forum versions and..

User99

1.) since xenforo has annual fees for updates/support does that mean that future versions are included? or will "major" versions still be segregated as separate purchases as well? ie: if i buy XF v1, will i be able to download and use any and all future versions, including "major" --v2, v3, .. v99-- ones, as long as I have an "active" license, which currently means the $40 annual fee? (assuming core forum software only)

2.) does the forum software require any "XenForo Ltd." access to function as intended? ie: as a hosted forum on the internet. in other words, does it have any "drm" or remote kill switch? (may sound paranoid, but before i buy, i want to know, explicitly, that if i wanted to, i could buy a xenforo license, download and install the software and run my site for as long as i want (thirdparty costs notwithstanding, since that's on me obviously) without having to "rely" on you (XenForo Ltd.) or your servers for anything. i want to make sure that the core ($140) forum is a self contained and complete package and that it is not a "service" that requires some kind of "connection" that if unavailable will cease to work or if not completely cease, retard or diminish the forum capabilities and/or features.

this is it for now.

From what I know you as long as the new version comes out while within the period that you have paid for, upgrading is free. So you get charged by the year and not the version releases.

Buying the licenses allows you to use it on any host that you wish, the software is completely self contained to use anywhere you want. Meaning you are able to download the core files needed to run the software.

Hope this helps.

All the above is true.
You buy a license and that lets you run it on any host for only 1 site per license for 12 months with all future releases and support.
When license expires you will no longer be able to download new versions until you pay for the license extension. You will still be able to download previous versions.
The Xenforo team is not that one developer we cannot name here, and they wont kill your site once your license expires.
Once its yours, its your forever without any issues or anything like that.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just to clarify, anyone with an active XF license will be able to upgrade to XF 2.0 for no extra charge. Any XF license will allow you to download any previous version.

XF 2.0 will be available to anyone with an active license.

If you have an active license now you can start testing the upgrade process with the public beta.
XenForo 2.0 will be available at no additional cost to anyone with an active license.

the purchase page (initial) wants an address and a phone number. i'm not sure why it wants (and i assume requires) one. why does xen care where my place is? (i'm not comfortable giving out my address to a forum software company.) as for a phone, i don't actually have one. (can i enter 1234567890?) i'm still going to purchase, but i want to know if those are absolute requirements xen really wants or if using "n/a" would be oaky.

the purchase page (initial) wants an address and a phone number. i'm not sure why it wants (and i assume requires) one. why does xen care where my place is? (i'm not comfortable giving out my address to a forum software company.) as for a phone, i don't actually have one. (can i enter 1234567890?) i'm still going to purchase, but i want to know if those are absolute requirements xen really wants or if using "n/a" would be oaky.

It's very normal for software sellers to require an address, in fact it's a legal requirement in order to comply with EU law. On my sales site I ask for phone numbers, it can be useful as a point of contact if there are queries about the order. However if you have reason to suspect it may be used for nefarious purposes I'm sure putting in a bogus number would be fine. (edit, this is my own site I mean - I can't answer for xenForo)

However I suggest you contact xenforo via ticket (i.e. the contact form at the bottom of the page)

Last edited:
right.. so i fill out the form and it requires paypal. what? you show visa as one of the accepted payment methods, yet it somehow goes (wants to) through paypal? what is this? i have a physical visa credit card. that is what i want to use. i'm not interested in paypal. you accept pure visa c/c or nothing but paypal?

Not sure how it’s weird. They are just our preferred payment provider.

We we can offer credit card payments using Stripe too. If you’d like us to enable it, just contact us: https://xenforo.com/contact/

Isn't this their new version, trying to look as cools as Stripe, but in fact it's very very buggy?
Don’t think so. IIRC they've offered the checkout as guest stuff for ages though it is odd how it’s not available to everyone.

Don’t think so. IIRC they've offered the checkout as guest stuff for ages though it is odd how it’s not available to everyone.

That's what I mean, in the old one it the credit card option always there, but with the new one I also notice it sometimes isn't.

On my woo commerce store it disappeared when they brought in the new "improved" look. Now it is back so I think maybe they are sorting out the bugs.

i see. not home right now, will attempt again. still weird and funny how paypal is doing it or is somehow involved.

There is always a gateway involved, it could be Worldpay, Sage, Stripe, PayPal or many others. The main difference being that in addition PayPal also has user accounts - i.e. it functions not just as a gateway but also as a bank account. When you have an account there, it is basically a bank account without a cheque book.

Top Bottom