep an eye on for larger boards. I've got several threads in the 50k+ region (the largest is at 110k), so this could be problem as I'm looking to switch to XF soon.

Thanks for sharing that bug report, definitely something to keep an eye on for larger boards. I've got several threads in the 50k+ region (the largest is at 110k), so this could be problem as I'm looking to switch to XF soon.
Any forum software is going to have issues with threads that large.

Currently running a test import against a dedicated MySQL server (Percona 5.5) and a virtual webhost. Last time I did this the post/thread import took 12 hours, the system is running quicker but who knows.... More news to follow.

This thread is starting to get off topic.

Just to clarify, it is for nominating sites which fulfil the criteria in the first post.

Any forum software is going to have issues with threads that large.

The 110k thread was closed years ago, but vB 3.x handled it without issue. vB 3.8 continues to run another active 71k+ thread on the site, even sustaining a load of more than 1500+ active users in the topic.

Well the 10+ million posts on urban75 are slowly being imported into xenForo.....

urban75.webp

I should think you'll pleased when it's all over, you don't seem to have got much sleep last night.

Very cool, whats your normal con-current user numbers?

I am only a member on that board, so I am not sure, the [not so] lazy llama, the board's techie, may answer that when he next posts on here.

He's updated the message on the site to read:

The Urban75 Bulletin Boards are down for the xenForo upgrade.

At 10:55am, 51% of posts had been imported after 9 hours. At that rate, we should be open again on Saturday evening.

Looks like my site drops into the "bigger" group. Just coming up on 610k posts. We just did the VBloat 4.1.3 to Xenforo conversion last weekend, so now that everything has survived, it is time to start adding our custom touches to the site.

MNSubaru.com

Russ

Well we did it.

http://www.urban75.net/forums is now running xenForo
Discussions: 278,234​
Members: 40,473​
About 19 hours to import those posts.

So far, so good.
I've had a strange issue with very slow MySQL processes "Copying to tmp table" running into the hundreds of seconds before having to be manually killed, but I've restarted MySQL and it seems happier so far.

Well we did it.

So far, so good.
I've had a strange issue with very slow MySQL processes "Copying to tmp table" running into the hundreds of seconds before having to be manually killed, but I've restarted MySQL and it seems happier so far.
Feels very quick (as expected); congrats on the successful import and welcome to XF! :)

Well we did it.

So far, so good.

I've been having a good look around and posting on various threads, everything seems to be working as expected, including a handful of posters moaning about the change. :D

A good job, well done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom