Forum V Blog

Hello,

I am lost between choosing a blog script or a form script to launch my website. I am not sure if I go for a blog or a forum.

The thing is that many and increasing number of fast-growing and established blogs have been, and, are, selling for millions of dollars - look at http://www.incomediary.com/20-top-blog-sales-sell-your-blog-for-millions

But, I can't find any forum-websites, based on scripts such as XenForo, that have been sold for large sums? Or, am I mistaken?

I mean why are busy blogs selling for millions of dollars and no forum-based website has been sold for millions of dollars?

All feedback and any directions appreciated.

Bill

Hello,

I am lost between choosing a blog script or a form script to launch my website. I am not sure if I go for a blog or a forum.

The thing is that many and increasing number of fast-growing and established blogs have been, and, are, selling for millions of dollars - look at http://www.incomediary.com/20-top-blog-sales-sell-your-blog-for-millions

But, I can't find any forum-websites, based on scripts such as XenForo, that have been sold for large sums? Or, am I mistaken?

I mean why are busy blogs selling for millions of dollars and no forum-based website has been sold for millions of dollars?

Bill

Just look at the acquisitions made by Internet Brands
http://www.inquisitr.com/18812/inte...-28-million-in-qtr-4-and-why-you-should-care/

Or others less recent like
  • The Frugal Travel Guy
  • WedingBee
  • Just Mommies
  • Expert Hub
  • Nolo
  • CarAudioForumz

So, if you are in the business of building a community, having it get traction to finally sell it for a value as a product, there are forums that have achieved that. If the quoted amount is correct, for a handsome amount too.

To be better at that game, it helps to have a focused community that can be used to drive sales of an actual product, or that has a target audience that is attractive for brands to advertise at.

The actual solution (Blog, Forum), is completely irrelevant. You could be using vBulletin, XenForo, IPB and that would not matter at all. What matters it the content that you have, your traffic and how attractive it is from the advertising point of view.

Just look at the acquisitions made by Internet Brands
http://www.inquisitr.com/18812/inte...-28-million-in-qtr-4-and-why-you-should-care/

Or others less recent like
  • The Frugal Travel Guy
  • WedingBee
  • Just Mommies
  • Expert Hub
  • Nolo
  • CarAudioForumz

So, if you are in the business of building a community, having it get traction to finally sell it for a value as a product, there are forums that have achieved that. If the quoted amount is correct, for a handsome amount too.

To be better at that game, it helps to have a focused community that can be used to drive sales of an actual product, or that has a target audience that is attractive for brands to advertise at.

The actual solution (Blog, Forum), is completely irrelevant. You could be using vBulletin, XenForo, IPB and that would not matter at all. What matters it the content that you have, your traffic and how attractive it is from the advertising point of view.

I see, yes. But, no forum discussion has been sold for a price anywhere close to those fetched by blogs

It'll take a long time and a lot of hard work to build a site that you can sell for a million; but as to blog or forum, only you can decide that.

If you do decide to start a forum then XenForo is excellent software and very well priced for the features and modern framework you get. It's very easy to modify and manage and end-users find it a breeze to use. (y)

I see, yes. But, no forum discussion has been sold for a price anywhere close to those fetched by blogs

Hmmm... let's see... most blogs have input by a set number of authors.
Hmmm... lets see... most forums have content by validated members of said forum.
Hmmm... let's see.. blogs have more control over content due to limited number of authors.
Hmmm... let's see.. forums have less control over content due to numerous "authors".
Wonder if those things could have anything to do with it.
Most every blog I have seen (in relation to the types referred to by the site you posted) strictly controlled content - unless it is a site that allows individuals to have their own blogs.

Hmmm... let's see... most blogs have input by a set number of authors.
Hmmm... lets see... most forums have content by validated members of said forum.
Hmmm... let's see.. blogs have more control over content due to limited number of authors.
Hmmm... let's see.. forums have less control over content due to numerous "authors".
Wonder if those things could have anything to do with it.
Most every blog I have seen (in relation to the types referred to by the site you posted) strictly controlled content - unless it is a site that allows individuals to have their own blogs.

Jalopnik (a car blog) is rolling out a blog that their readers can start on their own, and it's integrated into the main blog. I haven't had the opportunity to check it out myself, as I'm too busy running a forum, writing for the Examiner and other sites...but it looks interesting.

Hello,

Bill

The thing about forums/blogs/whatever is the sites that do sell for millions of dollars are also the best at the topic that they are geared towards. Those same sites have also been online for years and years with millions upon millions of page views each and every single day. Don't start a site thinking you are going to make millions off of it. If you do you are getting into it for the wrong reason and most likely will fail. You have to have an interest in the site/topic of site to get it off the ground and keep it alive through the dark times cause you won't go from 0 members to 1,000,000 over night. It will take years of hard work and dedication. That's why those sites that sell for large sums of money sell for how much they do sell for that much. It won't be something you start up and six months later have someone write you a check for $1,000,000.

Think of it this way. How much content are YOU willing to write? If you can write a lot, choose a blog. If you want OTHERS to build your site for you, choose a forum. It's all about gathering eyeballs. That's what companies pay for. Which one will attract more, then that's your answer.

Top Bottom