ForumMotion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, I'll never use a free hosted forum like that.
Guess I'm not alone! :)
On a side note, I did run a site like this once, the script isn't that hard to setup then you can host as many free forums as you want.
There were at one time, dozens and dozens of sites like this, it's nice if yours "catches" on and you can get some ad revenue from it, but it's not as easy as it once was to build traction.
Brandon confirms exactly what I'm saying.

It's like this, I'm a member of a site that's focused on multiplayer gaming, and it's on a free forum solution. I don't go there anymore because the site isn't really growing from the thousands of posts that it has collectively... And it keeps changing domain names over and over again. Trying to find the right name for the site.

I even gave them suggestions, but a year later, they took the domain name I bought that's similar to theirs. Not even that, worked for them - wanna know why? Because they didn't really advertise it heavily. They didn't even try.

And multiplayer gaming sites are popular right now. The leader? MP1st.

You put in all your heart and soul into a project, and you want it to succeed, you do everything in your power, and knowledge to take that site to the next level. This is where I think free forum doesn't inspire. Paid software gives the pressure to the owner to get his/her ROI.

I feel sorry for your visitors, or posters. I hate free forum solutions such as this.

I shun them all. If a site is on forummotion or any similar free forum site - I don't go there.

This is the stigma you'll have from now on with that particular site.

Which is a shame because ninjapost sounds like a brandable name. Some people in the internet world make ninja posts; hence the phrase "ninja'd" by whoever. 20% of the time Jake Bunce has a stellar answer, and someone else has the same thought, it's "ninja'd." :)

So, yeah.

Any reason why you shun them? I find the individuals make the forum not necessarily the forum makes the user or dictates the quality of content which at the end of the day is what matters.

Any reason why you shun them? I find the individuals make the forum not necessarily the forum makes the user or dictates the quality of content which at the end of the day is what matters.
It does matter. Like I said [Ahem, edited]: Free Forum Solutions don't inspire that "let's get big" ambition. At one point or another, the owner is going to neglect the site. What's worse is, once that site is popular, you can't take it to your hosted server where vB4/xenForo is hosted.

Re-starting the site is going to be very hard. I've seen many free forums solution sites get popular, re-started on a licensed, and hosted site, fail in the end.

Actually I was talking about the whole hosted script/URL, not just a forum on it. ;)
Google "free forum host" and you'll see 99% of them are running the same script.
The one I used was called SebFlipper I think, but it doesn't look like it's around anymore.

It does matter. Like I said [Ahem, edited]: Free Forum Solutions don't inspire that "let's get big" ambition. At one point or another, the owner is going to neglect the site. What's worse is, once that site is popular, you can't take it to your hosted server where vB4/xenForo is hosted.

Re-starting the site is going to be very hard. I've seen many free forums solution sites get popular, re-started on a licensed, and hosted site, fail in the end.

You're incorrect in that assumption. I'm sure many owners aspire to get big, I've witnessed it and seen it personally numerous times. People neglecting sites can span across the free hosted and paid software spectrum, it's not something exclusives to free hosted sites. When I staffed at invisionfree for a number of years people had the option to purchase the database if they wanted to bring it to a paid solution. I haven't checked if other free hosted solutions offer this service, but I would expect they would. I know IF did.

Everything you apply to free hosted sites can apply to paid solutions. There's benefits to both as well as cons.

Carlos...

As mush as you talk about exactly what you know, it seems to me you would take your own advice. Yet for whatever reason, you don't.

In 6 months time I could take your CODForums site and make it huge, yet the entire time you have had it, it has treaded water. Take your own advice.

I've not really seen a distinction between paid/non-paid either. It's down to the quality of the site, the admin, the members. There are forums and communities running on free software that are infinitely better than some paid-for ones. Look at some of the new forums in the XF showcase, some even after weeks have little traffic and many don't last beyond a few months as a result. The move to paid-for software is often down to security (if you run your forum as a business, it pays to use supported software in the long run) than anything else.

I never said my site was big. It's really not no matter how you view it. I enjoy the site, and certainly don't mind spending time there.
You try to take me down with your "Oh! I can do better than you because my site is getting pretty big." with your "In 6 months I can take your CODForums and make it big."

Such a big mouth, ain't you, Stew.
CODForums is supposedly your baby. Yet, you can peep in nothing happening.... peep in 3 weeks later, nothing happening... rinse, repeat, follow through.
Maybe, if you paid attention to what's going on over there... You wouldn't be saying that. I have been managing the site from time to time. Every morning, I check. Every afternoon, I check. Every Night, I check. When there's new posts, I moderate.

I even take the #@^&ing time to edit each users' post, when they are hard on the eyes. I take the time to correct their posts, I take the time to make their post look good.

Every time a user bump threads trying to get attention to their clan or video, I move all the duplicates out, I warn them, and then leave them alone.

I give people more leeway than a lot of sites out there.

You're an idiot if you think I'm not there. I have been there.

I can't force my users to come over and post more. I can't put a gun to their heads and force them to do something. I let them come and go as they please. And this tactic has worked for me many times than I can count.

Old users come back and post. Honestly, I think most of my old users are waiting for MW4. In fact, I was in a Private Convo with an old user, and he told me he doesn't play the game as much anymore.
You may use Twitter, you may have 17Billion followers... what exactly does that give your forum activity wise?
They see the threads. They like it, they can come over in their own time. If they don't like it, booohoo! Not my #@^&aing problem, you little $#!^.

Every time I post a thread that is about trending or big news, I find people retweeting, favoriting, or tweeting to the account. Thus, being visible. More people seeing CODForums. :)
You may have Facebook, with thousands of likes, a billion messages.... what exactly does that give your forum activity wise?
Same thing here. More people seeing the thread, liking it, talking about the site, and hey, it's collateral damage. :) @$$(...)
Views? Really.. views? You'd rather have people just look at your site, and not participate?
Ahhh.... lol. Mocking, huh? Without those views, I wouldn't be able to grow my site from the 2100 members that I originally bought it as, and go where it is now. It's getting members, whether they want to participate, or not... That's in their own time.

Disrespect me one more time, dude. All bets are off. I will start reporting you.
Either way... just basing my reply off of what you say, and have stated many times throughout the forums.
No, you're not. You're trying to be a jerk.

Keep going, roll your eyes, bonehead! Roll'em!

By the end of 2014, you won't be talking $#!^ about me anymore. By that time, you're going to stop trying to tear my name down.

I have 3 websites all ready, and planned ahead for MW4, and Black Ops 3. So, keep rollin' your eyes. Keep it up.

Why do the same people always have to gang up on 1 guy and cause a riot? :unsure:
One may also ask... why do the same people try to make themselves out to be hot sh*t time and time again, when they run next to nothing forums?

Back on topic... offsite backups are an equally solid solution, allowing you to deploy them quickly in the event of server failure. I honestly think trying to establish a pre-defined backup forum is more effort than it's worth. Why not simply have a zipped backup of your site daily, ready to upload and deploy on any server in minutes?

I was trying to help you out... by telling you to follow your own advice.

Also, just to clarify.. when I said:
In 6 months time I could take your CODForums site and make it huge, yet the entire time you have had it, it has treaded water. Take your own advice.

The 6 months and "me" part... is not unique to me... "stewart1champ". Anyone who gave a **** and tried to make that forum BOOM could. Not just a me thing... anyone who put the time and effort into it that is required could easily make that a successful place.

You just continually live off that domain name, thinking it is this magic elixir that will guarantee success... and it isn't. I personally wouldn't call CODForums successful. Others man, and of course they have their views and opinions as well. However, my stance is you are failing.

I was trying to help you out... by telling you to follow your own advice.
That's kind of like saying "go get a taste of your own medicine." Jerk! :mad:
The 6 months and "me" part... is not unique to me... "stewart1champ". Anyone who gave a **** and tried to make that forum BOOM could. Not just a me thing... anyone who put the time and effort into it that is required could easily make that a successful place.
Who the #@^& are you to say I did not put in time and effort into my site!? That's what I'm pissed off about. I put everything I've got into CODForums and for you to spit at MY FACE... Got me riled up. :mad:
You just continually live off that domain name, thinking it is this magic elixir that will guarantee success... and it isn't. I personally wouldn't call CODForums successful. Others man, and of course they have their views and opinions as well. However, my stance is you are failing.
Who said I live off the domain name, you moron!? YOU! I didn't say $#$!^ :mad:

I'm failing because a guy that spent around $45 on awalkerbit.me and grew it so large that he has the balls to say I'm a failure.

Continue down this road, Stew. Keep going. I have more than enough ammo to put you into trouble.

I told you, next time you disrespect me, I will begin to report you. So, since you did continue, it starts now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom