Forums in Read Only mode, when closed

Please make this an option on config.php file.
Enable/Disable this from admincp needs admin to be logged in and writing to the database. We need total database in read only mode for best backup. So please make this an option in config.php
We need total read only mode.

IMO No need of login box or user logged in name display on site bcoz site is it total read only mode. Just remove them so user will have no idea if they are logged in or not. If you like show site in read only mode in top message.
Just keep the register button for guests but when they press it tell them board in read only mode and please try in 30mins time etc..
Removing the register button also will make guest feel like this site is too complicated and can't find a way to register and leave.

Last edited:
Would be cool, was able to do this with my old SMF board years ago. Occasionally comes in handy. Of course, now that I think about it, if you have everyone in the Registered group already, you could easily just temporarily disable posting in the permissions, and maybe throw up a notice that "We're in Read-Only Mode," so I guess not a big deal for me. (y)

Would be cool, was able to do this with my old SMF board years ago. Occasionally comes in handy. Of course, now that I think about it, if you have everyone in the Registered group already, you could easily just temporarily disable posting in the permissions, and maybe throw up a notice that "We're in Read-Only Mode," so I guess not a big deal for me. (y)
Posting is not the only thing making changes to the database. Even simple things like Login in, sessions, thread views all make changes to database. So in simple if you allow an user to view any page of the site logged in then you are making lot of changes to the database.

Posting is not the only thing making changes to the database. Even simple things like Login in, sessions, thread views all make changes to database. So in simple if you allow an user to view any page of the site logged in then you are making lot of changes to the database.
I was responding to the OP, who basically said he wanted to put the forums in read only mode and not let users post, not whatever else some of you might have added to the list. Sorry, I didn't read all five pages. ;)

I was responding to the OP, who basically said he wanted to put the forums in read only mode and not let users post, not whatever else some of you might have added to the list. Sorry, I didn't read all five pages. ;)

Haha yeah in an ideal situation, just not allowing posts would be sweet but then that defeats the purpose of such a feature: prevent database writes so maintenance can run without any issues later on. So in order to make such a feature worth the development time, database writes would have to stop completely meaning a lot more functions being disabled.

I'll add my support for this feature as it does seem like a good idea generally. Would also love to see this in XF 2.0 :).

Haha yeah in an ideal situation, just not allowing posts would be sweet but then that defeats the purpose of such a feature: prevent database writes so maintenance can run without any issues later on. So in order to make such a feature worth the development time, database writes would have to stop completely meaning a lot more functions being disabled.

I'll add my support for this feature as it does seem like a good idea generally. Would also love to see this in XF 2.0 :).
Right. I've used it (no posting) in the past just for simple things, though, like having moved a site to a different address, but leaving the old one up just so people could still access it and contact me though it, because inevitably people would run into login issues and emails wouldn't always get to me. I suppose that's an example of an "ideal" situation. But yea, I get it, if you absolutely have to stop all database writes... That wasn't clear to me in the OP, but then I was just casually browsing and didn't read beyond that. ;)

I would love the ability to just temporarily block all creation of new messages, not so much for maintenance as because I want a whole lot of people all at once to take a brief break. :P

I would love the ability to just temporarily block all creation of new messages, not so much for maintenance as because I want a whole lot of people all at once to take a brief break. :p
Change the 'registered' usergroup permissions to cannot post!

I would love the ability to just temporarily block all creation of new messages, not so much for maintenance as because I want a whole lot of people all at once to take a brief break. :p
And think about all the bad things they have posted :)

just curious. is this possible now through some add-on or manual setting? considering there has been no post for more than a year now! thanks.

Top Bottom