[ForumApps] Native Mobile Apps for XenForo [Deleted]

So... am I right in saying push is still going to be available then? Or am I totally confused with the last post on the other thread regarding the app itself? Push is what we want, definitely.

So... am I right in saying push is still going to be available then? Or am I totally confused with the last post on the other thread regarding the app itself? Push is what we want, definitely.
Yeah, push notifications is already incorporated in our app. I was talking about a totally different service there.

So since fixing the push notification to correct post issue the app is a lot more usable. Thank you @Aayush.

What are the XF 2 plans?

I have a lot more app users however I'm noticing that a lot of quoted replies from app users are empty leading me to believe that the Reply mechanism is not user friendly. Currently hitting reply on a post highlights it and hitting the reply key will allow you to post a quoted reply without content. We need better UX here. I would recommend the following but your choice:
1. Hit Reply (Quote) existing message should trigger 'something' to indicate to user that they can now type a reply. I would suggest at a minimum a message or generate new prompt text in the Reply field to start typing. It has to visually trigger something or user won't know what to do.
2. Hit Reply/Quote without text in reply field should be prevented i.e. trigger same message you do today when replying with an empty message
3. You should really show Quoted author in the quoted text block

So since fixing the push notification to correct post issue the app is a lot more usable. Thank you @Aayush.

What are the XF 2 plans?

I have a lot more app users however I'm noticing that a lot of quoted replies from app users are empty leading me to believe that the Reply mechanism is not user friendly. Currently hitting reply on a post highlights it and hitting the reply key will allow you to post a quoted reply without content. We need better UX here. I would recommend the following but your choice:
1. Hit Reply (Quote) existing message should trigger 'something' to indicate to user that they can now type a reply. I would suggest at a minimum a message or generate new prompt text in the Reply field to start typing. It has to visually trigger something or user won't know what to do.
2. Hit Reply/Quote without text in reply field should be prevented i.e. trigger same message you do today when replying with an empty message
3. You should really show Quoted author in the quoted text block

Glad you loved it. Yes, we feel the same about the reply UX. If you hit the expand arrow, you can see the quoted text clearly. Since we have a very limited space for the reply box at the bottom, we decided not to show quoted text there and reduce the comfort of writing posts easily. We could however, make it expand automatically or have an indicator about the number of posts quoted to the left of the bar.

I was very confused by the email as well. I contacted ThemeHouse and they said, "we are merely support the application."

Surprised there wasn't an announcement / more details posted here at the same time as TH sent out a mass email.

I'd love to use an app like this, but I also must have support for my other major content areas like @Bob's Article Management System.

It seems that I only have 2 choices when it comes to apps for XF:
  1. App / webview wrapper: Supports every addon, etc. and maintains the look of my site, but can be a pain to setup and no really good way to support push notifications for both Android and iOS
  2. Native app: Clean interface, push notification support, but only works with core XF forum

I was very confused by the email as well. I contacted ThemeHouse and they said, "we are merely support the application."

Surprised there wasn't an announcement / more details posted here at the same time as TH sent out a mass email.

I'd love to use an app like this, but I also must have support for my other major content areas like @Bob's Article Management System.

1. App / webview wrapper: Supports every addon, etc. and maintains the look of my site, but can be a pain to setup and no really good way to support push notifications for both Android and iOS
  2. Native app: Clean interface, push notification support, but only works with core XF forum

Now I'm totally baffled. Why on earth would you want to middleman support for a third party app?

Very much enjoying the endless rivers of conjecture before someone official sounding chimes in to ruin it all. Perhaps they ate Aayush and are now forced to support his apps? :)

@ThemeHouse @Mike Creuzer

I did notice the affiliate link.

I also noticed that the affiliate link price is higher than ordering direct.

$25 vs $20 a month.

1512769891189.webp

Look, I don't have anything at all against affiliate links, or companies in the same space teaming up to support eachother.

But it just feels weird having Theme House emailing me about some new app, that has no disclosure whatsoever about their affiliation with the app. It feels like it's a Theme House app the way it's all written and promoted.

Then to see it looks like they're making money off of the affiliate links by inflating the price? That seems odd. I really don't even care about that, the price is very low already, so it's not the actual cost, it's just the lack of transparency that feels off.

I've got nothing against Theme House, I have a subscription with them. And I think Aayushs' app is the best thing we've got going at the moment for XF in terms of mobile and it's incredibly important to this space, so I want him to get the most exposure possible so that he gets the funds to develop his project faster. But like others have said, I'm just plain confused by this.

$25 vs $20 a month.

View attachment 163629

Look, I don't have anything at all against affiliate links, or companies in the same space teaming up to support eachother.

But it just feels weird having Theme House emailing me about some new app, that has no disclosure whatsoever about their affiliation with the app. It feels like it's a Theme House app the way it's all written and promoted.

Then to see it looks like they're making money off of the affiliate links by inflating the price? That seems odd. I really don't even care about that, the price is very low already, so it's not the actual cost, it's just the lack of transparency that feels off.

I've got nothing against Theme House, I have a subscription with them. And I think Aayushs' app is the best thing we've got going at the moment for XF in terms of mobile and it's incredibly important to this space, so I want him to get the most exposure possible so that he gets the funds to develop his project faster. But like others have said, I'm just plain confused by this.
Yeah that's a bit of tomfoolery there.. Not quite transparent. Trying to bluff but let the cat out of the bag too soon by accident it seems.
it may be £5, which is not a lot.... but over time plus memberbase, it's a lot.
It's like the local garage charging you that 1p extra for petrol you didn't actually use at the pump. No matter how we avoid it, it always goes to £20.01
Sadly without any info they're leaving us to make up our own minds. We need this as much as anyone but over the last few weeks it's been total confusion so what are we all meant to do or think about this?
Straight talking and answers about everything encapsulated would be nice so we all knew where we stood. :sneaky:

Noted the need for AMS. Any other blog systems people might be using?

If you're super addon heavy then having native app with only core can be a problem.

$25 vs $20 a month.

View attachment 163629

Direct link costs the same now. If you buy annual subscription, it comes out to be $20/mo plus a lower setup fees. Sorry about no disclosures, I was sent this email before and I kind of missed it. Merely an oversight on my end.

Yeah that's a bit of tomfoolery there.. Not quite transparent. Trying to bluff but let the cat out of the bag too soon by accident it seems.
it may be £5, which is not a lot.... but over time plus memberbase, it's a lot.
It's like the local garage charging you that 1p extra for petrol you didn't actually use at the pump. No matter how we avoid it, it always goes to £20.01
Sadly without any info they're leaving us to make up our own minds. We need this as much as anyone but over the last few weeks it's been total confusion so what are we all meant to do or think about this?
Straight talking and answers about everything encapsulated would be nice so we all knew where we stood. :sneaky:
What do you mean? I'm here to answer any questions you might have.

Top Bottom