ForumMotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why on earth do you need a "backup" site?
Officially, when I was on vBulletin 4 I had a backup site with www.ninjapost.com. That's too expensive so I need another one. Unofficially, sometimes I screw up the site or I may have hosting issues that makes the site go down so they need somewhere to go and I need a way to say hey site's messed up, post here for awhile.

Nope, can't get my head around this one. I'd have thought a mirror using your own domain and another install would be a better "live" backup?

Edit - crossed with your reply, see where you are coming from now with this.

Nope, can't get my head around this one. I'd have thought a mirror using your own domain and another install would be a better "live" backup?

Edit - crossed with your reply, see where you are coming from now with this.
Wait, how do you do that?

Last year I messed something up on the server, I can't even remember what it was but my site was down for several days and when I had asked my host (MDDHosting) for help they wouldn't for whatever reason. I asked several people for help and no one would help me or cared. I ended up fixing the issue. I don't even remember how I fixed it. That's just one reason. And the other reason is cause I'm on a new host and he's still getting the kinks out.

I've got other hosting on an unrelated server and keep off-site backups of the whole forum, so having an emergency mirror is easy to deploy. Fortunately I never used it and therefore it was an exercise in wasting time, since just keeping the database backup was enough to deploy a quick fix anywhere else if I needed it.

The only issue though is if you do need it, you get new content posted elsewhere, then revert back to your original (a bit messy) so your idea of just a standby but otherwise blank forum makes more sense. Sorry when you used the term backup I assumed you meant a sort of clone of your current forum but on a third party host and could not understand the point of it.

I've got other hosting on an unrelated server and keep off-site backups of the whole forum, so having an emergency mirror is easy to deploy. Fortunately I never used it and therefore it was an exercise in wasting time, since just keeping the database backup was enough to deploy a quick fix anywhere else if I needed it.

The only issue though is if you do need it, you get new content posted elsewhere, then revert back to your original (a bit messy) so your idea of just a standby but otherwise blank forum makes more sense. Sorry when you used the term backup I assumed you meant a sort of clone of your current forum but on a third party host and could not understand the point of it.
Oh naw.

Content-wise, yes it's always important to keep backups.

But community-wise, the community needs a place to post, regardless of no content or not.

People get bored and don't like waiting around. No point giving them an excuse to leave for good ya dig.

Yes I dig and am quite liking the idea with a view to flagrantly stealing it :)
lol be my guest. Some posters actually preferred my ninjapost forum back when I had it and you know what? I like ninjapost so much I'd consider moving back to it even Xenforo ceased development. I'd rather do that any other software because Ninjapost is way faster.

I'd never heard of Ninjapost. I just Googled it and their site just contains Lorem Ipsum text but the Google cache shows content which is now gone. Am I missing something?

I'd never heard of Ninjapost. I just Googled it and their site just contains Lorem Ipsum text but the Google cache shows content which is now gone. Am I missing something?
I don't know what happened man it was up awhile ago. Seems he may be having issues.

If it will be used rarely and you don't want to pay anything, MyBB is probably the best free forum software - even if it's a bit of a vB3 clone. The alternatives (phpBB and SMF) are junk.

I feel sorry for your visitors, or posters. I hate free forum solutions such as this.

I shun them all. If a site is on forummotion or any similar free forum site - I don't go there.

This is the stigma you'll have from now on with that particular site.

Which is a shame because ninjapost sounds like a brandable name. Some people in the internet world make ninja posts; hence the phrase "ninja'd" by whoever. 20% of the time Jake Bunce has a stellar answer, and someone else has the same thought, it's "ninja'd." :)

So, yeah.

I don't need your pity dude it's all good.
I'm not trying to be an @$$, so don't take offense. :(
Seems your sites get the same love... paid solution or not.
Thing is, those with the free forum solutions (I mean, most of them) don't commit to the success of the site. Which is why half of those FFS sites like this one don't have posts in them, it's because the admin (half-the-time) don't care about it. So the members feel, neglected.

That's why paid solutions are more looked upon more favorly. Because they want that site to succeed.

That's just my opinion and perspective. :(

Does anyone use Forum Motion? I'm making a backup site. I can't decide between phpbb, invision or punbb

Random but I'm making a http://www.forumotion.com/en/create-forum/
Nope, I'll never use a free hosted forum like that.
On a side note, I did run a site like this once, the script isn't that hard to setup then you can host as many free forums as you want.
There were at one time, dozens and dozens of sites like this, it's nice if yours "catches" on and you can get some ad revenue from it, but it's not as easy as it once was to build traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom